Finally news from WIM.....

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
just dropped into my inbox....

"cut paste"
Hello WIM Series Riders,

The 2005 Round & Round Event Schedule is DONE!! But, before you open it (or look at the website), please read this first! Not reading this first could cause serious side effects including fits of training, eating large amounts of Hammer Gel and helmet wearing for no particular reason. The schedule looks somewhat different than in the past, but for some very distinct reasons. So here goes….

First, we have faced some real challenges in the past with land availability and viable courses that are affordable. Those challenges continue and there came one of those moments of – “ya know, this is getting so difficult that it just needs to stop. Where are the places that want us to come and don’t present more obstacles than a Cyclocross race?” We chose those places.

Second, financially the WIM Series has been rough. As a financial counselor brought to our attention we are spending two thirds of our efforts on a very small percentage of profit….to stay alive, we need to refocus. (And by the way, he asked us if we were nuts!??)

So, take a look…you’ll see some new things going on. Silver Mountain is shaping up to be a real mountain bike destination spot. Their operations guy bought his own mini-excavator and is building new cross country and downhill trails faster than Micheal can talk into a microphone!! He can’t wait to host a WIM Series event! Look for lots of great racing there in the future. And Downhillers….they’ve got a Gondola!!! We may be able to board up the windows and throw in some old sweat socks if you truly miss the smelly darkness of the back of a Penske Box Van!

We’ve also added a Mt. Bike Duathlon series (run, mountain bike, run), a Thursday night Mt. Bike Series, and a triathlon. Eric has considered competing in the Duathlon series, the running part of course!! That should be a treat; we may have to charge a spectator fee for that!

Still pending are: a new 24 Hour race in the Seattle area, another triathlon and a women’s mountain bike clinic. Round & Round will not be involved in the NORBA Nationals at Schweitzer in 2005.

Season passes for the 2005 WIM Series will be available starting December 1, 2004. We’ll send out another email to update you on that.

In the meantime, hope your autumn and winter are most enjoyable and we look forward to seeing you in 2005.

The Crew at Round & Round Productions
-- Eric Ewing

Round and Round Productions
www.roundandround.com

also.....

schedule...

Round and Round Productions

2005 Schedule of Events

DATE EVENT LOCATION

03/06/05 4th Annual Blazing Saddles Spokane WA
Chili Ride

03/19/05 *McMud Fest XC MTB Race Spokane WA
03/20/05 **McMud Fest MTB Duathlon Spokane WA

04/02/05 *Riverside Ruckus XC Spokane WA
MTB Race
04/03/05 **Riverside Ruckus Spokane WA
MTB Duathlon

04/23/05 **Beacon Blastoff MTB Duathlon Spokane WA
04/24/05 *Beacon Blastoff Downhill Spokane WA

05/14/05 2nd Annual Dubikeathlon Spokane WA
05/15/05 **MTB Duathlon Finals Spokane WA

05/28- 6th Annual Round the Clock Spokane WA
05/29/05 24 Hr MTB Race

06/02-06/09- Spokane Sunset Series Spokane WA 06/16-06/30- XC MTB Race Series
07/07/2005 Thursday Nights

06/11/05 *Beacon Bomber XC MTB Race Spokane WA
06/12/05 *Beacon Bomber Downhill Spokane WA

06/25/05 *Silver Mountain XC Kellogg ID
WIM Finals
06/26/05 *Silver Mountain DH Kellogg ID
WIM Finals
07/24/05 Lake to Forest Triathlon Sandpoint ID

09/17- Tour Des Lacs Spokane WA/
09/18/05 Coeur d’Alene ID

*WIM Series Race **MTB Duathlon Series
Events still under construction:

August 2005: 24 Hr Race somewhere in the Puget Sound Area (???)

August 2005: Coeur d’Alene Triathlon (???)

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
If that schedule is for real then it looks liek I'm done racing mountain bike. Game over on XC. It's all CX and road now. no way in hell im travelling as far as spokane to race.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
No Schwiezter?

