Quantcast

FEMA response in CALI

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I love how I was watching people drink free Starbucks and eating KFC at some baseball stadium in Whales Vagina this morning. I started to think about the comparison to this vs. the superdome in LA 2 years ago. Seemed like people were just happy to not get shanked in the bathroom of the superdome.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Rich people in Malibou pay more in taxes hence, better response

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Maybe California just has their sh*t together.

Minus the idiots who set the state on fire every year.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Maybe San Diego isn't as desperate or as black as New Orleans.

My thoughts exactly. :disgust:

Edit: I just saw a quick interview with some middle aged dude in a suit and I quote "who cares, insurance will cover it all anyway"

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
yes while the quick fema response time is a little suspect when compared to that of 2 years ago in new orleans, you do have to realize that it's a completely different disaster in a completely different state.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
yes while the quick fema response time is a little suspect when compared to that of 2 years ago in new orleans, you do have to realize that it's a completely different disaster in a completely different state.
The F in FEMA is for FEDERAL not S for STATE.

That aside they had ample warning in N.O. as well.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The F in FEMA is for FEDERAL not S for STATE.

One thing I never had a problem is the busing of citizens out of town.

Where were these people headed to? Towns as close as Gretna (across the river) sealed off the bridge so no one could cross over.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
True, they knew for a week that a BIG hurricane was coming their way.

We so cal peeps knew santa ana's were comin a week ago and knew that if fires started it would be bad.

only difference... soCal citizens took upon themselves to GTFO when needed (for the most part) and had the humanity to help, not only their neighbors, but total strangers

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
I personally think the situations are quite different, but then again I was not in New Orleans during the hurricane.

Although the fires here are incredibly destructive, I don't think that the destruction is as widespread and severe as the hurricane/floods of Katrina. All those people that you see at Qualcomm stadium are drinking Starbucks and whatnot because the area around the stadium and most of the coastal region is not affected much by the fires.

One thing I notice here is that everyone is being extremely helpful to their neighbors...the outpour of support on every level is incredible. That's what you get for living in America's finest city though. :thumb:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I personally think the situations are quite different, but then again I was not in New Orleans during the hurricane.

Although the fires here are incredibly destructive, I don't think that the destruction is as widespread and severe as the hurricane/floods of Katrina. All those people that you see at Qualcomm stadium are drinking Starbucks and what not because the area around the stadium and most of the coastal region is not affected much by the fires.

exactly...the level of destruction is not even comparable...D

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I was talking to a buddy and said "I can't beleive some idiot hasn't started sh!t regarding the responses between New Orleans and now SoCal."

You can look at it a few ways.

- They extent of the disaster isn't comparable.

- CA are more mobile (to get out of harms way)

- The place people gathered for shelter isn't smack dab in the middle of the fire.

- FEMA got chewed up for NewOrleans, so they did better

- If the whole CA coast went up in a fire ball (and people decided they could ride it out) and help could not approach the area for a couple days, then there would be a lot of dead SoCal people too.

Instead it becomes a race thing. :(

Wild fire and a Hurricane are not on the same level of disasters.