Quantcast

Feedback on the mongoose gravity bikes (pinn'r & boot'r)

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
I recently tried a pinn'r of a friend of mine and it was waaaay better than I was expecting it to be. BB's really low, everything's solid, pedals well, and soaks things up. Only problem seems to be the really steep head angle. It's advertised at 66 but it seems steeper.

I've heard about these bikes being great value but i was wondering how they compared to your typical "race frames". These bikes seem like real shredders. I have an angleset which would solve the problem of the head angle and would put the 13.8in BB in the DH race bike category.

Most of the riders I know who have used this frame haven't had experience with more modern bikes so it's hard to get a real comparison. Can anyone give input? Is there a catch to this seemingly awesome bike for the price?

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Unfortunately, Mongoose 2012 bikes are not available for purchase in the United States.

OVERVIEW
MSRP: $5,000
Overview: The Boot'r got a huge facelift this year with an all-new frame design, featuring aggressive tube shapes and dialed paint schemes. Every Boot'r model comes equipped with our patented Freedrive suspension system and dialed parts packages to help you own any DH course - the choice of Mongoose Team Rider Steve Romaniuk
All-New Mongoose Freedrive DH Frame 210mm travel with Fox DHX RC2 rear shock & RockShox Boxxer R2C2 Suspension Fork
SRAM X0 rear derailleur & SRAM X0 shifter; Funn Hooka DH crank with E13 LG1 chainguide
Avid Code Hydraulic Disc Brakes
*MSRP reflects US pricing and does not include freight & assembly and may vary by region

* Unfortunately, Mongoose 2012 bikes are not available for purchase in the United States.

Please contact us at custserv-mongoose@cyclingsportsgroup.com with comments, feedback or for further information.

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
I own the 2010 Mongoose Boot'r Team. Bought it clearout this June 2011. Awesome spec package. XO/Boxxer Team/Vivid 5.1/Elixir CR/etc/etc/etc.

I only had 5 DH rides on it - Bromont x 2, Diablo, 7Spring, Plattekill - and one local set up ride. But it handles things VERY WELL!!

Wheelbase slightly shorter than maybe many current race bikes... but I have not found the HA to be too steep at all. It was actually very good. It does soak up almost anything (although I do not do anything 'movie big'). Diablo drops and jumps all handled well - loved the steeps of Plattekill (found Minion DHF tires brought out sooo much for this bike).

Linkages very tight and smooth. I am about 215lbs, and like to ride fast and hard - and nothing at all loose or sloppy.

Having said all this - I am selling mine. Reason is simple, through work I am getting a new frame. I have lots of pics if you wish to see close ups, but really its a very very good ride - and an incredible value. I paid $2300 (plus taxes) on Clearout in June 2011 for a BRAND NEW Boot'r Team. Incredible when you consider Boxxer Team/Vivid 5.1 alone retailed new for almost $2000 here in Canada in 2010.

Anyway, any questions let me know. Good luck.

robert716

Chimp
Feb 22, 2010
Reno, Nevada
I had an '09 Boot'r during the '10 race season. I liked it for the most part, though I found the rear suspension to be less active than other bikes I've ridden. The anti-squat characteristics of the Freedrive system made the beginning of the stroke somewhat harsh, though it did pedal pretty well because of it. And in fairness, it's possible that the Marzocchi shock I was running may have contributed to the harshness -- I never rode a Vivid-equipped version for comparison.

But it cornered very well though and it was a neutral jumper. If you like to seek smoother lines and hop over things, you'll probably have a great time on the Boot'r. But if you like to monster truck over things, I'd try before you buy.

I was bummed to learn about Mongoose's withdrawal from the U.S in 2012 -- I guess the burden of being compared to Wal-Mart bikes became too much to deal with. Shame.

Last edited:

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
I had an '09 Boot'r during the '10 race season. I liked it for the most part, though I found the rear suspension to be less active than other bikes I've ridden. The anti-squat characteristics of the Freedrive system made the beginning of the stroke somewhat harsh, though it did pedal pretty well because of it. And in fairness, it's possible that the Marzocchi shock I was running may have contributed to the harshness -- I never rode a Vivid-equipped version for comparison.

But it cornered very well though and it was a neutral jumper. If you like to seek smoother lines and hop over things, you'll probably have a great time on the Boot'r. But if you like to monster truck over things, I'd try before you buy.

I was bummed to learn about Mongoose's withdrawal from the U.S in 2012 -- I guess the burden of being compared to Wal-Mart bikes became too much to deal with. Shame.
I had similar experiences with the pinn'r.

If I were to get it (monstrously cheap without shock because people thought it was too ugly to buy) I was planning on putting on my angleset, which I already have, on it and mounting an RC4 on it. The combination of the slacker head angle and the nicer shock might alleviate the deadness of the bike when it comes to plowing.

