Quantcast

Finally a 2 bike guy

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
For years Ive always had one bike as a do all bike. This year I decide to be a 2 bike guy. No rides on it, since I finished it yesterday.

AM/XC bike

09 Small Raw SS
09 Fox DHX with 450 DSP ti spring soon
2010 Lyrik DH Solo Air
I9s with DT Swiss 5.1
Minion DHF 2.5-single plys
Maxxis Ultralite tubes
Elixer CR Mags
Deity Dirty30 cut to 28"
Sunline AM 50mm stem
CC flush headset-top and bottom
AM HammerSchmidt
KMC XP SL chain
Sram X9 shifter and derailer
Thompson seatpost
WTB Rocket V ti rails
33.5 lbs

2010 small 951
2010 Boxxer Team
Marzocchi PUSHed Roco with 425 ti Obtainium
Azonic Outlaws
Schwalbe MM DH 2.3/2.5
Specialized thin tubes
Hayes Strokers
Deity Dirty30 cut to 29"
Canfield stem
CC flush headset on top but standard on bottom
FR HammerSchmidt
Sram 991 chain
Sram X9 shifters and derailer
Titec telescoping seatpost
WTB Rocket V ti rail
42.5 lbs

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
You will like the SS. How's the downtube clearance with the flush headset? My 36 Float rubbed...

You might have the only SS out there with a computer. ;)

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
You will like the SS. How's the downtube clearance with the flush headset? My 36 Float rubbed...

You might have the only SS out there with a computer. ;)
It has way more clearance than with the 66 I had on it to begin with. The 66 had 2-3mm the Lyric has 7-8mm. Tons of people run a computer on the SS, since lots of people use them as a trail bike.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
It has way more clearance than with the 66 I had on it to begin with. The 66 had 2-3mm the Lyric has 7-8mm. Tons of people run a computer on the SS, since lots of people use them as a trail bike.
Hell I run a light on the jedi but its for our night rides downtown to keep the local police off our butts. Ran a red rear light till I landed really hard and the rear tire ate it alive. LOL so computers are cool, and as much as he pedals and runs them hills Id have one for sure....
Just need to get a motorola droid now turn on GPS and and track your trails, I started doing that on our Mtn. shuttle excursions as they are 14-18 mile single track and getting lost is easy so I map it now...

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I have a similar setup.
Raw SS with a Lyrik. I have the adjustable travel one and it's really nice to get the front end down when climbing or riding trails with lots of flowy turns. It feels like your cheating in the corners, and it only gets better with a lower fork.

2 bikes. Sheesh. My SS replaced 2 to make me a 5 bike guy.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Are you left handed? Usually I see the computers on the right side. As usuall your bikes are among my favorite. So are you going to ditch the 951 trailbike and just leave in in dh mode?

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Nice bikes! Gotta ask, what's with the seat angle on both bike? Looks to be endo-proned

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Are you left handed? Usually I see the computers on the right side. As usuall your bikes are among my favorite. So are you going to ditch the 951 trailbike and just leave in in dh mode?
Im right handed, but I put them on the left, so I can run the cord down the brake cable. The buttons on the Cateye are on the middle, so it should be ok. Ive tried wireless in the past and just never had good luck with them. Ya, Im going to leave the 951 in DH mode. Im going to leave the telescoping seatpost on it just in case. We have some long DH with short easy uphills that I will still take it on.

Nice bikes! Gotta ask, what's with the seat angle on both bike? Looks to be endo-proned
The SS is my XC/AM bike, so the seat needs to be flat for uphill.
The 951 will still see some uphill, but I will adjust it a little.

I just got a new steel spring for the SS, so it is ready to go. I still want a ti spring though. Ive only ridden the 951 3-4 times and I have never ridden the SS. I really look forward to ridding this year with 2 new bikes.

I have a similar setup.
Raw SS with a Lyrik. I have the adjustable travel one and it's really nice to get the front end down when climbing or riding trails with lots of flowy turns. It feels like your cheating in the corners, and it only gets better with a lower fork.

2 bikes. Sheesh. My SS replaced 2 to make me a 5 bike guy.
I have a road bike too. So I guess Im a 3 bike guy. My daughter is 7 and has 3 bikes and my wife has 2. Our garage is FULL.

Last edited:

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Nice bikes!

I went from a do-all to a dh / trail bike almost 2 years ago and it's made riding more fun, a do-all bike is jack of all trades, master of none...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Now I just need a ti spring.

I really wish I could find a Progressive 450x2.5 ti spring. Anyone have an idea where I could find one?

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
ah i really want one of those SS's but think i need a medium, i can't believe what they did to the 2010 version, so sad, so long intense

...my bag of dirt is looking it...though i just put some new parts on. you'll have to let us know how it rides compared to your other bikes, bring it to Galby too!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
ah i really want one of those SS's but think i need a medium, i can't believe what they did to the 2010 version, so sad, so long intense

I saw a new one getting built the other day at the shop and noticed that they killed every feature that makes them good.
No seatpost adjustment
HORRIBLE chainline and cranks that hit the seatstays
No front derailleur.
No adjustable/interchangeable/replaceable dropouts.

