Quantcast

Favorite guitar players

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
I'd have to say that by far mine is......

Eddie Van Halen.

If you also consider bass then I would have to go with Michael Anthony (yes...you're seing a trend here). The guy is nuts even when he's off stage (met him YEARS back along with Sammy Hagar at my cousin's place at Newport Beach).

Oh, also Joe Perry.

Yep...I'm one of the few kids out there that likes classic rock more then the new stuff.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
The fact that you used Satriani and Malmsteen in the same context indicates that you have not heard much Satriani. Satch's music is about so much more than speed.
well, you are right about me not hearing much of their music.

And I really don't understand your attempt to compare guitar with vocals. It doesn't make any sense at all.
i would think that it would point to a general stylistic preference for the music you listen to, no?

And Neil Young is a completely worthless guitar player. I'm a better guitar player than he is.....
you obviously are listening for different reasons/aspects than me. technical ability is just one area; emotional impact is far more important to me.

neil's got more power in his single note guitar solo in 'down by the river' than a billion <insert flashy guitar player here> wankfests.

name a better song than 'cortez the killer'. or one w/ the reach and feel of 'on the beach'.

you probably hate Dylan too.

like i said, we are likely approaching our music from two opposite angles.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
serious question:

do the people who adore guitar 'virtuosos' (ie, satriani, malmsteen, etc) also like their vocalists to have a 6 octave range and sing as many notes as possible in the shortest available time span?
I know what you're getting at. I feel the same way with drummers. I'll take Zigaboo over every metal speed freak anyday.

hokie77

Chimp
Dec 5, 2007
Virginia
I like to think of musical styles as emotions...Only a fool limits themself to only one. That's why I like rap, metal, blues, funk, country, classical, etc. Anyone mention the father of modern guitar, Robert Johnson? How about Kerry King? And I'll definitely second the nomination for Slash. G'N'R may be my all-time favorites. And what's the guy's name with Suicidal Tendencies?

giantkenny

Chimp
Jan 26, 2008
Malaysia
i don't think anyones mentioned:

Gary Moore, he is one of my all time favs
Mark Knopfler he too is one of my all time favs
Angus Young
Yeah. Mark Knopfler and Gary Moore. All time fav of mine. xD

Yep...I'm one of the few kids out there that likes classic rock more then the new stuff.
ditto. count me in. music these days does not fill the length of last time's music. now its all 3 to 4mins of stuff. where has all the instruments gone to? lol