Quantcast

Figuring out Rock Shox's models-Race-Team etc

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
I am thinking about buying a Revelation or Reba for my wife's bike. I can't figure out what the difference is between the Team and Race versions from the info on Sram's site.

I know the Team should be the better model but what is difference? I know if I get a Reba I want a Team simply because it is only version that I can get the 20mm axle.

Revelation Team and Race appear to be the same as both come in 20mm but is there a difference in the dampeners?

Jul 26, 2004
Seattle, WA
revelation team = 'blackbox motion control' and 'dual flow rebound'
revelation race = 'motion control'

good luck finding the real-world differences between those.

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
revelation team = 'blackbox motion control' and 'dual flow rebound'
revelation race = 'motion control'

good luck finding the real-world differences between those.
The dual flow rebound (DFR) is the big change between the 2. The dual flow gives you adjustments for both beginning and ending stroke, which I have found to be a huge improvement over a single rebound. Most riders dont need to fiddle with compression as most get it wrong anyway. But rebound is extremely important and is something most riders will notice instantly.

That being said, I'm kind of confused on the Revelation. It seems that the Team, with the DFR, does not offer adjustment of the ending stroke rebound, only the beginning stroke. Which would mean that either RS has it already adjusted from the factory (how lame!) or it is internally adjustable, which is still better than the single rebound, but it would be nice to be able to adjust it.

I own 2 RS forks, 1 with the Motion Control and Single Rebound, and the other with the Mission Control and DFR. The DFR is so far superior I am trying to figure out if I can yank the internals and upgrade them to the DFR, and add the Mission Control damper while I am in there. I just find that with the single rebound I cant get the wheel moving fast enough over small impacts without it feeling like a pogo stick on larger ones.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It's not so much a matter of adjustability, as it is one of how good the damper is in the first place. The basic rebound damper is just ported, so it's not really speed sensitive, unlike the Dual Flow one which is shimmed, IIRC. You have exactly the same adjuster, but the dual flow still works better by virtue of being a more sophisticated design.

BMCarter- which forks, which years?