Good job Intense.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
what are your thoughts on the differences between the 2 hammerschmidts am vs fr?
The AM is lighter and probably not as strong. The FR has more q-factor, so the cranks wont hit the seatstays on some bikes. I tried the AM on my 951 and the cranks hit the seatstays. I had to run the FR version. Other than that they are pretty much the same. I have friends on the AM version and they have beaten them. They are holding up fine.

You might check out Pinkbike. They have a great article about the AM and FR version. I think Sicklines did one too. There is lots of good info. Its soooo easy to change between the 22 and 24 too.

Good luck. All I know is I love the HS.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ive been getting some good rides in on the SS and it is awesome. The Minion single plys rock and the HS shifts so quick its amazing. I finally got a ti spring from Diverse and a new seat from the classifieds. At 33.5 lbs it climbs well and decents even better. I made it to the snow line yesterday.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I used to have two bike in previous years. Usually Glory or Glory DH and Trance 0/1 or Trance X 0/1, as well... But, then, it has appeared that every time I had time to ride bike, I used to choose big one ;) So, all my Trances, when sold, had mileage about 150 miles ;)

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Finally done and ready for the season. 39.5 lbs with 2 ply Muddy Marys on Hope/Flows. Now if I can just get these tires to seal up.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Did a few upgrades to the SS. Added blue bits, blue XO, Gravity Dropper, Haven carbon bar, and some AM I9s. I also did the upgraded lower link. The new link is much quieter and stiffer. I usually change bikes every couple years, but I think Ill have this bike for a long time. I really like it for AM riding. Now if it just doesn't break. :) Still waiting on a HammerSchmidt front shifter. I also need to shorted the brake lines. Im thinking blue Jagwire lines for everything too.

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
why do you have two very similar bikes? :D why not a dh bike and a trail bike or something? and why does your dh bike have a hamershidt?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
why do you have two very similar bikes? :D why not a dh bike and a trail bike or something? and why does your dh bike have a hamershidt?
The SS1 and 951 are completely different bikes. Plus there is almost 10 lbs difference.

My DH bike has a Hammerschmidt so I can pedal uphill if I have to and ground clearance. I barely use the rear derailer anymore.

Wow, that's a lot of cables! Glad it's working for you.
Only one more than most people bikes. It just looks like a lot since I haven't shorted them yet.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Why on earth did you waste the money putting a hammerschmidt on your 951...no offense but that is stupid.
Go ride Kanter's trails with him. If you can keep up, or man up enough to stay with him, congrats.

The fact is, he lives in a non shuttle friendly area. He pedals up some serious hills, and that's how he does it.

anyways, it's not your bike or place to comment about somebody you don't know sets up their bike.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
The same thing could have been accomplished with a different chainring/cassette set up then a normal dh bike. I would have done that and spent my money elsewhere, or just ridden the SS everywhere.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The same thing could have been accomplished with a different chainring/cassette set up then a normal dh bike. I would have done that and spent my money elsewhere, or just ridden the SS everywhere.
I ride the SS when there are long uphills and long DH. I ride the 951 when there are short uphills with long DH. We have a few shuttles where you have to ride 2-3 miles uphill for 15+ miles of DH. The DH is gnarly so its nice to ride a DH bike. You have to have a granny, so a single ring will not work no matter what cassette you run. So a "different chainring/cassette" will NOT work. The 951 has a 11/34 cassette and the 24/36 HammerSchmidt. The SS has a 11/34 and the 22/32 HammerSchmidt.

What is a "normal DH bike" anyway?

I like my DH bike on this trail, even if I have to pedal up for awhile.

samdemo

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
I've been running the 951 and the SS for about 2 years now. More than different enough to warrant having both and both are pretty fun.

Nice set-ups

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
I ride the SS when there are long uphills and long DH. I ride the 951 when there are short uphills with long DH. We have a few shuttles where you have to ride 2-3 miles uphill for 15+ miles of DH. The DH is gnarly so its nice to ride a DH bike. You have to have a granny, so a single ring will not work no matter what cassette you run. So a "different chainring/cassette" will NOT work. The 951 has a 11/34 cassette and the 24/36 HammerSchmidt. The SS has a 11/34 and the 22/32 HammerSchmidt.

What is a "normal DH bike" anyway?

I like my DH bike on this trail, even if I have to pedal up for awhile.

Good grief, I need to make a trip up there when you are in town as well so I can ride that. Last two years have not had our schedules mesh but that shiz needs to change with pics like that making me drool.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Good grief, I need to make a trip up there when you are in town as well so I can ride that. Last two years have not had our schedules mesh but that shiz needs to change with pics like that making me drool.
4000-5000 ft vert but you have to work for it.

MT XC

This one is for you, Bizutch... some times we shuttle.

I sold this and missed it so much I had to buy another.

I have this now.

Last edited: