Quantcast

Favorite Software to rip CD's to Mp3's?

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Short notice, but I'm heading to Fry's in an hour or so and would like to know everyone's favorite software to rip CD's to Mp3's.

Help? I need an actual preferance as opposed to a Google search...

Thanks!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Lame is the only way to fly. 160-190 VBR mp3s should work well. Normal preset is good.

Blind "taste" tasters can't detect the difference between original and compressed once you get up to 160 VBR - that includes audophiles.

You can find plugins if you don't want to use CLI with lame for WinAMP or QMP. A user friendly setup is QMP and lame encoder plugin (you have to download the LAME library separate since some people like certain builds better than the others).

ChuMaiWang

Chimp
Jun 30, 2006
CDex

It will connect to CDDB and name the files in any format that you want. (Track # - Album Name - Song Name, ect)

:biggrin:

Edit: It is free as well

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
iTunes creates ACC files, no? Then you'd have to convert them in a second step to MP3's.

Back a few years i used the CDRipper that came with WinAmp, but I think that's been taken out of the more recent versions...
I'm pretty sure there's an option in iTunes to have it convert files to MP3, or just straight rip 'em into MP3. At least I thought there was that option...

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
I'm pretty sure there's an option in iTunes to have it convert files to MP3, or just straight rip 'em into MP3. At least I thought there was that option...
You're right. I just checked. In the 'Advanced' tab you can set the encoder to MP3.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
From what i'm reading and hearing, AAC (not, as i previously typed, ACC) has a 'more advanced codec' than the original MP3, and rivals the newer OGG [gah!] codec.

A few audiophiles have mentioned that the AAC-MPEG-4 codec is not as good as the older MP3 and nowhere near as good as the new OGG sound.

I can't tell the difference on files ripped above 160 anyway....

Y

yadadada

Free RIP... awesome freeware... it's SO easy to use and finds the album online in less than a second so you can import track lists and all that stuff. I have been looking for something like this since I got my ipod and between my and my boyfriends apporx 1000 CD's, all 60 GB are full. :banana:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
if you give a damn about the quality of the rip, EAC/LAME is the only option. and it's free.

sure, it's a little bit more involved to use, but there are tons of FAQ sites out there via google to get you going, and once you set it up, that's it.