Quantcast

favorite sushi

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ok, so you go to a sushi bar...what are the absolute standards you must have. my top 3 picks are:

• salmon (probably my all-time fave)
  • toro (if they have it, so damned good)
  • mackarel (has a nice almost lemony flavor, and it's cheap, offsetting the cost of the toro)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Salmon and Tuna, and I prefer sashimi, I don't like getting any seaweed or rice in the way of my raw meat.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
narlus said:
ok, so you go to a sushi bar...what are the absolute standards you must have. my top 3 picks are:

• salmon (probably my all-time fave)
  • toro (if they have it, so damned good)
  • mackarel (has a nice almost lemony flavor, and it's cheap, offsetting the cost of the toro)
DUDE...that is also my top 3!! I LOVE Saba (Mackerel) but not many people like it since it's really strong.

If it's a specialty sushi place and I know they have fresh fish, I've GOT to have Uni (Sea Urchin) and Ikura (Salmon Rowe).

Unagi is also good, but I have to take the skin off...hard to digest for me.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
my wife digs unagi so i usually grab one from her. there's a korean place which makes unagi bi bim bap, which rules.

i have yet to try uni...gotta do it sooner or later. can't say i'm a big fan of the salmon roe (tastes like low tide) or the squid (kinda gummy and chalky).

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
RM...where is the best place for sushi in the Denver/Boulder area keeping in mind cost is the biggest factor....

oh and for me I like the spicy tuna rolls the best too...as well as the eel...what's that called again.

(Yeah, I'm a tuna newbie...i love it but had it only 5 or 6 times...its pricey!)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
unagi rocks. outside of that i like salmon as well, and inarizushi

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Toshi said:
unagi rocks. outside of that i like salmon as well, and inarizushi
Hey Toshi - in case you haven't already discovered this place, check out Musashi's on 45th in Wallingford. It's tiny but the sushi's decent and a great value. It's easy to find - just look for the big crowd waiting outside on the sidewalk for table or spot at the bar (all four of them :p).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
DamienC said:
Hey Toshi - in case you haven't already discovered this place, check out Musashi's on 45th in Wallingford. It's tiny but the sushi's decent and a great value. It's easy to find - just look for the big crowd waiting outside on the sidewalk for table or spot at the bar (all four of them :p).
k, will do. i have done absolutely no exploring, so i haven't discovered anything except for the familiar halls of uwajimaya :D

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
I honestly can't tell you, it all tastes the same to me because I drench it in wasabi. You ain't got enough wasabi on your food until it starts gushin outta yer nose!!! :thumb:

2piece

Chimp
May 30, 2004
Wake Forest, NC.
Westy said:
Salmon and Tuna, and I prefer sashimi, I don't like getting any seaweed or rice in the way of my raw meat.
Sashimi...right on. I like everything EXCEPT for the fatty tuna. I hate to admit this, but I do once in a while hit the local Harris Teeters for a quick fix. Usually with a orange roll;)

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
Thats just torture...Here I am stuck in front of the box and someone has to bring up sushi..... My top fave is Uni...Good god, its like taking a bite of some crazy ocean avacado...soooo damn good I am in pain just thinkin about it. My second fave is Toro.. Sashimi is great too....

My favorite toast at the sushi bar... "Heres to slow fish and fast knives."