Quantcast

fenders: why?

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
So I just did a 2.5 week tour of tasmania, got rained on many times. I was freaking out because I didn't have time to install fenders before I left.

After going without, I am forced to ask: What is the point of fenders? The tires don't throw up any water unless you ride through a deep puddle. If It's dumping rain to such an extent that there are unavoidable puddles, it is likely that 1) you have your rain gear on and or 2) you are wet anyway.

Someone defend fenders, because I am about to renounce them forever.

Dec 3, 2004
San Jose, CA
I don't know what kind of roads you have in Australia, but over here in the US, tires throw up water if the road is wet at all. It is not a whole lot, but enough to get your ass wet and be unpleasent. Of course if you are riding in the rain anyways, you won't really care. Oh, and yeah, nobody uses fenders except for maybe on commuters where you don't want to get your normal clothes all dirty/wet.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I think you're limiting your thought process about the functionality of fenders.
The tires don't throw up any water unless you ride through a deep puddle.
Maybe you've got some special, unique tires, but all my tires do kick up water from wet streets without any substantial puddles.

If It's dumping rain to such an extent that there are unavoidable puddles, it is likely that 1) you have your rain gear on and or 2) you are wet anyway.
Rain isn't the issue... mud is. 'Clean' rain water on my bike is fine by me, I'll just re-lube after the ride. It's the crap on the roads that mix with water that gets kicked up onto my bike. That sh1t eats through your drivetrain and frame.

Since I never ride anywhere in clothes that I'll be hanging out in after the ride -- like I change into work clothes after commuting to work -- I don't bother with a rear fender. I just use a front fender with a mudflap.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
I guess the rear rack was taking care of stopping most of the water from hitting my ass. I would have noticed if my ass was getting boggy, but it wasn't. In fact, the rear wheel is encased with 2 bags on the sides and one on top, so it would seem foolish to install a fender.

As for the front wheel, I was watching it the whole time, and it threw up minimal water. At no point did more water come up from the wheel than was coming down from the sky.

I seem to also have an unpopular view on rain gear... I don't put it on unless it's really dumping. Why? Because you will end up wetter with sweat than you would have been from the rain, so why bother.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
As for the front wheel, I was watching it the whole time, and it threw up minimal water. At no point did more water come up from the wheel than was coming down from the sky.
Again, the difference is how much dirt, grime, car oil, other pollutions, whatever is in the ground water. No matter how little of it there is, if it's saturated with crap, well, that sucks.

As for the rear, that's my thinking too. When I've got bags on and I don't care about how dirty the bags get, well, what's the point?
I seem to also have an unpopular view on rain gear... I don't put it on unless it's really dumping. Why? Because you will end up wetter with sweat than you would have been from the rain, so why bother.
I'm the same way. Especially if it's remotely warm out. I'd rather enjoy the rain. I wear 'rain' layers for wind (temperature) protection.

But if you're sweating that much, perhaps a different water shell? Something more breathable?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I'll at to LO posts, one other reason to run fenders is to be courteous to other people when on group rides. There is nothing more annoying than riding in a group and having the front guys tire spray going right into your face

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'll at to LO posts, one other reason to run fenders is to be courteous to other people when on group rides. There is nothing more annoying than riding in a group and having the front guys tire spray going right into your face
Interestingly enough, that's one reason I do NOT run a rear fender. Why people need to wheelsuck me on my way to work or a fun ride on the local MUPs is beyond me.

Step off biyatch.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
here in nj the grit for melting ice makes a nice paste with rain that destroys frames throw some fenders on to at least save a frame. i dont see the point of them riding dh or xc though.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Interestingly enough, that's one reason I do NOT run a rear fender. Why people need to wheelsuck me on my way to work or a fun ride on the local MUPs is beyond me.

Step off biyatch.
They need to suck your wheel because you're putting the hammer down and they're suffering.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Again, the difference is how much dirt, grime, car oil, other pollutions, whatever is in the ground water. No matter how little of it there is, if it's saturated with crap, well, that sucks.
That's a good point. Put it this way, water from above - clean, water from below - not clean.

I'm the same way. Especially if it's remotely warm out. I'd rather enjoy the rain. I wear 'rain' layers for wind (temperature) protection.

But if you're sweating that much, perhaps a different water shell? Something more breathable?
This is my problem around the Bay Area: while it will rain bucketfuls, it rarely gets below 45 degrees. However, most of my rain gear is designed around riding below 40.

If the temps are above 60, a light vest should be warm enough. If it is around 50, I love to have a pair of Gore rainproof shorts.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I'm the same way, and I have decent breathable gear. I absolutely hate it and once it gets relatively warm, I never wear it. I just bring an extra change of clothes.

I do not have fenders, but I need them. any time the streeets are wet my tires throw up all kinds of water/mud/oil/crap.