Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
pre-cooked chicken
mexicalli dip
salad with tons of veg from fridge
soft tortillas
olives and cheddar

spread on wrap and roll and get that down your neck.
cheap cause it's left overs

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
black bean, rice & cheese burrito - $1.80 at the Taco Stand.

Every Friday like clockwork.

Word.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Heidi said:
black bean, rice & cheese burrito - $1.80 at the Taco Stand.

Every Friday like clockwork.
Weekends must be stinky. :)

Quick and cheap: Tacos from El Charrito, probably the best I've had in NoVA.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
BikeGeek said:
Weekends must be stinky. :)
Nope, beans are a big part of my diet and always have been, so I guess my body is just used to them because they have no effect on me. :)

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Heidi said:
Nope, beans are a big part of my diet and always have been, so I guess my body is just used to them because they have no effect on me. :)
Flatulence producing foods are typically high in polysaccharides (especially oligosaccharides such as inulin) and include beans, milk, onions, sweet potatoes, cheese, cashews, broccoli, cabbage, Jerusalem artichokes, oats, yeast in breads, etc.

In beans, endogenous gases seem to arise from oligosaccharides, carbohydrates that are resistant to digestion. These pass through the upper intestine largely unchanged, and when they reach the lower intestine, bacteria feed on them, producing copious amounts of flatus.

Interest in the causes of flatulence was spurred by high-altitude flight and the space program; the low atmospheric pressure, confined conditions, and stresses peculiar to those endeavours were cause for concern (McGee, 1984 pp.257–8).

Certain spices counteract the production of intestinal gas, most notably cumin, caraway and the closely related ajwain, turmeric, asafoetida (hing) and konbu kelp (a Japanese seaweed).

Many people report that by reducing intake of most refined carbohydrates (such as rice, pasta, potatoes and bread), the amount of flatulence may decrease significantly.

The water-soluble oligosaccharides in beans that contribute to production of intestinal gas can be reduced through a regime of brief boiling followed by a long period of soaking, but at a cost of also leaching out other water-soluble nutrients. Some legumes also stand up to prolonged cooking, which can help break down the oligosaccharides into simple sugars.

Fermentation also breaks down oligosaccharides, which is why fermented bean products such as miso and tofu are less likely to produce as much intestinal gas.

Often it is helpful to ingest small quantities of acidic liquids with meals, such as lemon juice or vinegar, to stimulate the production of hydrochloric acid, which in turn increases enzyme production. This facilitates digestion and may limit gas production.

Finally, galactosidase is a naturally occurring enzyme that people who eat a lot of beans etc build up naturally, so they're less likely to build up the oligosaccharides.

Of course, I could be wrong...

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
BikeGeek said:
Holy cow! Are you working on your thesis? :)
No, but in my job these days, it pays to know something about things your clients are worried about.

It's not like i memorized it completely...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Trader Joes frozen food is the best cheap meal going. When eating out a Top Hat burger, frome Top Hat's on main street in ventura, does the trick, or a Maggies burrito. Del Taco can also be had for very cheap.

trickten

Chimp
Jul 13, 2005
Mid - MI
My fav quick meals:

Grilled cheese w/ham dipped in tomato soup
PB & J sanwich
PB spread on toast with a banana wrapped hot dog style
B-B-Qued hot dogs,
chili
Taco Bell's 1/2 lbs beef and potato burrito