Quantcast

Finally after 4hours i assembled a goodridge line...

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
So i got a goodridge line for my rear XT brake. I already was one of the first customers of Goodridge for my front brake (June2003) and it was about time to upgrade the rear as well.

Every bloody time i cutted the line with a stanleys knife, the braided steel kept expanding and i couldnt slide the metal colar on.... anyhow... after 5 cutting attempts, a lot of force and infinite amount of swearing i did it... however i mistakenly removed more than 11mm of the silicone coating on one end...but as i learned later on, this has nothing to do with sealing, it only acts as paint protection for the frame. I tightened the bangos to the collars to the limit and fitted the line.

I also bled the brake lever to caliper, and wow, its either a talent or luck... no air in the system at all...

Now for performance... man it was like having new brakes.... the rear now performs as the front one and at last i got the braking performance i dreamed about... perfect feel, modulation, power...

Initially i was worried from oil stains on the reservoir cap, but then i remembered that on recently bled open systems you get some oil residue (like shades of oil) since the system is not airtight...

thats about it ... maybe a boring story but i felt like posting it...

Yannis

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by Acadian
I'm just waiting for Brian to post another sarcastic comment about me lack of ability to bleed goodridge lines..
what problems do you have on bleeding goodridge lines? I use the traditional shimaNO method, from lever to caliper, but then again i play with the bleed nipple a looooot (playing with nipples :devil: ) thus i eliminate air ...

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
What is so freaking magical about these brake lines? What's wrong with stock brake lines? Never once have I been riding along and thought: "Hey that was fun.... but if only I had superior brake lines, it would have been REALLY fun"

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by MMike
What is so freaking magical about these brake lines? What's wrong with stock brake lines? Never once have I been riding along and thought: "Hey that was fun.... but if only I had superior brake lines, it would have been REALLY fun"
Well i had the old braided XT lines, and my rear brake felt spongy underpowered and had erratic behavior given temperature fluctuations. Now all of these symptoms are gone!

stanky_dlx

Chimp
Dec 16, 2003
Hotlanta
Next time try wrapping the line where you want to cut with masking tape. This will help prevent the unravelling of the outer jacket.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by stanky_dlx
Next time try wrapping the line where you want to cut with masking tape. This will help prevent the unravelling of the outer jacket.
good point, that would have saved me a lot of time/kicking/swearing/sweating

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by math2014
what problems do you have on bleeding goodridge lines? I use the traditional shimaNO method, from lever to caliper, but then again i play with the bleed nipple a looooot (playing with nipples :devil: ) thus i eliminate air ...
He just has no clue what he's doing. He wouldn't take my advice blah blah blah. I even offered to show him the best way to bleed them. But NOOOOOOOOOOO, all I heard from him was cry cry cry, bitch and moan:p :rolleyes: :D ;)

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
He just has no clue what he's doing. He wouldn't take my advice blah blah blah. I even offered to show him the best way to bleed them. But NOOOOOOOOOOO, all I heard from him was cry cry cry, bitch and moan:p :rolleyes: :D ;)
Oh that kind of problems... :D:D:D:D. BTW how do you bleed them?