Quantcast

Few questions on my gear and downhill riding and racing.

OldCrow

Chimp
Apr 29, 2012
East Tn
I have been mountain biking on and off for years more than 25 years yeah i am an old guy but i don't feel like it, but I have never really done any downhill riding only cross country.
My question is that I have a full suspension heckler, is that sufficient for downhill riding and a few Super D or Downhill racing in the over the hill cat 3 stuff?
I will swap out my spd for some platform peddles elbow pads knee shin pads and full face helmet. would the windrock weekend be a good weekend to break myself in?

I have a big truck also if you need help shuttling people

Thanks

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Yeah come on out, I've seen a lot of (new to DH) riders at Windrock.I think the heckler will be fine, 2-ply tires seem to last longer tho.

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
I'm sure some others will chime in here but I got my first DH experience at WR about 8yrs ago in the rain. Sketchy and not very fun. I'm also no spring chicken (46 y/o now)but have a strong BMX background. The place is very technical and steep in some areas but just stop and walk what makes you nervous. There will be plenty of others there to show you around and give you a heads up for what to watch out for. Maybe run some DH tires and tubes and give it a go. It's definitly not a beginner place but I still think you'll have fun. I wish I was going but had to spend some money on a new lawn tractor:mad:

PS the weather looks great and Moto types faster than me:)

Last edited:

OldCrow

Chimp
Apr 29, 2012
East Tn
Wow I had no idea it was that steep. Thanks for all the input I will do the tire upgrade. I hope i have a horrible time. I catch myself looking at used DH bikes and its great to know there are folks older than me. I did the BMX stuff for years and just cleaned my parents house out and found tons of old parts and an old frame.

Last edited:

clealan

Monkey
Mar 9, 2008
Fairview NC
If you have been riding SPD for years and are comfortable with them, do not switch! You do not want to be thinking about anything but the trail in front of you. Motobutane rides nothing but clipless. My brother has ridden his Heckler there and did fine, a slacker head angle would be better, but it will work. You are running 1 or 2 front rings and a bash guard at least I hope, you will drop the chain often without a chainguide. DH tires for sure unless you are very light, very smooth, or both. Windrock is mostly steep and technical, not many high speed areas. Look for the other grey hairs, we will show you around. If you are interested in borrowing a freeride bike for the weekend, let me know.

Edit-Randy,Craig and Andy are all over 40 and I am 51, by the way. super tackey tires if you can find them...rocks, rocks, rocks and more rocks.

Last edited:

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
Wow I had no idea it was that steep. Thanks for all the input I will do the tire upgrade. I hope i have a horrible time. I catch myself looking at used DH bikes and its great to know there are folks older than me. I did the BMX stuff for years and just cleaned my parents house out and found tons of old parts and an old frame.
Don't ditch that old BMX stuff. Check ebay. some of that old stuff is worth some $$$.

OldCrow

Chimp
Apr 29, 2012
East Tn
Don't ditch that old BMX stuff. Check ebay. some of that old stuff is worth some $$$.
Yeah i saw that some of the crazy prices, I wish i still had my original Hutch Pro Star makes me sick what that thing is worth from 1983.

Thanks for all the information I found a few used DH bikes I am always looking for a reason to add another bike to the garage.
I need to have a yard sale on craigslist or here to get rid of some roof racks and parts. To divert funds to DH

Jay13

Chimp
Jul 6, 2008
Orlando
If you have been riding SPD for years and are comfortable with them, do not switch! You do not want to be thinking about anything but the trail in front of you. Motobutane rides nothing but clipless. My brother has ridden his Heckler there and did fine, a slacker head angle would be better, but it will work. You are running 1 or 2 front rings and a bash guard at least I hope, you will drop the chain often without a chainguide. DH tires for sure unless you are very light, very smooth, or both. Windrock is mostly steep and technical, not many high speed areas. .
+1 on staying with clipless if that's the way you usually ride. Also, I rode a heckler for several year and it does okay for DH but isn't as much bike as you'd really want ideally. I never brought the heckler to WR but rode it at places like snowshoe and except for the gnarliest trails (ie lower hareball) it was okay. Good DH tires are a must though... For racing super D a heckler might be a good choice if built up right...

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
Yeah i saw that some of the crazy prices, I wish i still had my original Hutch Pro Star makes me sick what that thing is worth from 1983.

Thanks for all the information I found a few used DH bikes I am always looking for a reason to add another bike to the garage.
I need to have a yard sale on craigslist or here to get rid of some roof racks and parts. To divert funds to DH
Like this one:thumb: My brother still has his.

OldCrow

Chimp
Apr 29, 2012
East Tn
Sweet that is the trick star mine was the racing version the pro star. I liked the white I remember when they debut the trick star at the Murray World Cup Nationals in Nashville and it was candy apple red and it got jacked the first day they had it.

I have done the math on modifying my bike for down hill

Tires 125-150
Bash gard 10-50
chain thing 50 -150

I am at 300.00 I am on my way to justification of buying another bike :weee:

Last edited:

htrdoug

Chimp
Nov 25, 2001
So.Indiana
Sweet that is the trick star mine was the racing version the pro star. I liked the white I remember when they debut the trick star at the Murray World Cup Nationals in Nashville and it was candy apple red and it got jacked the first day they had it.

I have done the math on modifying my bike for down hill

Tires 125-150
Bash gard 10-50
chain thing 50 -150

I am at 300.00 I am on my way to justification of buying another bike :weee:

There are quite a few Demoes,Stinkies,Stabs on Pinkbike classifieds,You may have to contact a dozen before finding someone who will actually ship one to you,but should be doable for under $1500. I was wanting to do the same as you and show up at Windrock this weekend but just bought myself a new Sherco mototrials bike so I wanna play with that. I will be getting back to riding DH this year as I have decided it's ok for a 53 year old to have some fun.Don't need state of the art so the fore mentioned gravity bikes will be fine.(really leaning towards the Demoes,they look the biz!) Gonna start out with my 2010 Dawg though,I put a 150mm travel Sektor on front and run extra sag in the shock so it's very simular to the 02 Stinky I used to ride downhill on just fine. Got a single ring chainguide on the way and have always rode platforms. The Wheels are too light duty,SunRingle Charger Experts but I'll just use that for my speed governor excuse. Running HansDampfs on them which should help some. Really want to take the Sherco and the Dawg to TTC for a weekend of self indulgence very soon too. I do have to avoid big slamming landings though,body can no longer recover from that Sh*t...

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
There are quite a few Demoes,Stinkies,Stabs on Pinkbike classifieds,You may have to contact a dozen before finding someone who will actually ship one to you,but should be doable for under $1500. I was wanting to do the same as you and show up at Windrock this weekend but just bought myself a new Sherco mototrials bike so I wanna play with that. I will be getting back to riding DH this year as I have decided it's ok for a 53 year old to have some fun.Don't need state of the art so the fore mentioned gravity bikes will be fine.(really leaning towards the Demoes,they look the biz!) Gonna start out with my 2010 Dawg though,I put a 150mm travel Sektor on front and run extra sag in the shock so it's very simular to the 02 Stinky I used to ride downhill on just fine. Got a single ring chainguide on the way and have always rode platforms. The Wheels are too light duty,SunRingle Charger Experts but I'll just use that for my speed governor excuse. Running HansDampfs on them which should help some. Really want to take the Sherco and the Dawg to TTC for a weekend of self indulgence very soon too. I do have to avoid big slamming landings though,body can no longer recover from that Sh*t...
You'd be surprised at just how many are doing that.... Bike-Sat & Moto-Sunday.