Quantcast

Field Trips Cancelled

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Hell, the biggest field trip I took in school was 40 miles to Boise to the planetarium at Capitol High School.

Greenwich schools cancel all overseas field trips
By Associated Press, 3/9/2003 10:47

GREENWICH, Conn. (AP) The threat of a war with Iraq has prompted the Greenwich public schools to cancel all field trips outside the Western Hemisphere, the Greenwich Time reported Sunday.

The town is among a growing number of communities canceling trips abroad, citing safety concerns should war break out. Some towns, such as Wilton and Westport, have even canceled out-of-state trips.

School administrators also are reviewing all other field trips, such as trips to New York City, Washington, D.C., and other areas that may be targets for terrorists.

''We always wrestle with the educational benefit and the potential risk,'' interim Superintendent of Schools Maria Melendez told the newspaper. ''This is a difficult decision, and I take it very, very seriously.''

The cancellations have affected Greenwich High School trips to Greece and Finland and a trip to China by students and staff at Parkway School.

Extended field trips also are receiving special attention because administrators fear the students may be stranded should a terrorist attack shut down air travel.

So far, none of the annual middle school trips to Washington has been canceled. But Central Middle School Principal Jim Bulger said conditions could change at any time.

''If something were to happen, it's not inconceivable the trip would be canceled or would have to come back sooner than we had planned,'' Bulger said.

He recommended parents take out insurance on the trip so they would not lose their investment if it is canceled at the last minute.

A few parents have refused to let their children go on the Washington trip, scheduled to start March 25.

''It is such a powerful learning experience in that it does relate to a lot of the work that the students have been working on,'' Bulger said. ''If we didn't feel the trip had value as a learning experience, we wouldn't do it. We're not in the field trip business.''

Darien, Fairfield, Norwalk, Westport and Wilton have canceled all overseas field trips, Melendez said, and Norwalk, Wilton and Westport have canceled all out-of-state field trips, as well. Stamford is reviewing each trip on a case-by-case basis.

Patty Aser, the Greenwich High School's PTA co-president, said many parents and students were disappointed the trip to Greece was canceled. Nonetheless, she said she understood the district's predicament. ''If I were in Dr. Melendez's shoes, I would do the same thing,'' she said. ''That is a big responsibility, and, God forbid, how sad it would be if anything happened to our kids.'

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
I don't know why this made the news. My School district cancelled all field trips the day after we went on "ORANGE ALERT."
It was really just a ploy by the superintendent to save some cash. As a result, our debate trip to harvard was cancelled and I had to go up with 2 others kids and stay in a crappy hotel. (otherwise, the school pays for our hotel)

Its really really dumb to cancel trips. That just gives the terrorists the win. All they have to do is make a threatening phone call, and our education gets curtailed.