Quantcast

Favorite Grips in 2021?

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
Renthal ultra tacky is unreal in the wet. Wear out super quick though.
ODI Hoder is my current fave for the shock absorption. Once my renthal lock on wear out I'm moving back to push ons. Hairspray and wire or just glue to eliminate throttle grip. WD40 also works apparently since it melts the rubber on to the bar as it evaporates. Yet to try though.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Hoarding grip!
Screenshot_20210805-200947_Gallery.jpg

The odi longneck are on the bike. Feels really good after a short gloveless ride. I don't usually ride gloveless for the record.

Top left are Shadow's Matt Ray grip which falls in-between S&M Hoder (softest) and Chromag Wax in term of softness of the bar.

Don't expect a deep review. Most of them will likely gather dust in a drawer :agree:

And I used compressed air to mount these push ons on the bar. I hope I will not need wire to hold them in place...?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Renthal grip glue works for a while.

Lately, I've been just using a wide (not overlapping at all) wrap of electrical tape on the bar to give slip / push-on grips a little more ID to cling to.

No, I don't ride in the wet ever, but sometimes the baking sun causes the grips to move inwards a little bit.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Cheap can of hairspray to give some tackiness after the initial wet has helped you slide the grips on.

I think the can on my shelf next to suspension oil is 15 years old. Maybe I'll just throw that one away lest it explode.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Cheap can of hairspray to give some tackiness after the initial wet has helped you slide the grips on.

I think the can on my shelf next to suspension oil is 15 years old. Maybe I'll just throw that one away lest it explode.
Works great until you get caught in a rain storm.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I exchanged emails with the guy at RevGrips and he's sending me a different set of the grips (RG5s) and softer inserts. His diagnosis was that the Half Waffles I was using were too small for my hands, causing both my hand to rotate over the grip (causing hot spots) and over-gripping to compensate (causing arm pump). I'll give those a shot to see. The RG5 pattern was the other one I was eyeing initially. I just made plans for a Northstar trip next month, so it'll be great if these things perform as advertised for that.
Here's a third update on my RevGrip experiences. I liked the RG5 better than the Half Waffles, but ordered a set of the "mediums" to try also. I like those the best by far. The rubber is super tacky, and the average thickness feels quite a bit more than the RG5, particularly at the end of the hand, despite what the guide says. Brand new, the rubber feels like broken in ODIs, which is great. When it's warm, I literally peel my gloves off it. My Northstar trip ended up never happening because of wildfire smoke, but I did get a trip to Downieville in that gave me the opportunity for sustained descents. I never ended up getting claw hand - the biggest thing holding me back after 2 days of big fast descents was actually shoulder & neck tightness. So they appear to be working as advertised. I haven't had any issues with the lockrings moving despite taking a few spills, and the rubber is holding up pretty well too.

Even though I wear a size medium glove, I am kind of tempted to try the size large grip, just to see what a little bit more of the awesome rubber feels like over the plastic core.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
If you actually Rev a rev grip hard it explodes!
If you actually like that horrible rotation Rev grips offer try Sam Hill super soft compound grips. They do the same thing at a fraction of the cost .

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I like Deity Knuckledusters. Slight throttle action as well. Good vibration damping. I prefer them over foam grips.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Yep, I got mine from Sensus directly.

I have unlocked a new achievement level paying over $40 for grips.

Meaty Paws are so much bigger than normal grips that I had to adjust my brake lever position.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yep, I got mine from Sensus directly.

I have unlocked a new achievement level paying over $40 for grips.

Meaty Paws are so much bigger than normal grips that I had to adjust my brake lever position.
Let me tell you about these new valve stems...