Quantcast

Finally, a reason for dork logging?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Thought that this was pretty cool. Heatmap for all of the rides that Strava has on file. ~80 million of them.

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#5/-98.80707/41.02301/blue/bike

Some cool things I found.

Ragbrai route across Iowa:

Madison (Left) and Milwaukee (Right):

It's interesting that Madison has more riders, even though it's only 1/4 the size of Milwaukee. Also, if you look at Madison you can see a pretty bright light heading East and ending in Waterloo, site of Trek Bicycles.

Here's Chicago. Some pretty huge urban wasteland going on...

The site is currently crawling (probably) due to the heavy traffic, but you'll be able to drill down and see specific streets and neighborhoods to see where bicycle traffic is going.

The downside its only Strava, so I'm guessing it doesn't pick up people going to the grocery store or out to the bar. It's far more likely to highlight people trying for a KOM somewhere...

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
Pretty cool to see how much fat-biking is being done in the coastal areas (read: soft beach sand & dunes) where I grew up (Cape Cod). Also cool to see just how much cycling is being done in general...considering this is just Strava (only) data.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I dork log pretty regularly. But I'm pretty conscious of not dork logging while on super secret trails and in the car on the way home... I have a lot of short lived KOMS over the bridge on the way home...heh.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Pretty cool to see how much fat-biking is being done in the coastal areas (read: soft beach sand & dunes) where I grew up (Cape Cod). Also cool to see just how much cycling is being done in general...considering this is just Strava (only) data.
Yeah, I mean I'd actually like to see them pull in information from others, or somehow EVERYONE should pool data... There's a National Bike Challenge that goes on every year that had been run solely through Endomondo, and that had 20 million miles ridden just from May through August. I think it'd be a great addition as the contest gives greater weight for shorter trips (you get 20 points every day you get out for a ride, regardless as to how far you go, and then overall you get one point per mile ridden). So it'd pull in far more normal riders as opposed to just the Strava$$holes?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
What in the hell are you hippies talking about anyway?
Digitally recording my ride tonight to the bar, the climbing gym and the brewery (in that order) so that my city can track how popular certain cycling routes are and plan where additional bicycle infrastructure is needed. :nerd:

And poking fun at JK since I'm going climbing tonight while his basement is still only covered in studs and plywood.

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sure, the technology is super neato. What's not so cool is mapping rides on trails of nebulous (or clearly illegal) status and publishing it on the interweb for everyone to see.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Digitally recording my ride tonight to the bar, the climbing gym and the brewery (in that order) so that my city can track how popular certain cycling routes are and plan where additional bicycle infrastructure is needed. :nerd:

And poking fun at JK since I'm going climbing tonight while his basement is still only covered in studs and plywood.
I'm a quarter of the way through hanging the plywood. Will be setting routes next week at the latest.