Quantcast

File transfer from Mp3

spookymilk

Chimp
Jul 1, 2004
Salmon Arm, B.C.
Hey, I recently backed up my files on my Rio Karma as I was formatting my comp.

I'm wondering now how can I get my music files back onto my computer?

I'm preferably looking for a free solution.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
spookymilk said:

The Karma, unlike the iPod, is user friendly and lets the user do whatever they want with the songs they have on their player without having to buy third party apps.

The software that comes with it has that ability. I believe you open the player in RMML, select the songs you want, and choose save as.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Can't you just connect the RIO via USB so it is recognized as an external drive and drag them back over? It's slow, but it should work and is free.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
berkshire_rider said:
Can't you just connect the RIO via USB so it is recognized as an external drive and drag them back over? It's slow, but it should work and is free.
No the file system isn't an inferior standard FAT/MSC one.

Its a proprietary journaled file system. Journaling protects you from corruption due to a power failure or any unclean shut down of the karma (software bug, reset, short, big drop, etc...). Cause of this, you need to use RMML to read and write the drive.

They are adding MSC capability soon though, but they'll do it right with basic journaling capability in Fat32.

spookymilk

Chimp
Jul 1, 2004
Salmon Arm, B.C.
syadasti said:
The Karma, unlike the iPod, is user friendly and lets the user do whatever they want with the songs they have on their player without having to buy third party apps.

The software that comes with it has that ability. I believe you open the player in RMML, select the songs you want, and choose save as.
thanks alot!

I really didn't know why the "Save as" was there

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
berkshire_rider said:
you can do that via 3rd party software (redchair software's RioRad explorer).