I do want to know if the bike likes to kick at bottom out as I wasn't able to push the bike I tested that hard.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
That sucks about no more US distribution, the bikes always look better and better to me:

Last edited:

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
Hey,

I raced a Boot'r during the 2011 season and have some input for you.

On the plus side:
1. It corners like a treat
2. Very pedal efficient when set up correctly
3. It handled jumps really well

On the negative side:
1. It has a short WB, and the bike is nervous when you go really fast
2. The reach (I'm 6ft2in and had a large frame) is short making you feel cramped
3. Very slack seat tube, and I like a high saddle. The saddle ends up faaar back
4. Rough rear end, this was the biggest gripe for me.

I'll elaborate a bit on the rear end. I tested it with four different shocks; Vivid 5.1, Fox DHX RC4, Fox Van and the Elka that it came supplied with.

I plowed through a lot of different spring rates and settings and just could not get the rear end to behave like I wanted it to. Ran a 888 RC3 Evo Ti. up front and it was amazing, but could never make the back end work.

It pedals well and you'll love it in a bike park environment but IMHO it does not do the job if you race it. You have to be very smooth and super picky with lines or the bike will just send you off-line.

If you ride or race a lot of rough terrain I would look elsewhere, but if you primarily ride smoother tracks or the like it's great value.

IMO, the FreeDrive system suits bike with a lot less travel, I also had a Mongoose Nugget as a freeride/bikepark-bike during the season and that thing is amazing!

herbman

Monkey
Feb 16, 2011
North West Tasmania
im on a i-drive at the moe and i can't say i feel the pedals/bb moving as the bike goes through its travel or that it feels any rougher than my FSR intense did through the same sections, but the sanction does hold its speed better than the intense did through the lumpy stuff.

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
I honestly can't say I noticed my feet moving a whole lot, a bit noticeable when hitting big square edged stuff at high speed. Otherwise, not so much.

robert716

Chimp
Feb 22, 2010
Reno, Nevada
A lot of people worry about that, but I never noticed my feet moving with the suspension. The rear-end harshness resulted in a lot of pedal feedback, but I don't think the floating BB piece itself had anything to do with that.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
My old gt it-1 have the same linkage and BB moving shinanigans. That had some problems for sure, but the one thing it was AMAZING at was straight lines through rocks. Holy cow that thing was smooooth. Not fast, but smooth.

Last edited:

herbman

Monkey
Feb 16, 2011
North West Tasmania
it may depend on if the sag is set with the rider sitting on the seat or standing on the pedals? as the the rear end stiffens a small bit when standing.
i set mine standing and it feels plush but still pedals well when seated.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Yeah, I know you don't notice your feet moving, but I wonder how much your feet moving equates to them both not feeling plush Vs leverage curves etc.

This is good incite and could use some further digging. The mongooses (Mongeese?) all seem to be very linear which usually means good and stable for plowing. But in a really rough situation it is true that your feet are going to be feel a lot of motion.

robert716

Chimp
Feb 22, 2010
Reno, Nevada
I couldn't say for sure, though I will note that the bike felt fine on most landings and drops. It was mostly small successive hits that brought out the harshness in my case. I imagine if it were just a pedal issue, it may be evident on all types of hits and not just near the top of the stroke.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Beware Mongoose bikes!

FWIW, I had a Super Khyber, and thought it was the best riding 6" bike I've ever ridden. Solid geo, acceptable weight, good value, and I never noticed my feet moving or unusual harshness in the chop. Only flaws IMO were the undersized bearings around the BB link and expensive rebuild for the Marz Rocco Air. No experience with the aforementioned Boot'r & Pinn'r, but I was seriously considering one due to my experience with the Khyber. Ended up with a Tr450, which has been superb, so no regrets.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I rode a GT(Aluminum current DH) today with some slightly slippery pedals, and I could hardly keep my feet on over smallish jumps. I'm pretty sure it's have been exaggerated by the BB moving. Also rode a Booter(better set up for me, base model also), and it felt pretty dang good. I've ridden the same GT before with slightly better pedals without issue, but was quite surprised to see how slippery it was with the other pedals(ones of a new 2010 Carbon DH GT).
I'm thinking if the pedals are good, you'd not have issues, but if they're mediocre, get better pedals.

Last edited:

RumbleBeeAL

Chimp
Jan 14, 2012
AL, U.S.A.
FWIW -

I purchased my first Mongoose a few weeks ago - Model: 2011 PinN'r (Foreman).

The components selected by Mongoose are top notch which make this bike extremely cool.

I purchased it new as it was deeply discounted at 70% off. Otherwise, I would not have opted for a bike that is this versatile and equipped with high end components.

So far so good. I am a bigger guy and was able to dial in the Fox DHX Air 5.0 suspension for perfect sag without any issues whatsoever.

Based on the quality ride and deal I received, it is a keeper!

Ride on!