Quantcast

Finally done after 4 months to the day

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Well, the 06 Fly is finally built up for the season. I haven't had a real ride on it yet but, I can say the 06 Medium is delfinately smaller than my 02.5 Medium. The Curnutt pedals a little better than the Avy, but the Avy kills the Curnutt in every other department so far. Im going to do a lot more testing.

The bike complete weighs 43.25 lbs.
Frame weight 10.9 lbs with floater and with out rear axle.
Ti Curnutt weighed 2.2 lbs and the Ti Avy weighed 2.4 lbs.

The only downside so far is the seatpost adjustment. It only has about 3" of adjustment. I might have to look into a telescoping seatpost.

The Avy reservoir is completly out of the way. The Intense Orange is so nice in the sun.

Attachments

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
They are one of the first sets of Go-Ride crowns. I also run a one of a kind Go-Ride stem for their crown. Thanks Go-Ride.

Attachments

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Nice.

I'm not sure what foes is trying to do with the curnutt shocks. With such a huge shock, you should be able to get some ultra-plush travel and adjustments, but they seem to be sticking to SPV, which means it will never be as plush as a system that doesn't use SPV. It's obvious that he's trying to make up for the rates of some singlepivot bikes, but on the other hand there's got to be a better solution. The curnutt shock is like 3lbs of wasted metal, when you can have many lighter shocks that outperform it.

I did ride ONE curnutt shock that felt like silk. Very smooth and just felt great. When I told foes that mine had a rebound clunk and did not work properly, they basically ignored it, even though other riders verified the problem. No matter what adjustments I used, I couldn't get it to feel like that one shock. In any case, the DHX outperformed the curnutt to a large degree.

With such a huge shock, you'd think there'd be more potential to tune it to compete with the avys and other stuff. Seems like since foes has the CV/T (spv) patent, they feel they HAVE to use it, no matter if it is worse than other stuff out there.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The Ti Curnutt is only 100 grams lighter than my DHS Ti Avy.

I sent my Curnutt back to Foes 2 times before I just told them to give me a Romic in exchange for the Curnutt for my 2002.5 Fly. I told them there had to be something wrong with the shock because it clunked so bad.

I have also heard that the more you ride the Curnutt, the more the clunk goes away. With my old Fly I rode it for about a month and 150 miles of DH and the clunk didnt go away.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Jm_ said:
I did ride ONE curnutt shock that felt like silk. Very smooth and just felt great. When I told foes that mine had a rebound clunk and did not work properly, they basically ignored it, even though other riders verified the problem. No matter what adjustments I used, I couldn't get it to feel like that one shock. In any case, the DHX outperformed the curnutt to a large degree.
I knew I wasn't losing my mind, we (shop) recently built a customer of ours a new FXR and it has the curnutt and the rebound clunk. It's really crappy, it resonates throughout the frame and we called Foes twice, I talked to Brent once and was basically told that's the "norm". I was/am not impressed.....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Kanter said:
I have also heard that the more you ride the Curnutt, the more the clunk goes away. With my old Fly I rode it for about a month and 150 miles of DH and the clunk didnt go away.
Yeah, that was BS. I think when you said "clunk" they always assumed you were talking about the SPV valve on compression. It was a rebound clunk though, and it made the shock feel pretty horrible.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Kanter, nice work man. The Orange / Gold / Black theme looks pretty cool. I was just gonna say something about the drop crowns, but you already mentioned it - the first batch of Lowriders from Go-Ride weren't ano'd in black... I wish they made them like that as an option though. Cool stem too - what is that, about 50mm or so?

Nice ride.

Its my XC bike too.
9" of travel ain't bad for a XC bike... :D

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Gravity dropper on the way huh........LOL I know the feeling of having no seatpost adjustment. It sucks.

Nice rig though. Too bad there's not a better place to mount that Avy resi other than on the side there. It looks like it might hit your leg while riding but then again it might just clear ok.

I like the orange though :)

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Whoo hoo long wait is over. Great looking ride! How are the rear travel adjustments? I know for the old Fly it was kind of a pain at times on the trail...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I thought there would be more adjustment on the seatpost too. My old Fly had 4" of adjustment but the new 06 Fly only has about 3".

The Avy reservoir is completely out of the way where it is mounted. The pics are deceiving. Its out of the way more than on the old Fly.

The stem is the same size as the Go-Ride Switch crown; 43mm or 50mm.

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
Looks good - love the orange. How is the rear tire clearance with the new Fly? I remember it being pretty tight on the older Flys.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
nmjb said:
Looks good - love the orange. How is the rear tire clearance with the new Fly? I remember it being pretty tight on the older Flys.

The tire clearance is better on the 06 than the older Fly. It looks like a Maxxis 2.7 should fit with a little room to spare.

Im ready to ride now.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Jm_ said:
Nice.

I'm not sure what foes is trying to do with the curnutt shocks. With such a huge shock, you should be able to get some ultra-plush travel and adjustments, but they seem to be sticking to SPV, which means it will never be as plush as a system that doesn't use SPV. It's obvious that he's trying to make up for the rates of some singlepivot bikes, but on the other hand there's got to be a better solution. The curnutt shock is like 3lbs of wasted metal, when you can have many lighter shocks that outperform it.

With such a huge shock, you'd think there'd be more potential to tune it to compete with the avys and other stuff. Seems like since foes has the CV/T (spv) patent, they feel they HAVE to use it, no matter if it is worse than other stuff out there.
Gotta say the Curnutt on my mono was butter, no noise, performed better than any shock with platform I've tried. Think it all comes down to personal preference.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I got the 2006 888 RC2X on a few days ago. Im liking the adjustments. I cant wait for this darn snow to melt.

I messed with the seatpost a little and now I get a little less than 4 inches of seatpost adjustment.

There is still a lot of snow in the hills.

Attachments