I rode the lift at Whistler with some guys from silver. They had no idea what they were doing with bike but could see that Whistler was doing something right and they wanted a part of it. They were there just to check it out. Hopefully they have some real riders to help with trail design. It sounds like they have an owner with the right attitude. I'll drive 7 hours to avoid a shuttle truck without a second thought.

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
PsychO!1 said:
As far as Spokane???? Spokane is as close as they get!!!
spokan is 8 hours away from me. There is a CX race every weekend within 2 hours of me this fall. During the summer theres a road race, criterium, or a time trial every weekend within 2-3 hours from me.

Anyways, it's a bummer to not race the WIMS anymore.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Schwweitzer is not being run by WIM. it is still happening though.

also june 11-12 is both WIM and Hood. and the last 2 wims are only a weekend apart? Not good.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
oly said:

also june 11-12 is both WIM and Hood. and the last 2 wims are only a weekend apart? Not good.

Wow, three races and they can't even schedule them so they don't conflict.

Maybe we need to start hounding Kevin to run his again.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
I know I said this last year but this year we have a partner to host our race here in Bellingham, it wont be until Fall so sometime around Sept-October but we are working on putting together a MTB Festival. Location is just 30-40 mins outside of Bellingham off the Mt. Baker HWY. Campground literally right across the road on a lake with plenty of spaces to camp. DH Course has partially been mapped and we are hoping to get a walk through with the land manager in the coming weeks to take a closer look at all of it. Event will have DH, XC, possibly other events and festival atmopshere.

Atura Recreation and WWU Cycling will be hosting.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
oly said:

I really hope it stays on the schedule!!! I have a score I need to settle with that course and was pissed I couldn't make it there this year :mumble:

But who the heck else could do it???

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Velocity Girl said:
I really hope it stays on the schedule!!! I have a score I need to settle with that course and was pissed I couldn't make it there this year :mumble:

But who the heck else could do it???
Team Big Bear is putting it on.

WOW...I just realized that they aren't even doing the Battle in Seattle next year! I have a score to settle with that course :angry:

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Snacks said:
Team Big Bear is putting it on.

Sounds good to me!!! :thumb:

I just want a chance the to get the crap beat out of me by a narly a** course that leaves your arms and legs feeling like jello, inhale mounds of dust, and if I'm lucky get a few more bruised ribs again......wait a second.....I do this volunatarily and pay for it too??? Hell YES!!!! :D :D :D :D

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
That’s embarrassing.

Anyone wanna make a bet tha Spokane riders will do well in the WIM points this year? :rolleyes:

I’m going to be optimistic, a race series will come to the NW and will be an improvement. It’s just a matter of time and opportunity. Also, this will be better motivation for the time being to make it to Hood and BC races. I have only heard great things about those.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Man, only 3 WIM DH races? Is that even a series? That blows. So, I guess I'm doing Schweitzer and spending more time at Whistler. Maybe I'll do a few more nationals next year.

Anyone want to split the cost/drive to a couple nationals? I have a diesel Jetta and get awesome gas mileage.

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
Five said:
Anyone want to split the cost/drive to a couple nationals? I have a diesel Jetta and get awesome gas mileage.
I think we should talk. I want to put shared trips together. I have a minivan with ok mileage, good if split by a couple people. PM me if you are really interested.

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Well, it happens, like i said in the WIM thread, time to go to Canada. For all you guys who are planning on going to Hood take a look at Canada, those B.C. Cup races are amazing and I am working with their coordinator to get us equivelent license instead of having to start as beginners. I guess we need a bumper sticker that says, " WIM happens, deal with it." Oh and i think us west siders will do just fine against the spokane boys, we always have.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
I find it hard to believe they took out a couple of their better xc races, Winthrop and Chelan. From looking at their calendar it looks like they will be busy. I am guessing they are counting on building up their core of Spokane-Idaho riders. If you like to race what are the alternatives-Canada or Oregon? Thats further for me. Hopefully Winthrop MVSTA puts on a spring race. If they do that one and the other independent like Olympia, Bellingham-Whimps and Leavenworth keep their races that four races. I am not ready to do road races, I think I would have to be on a permanent diet and buy a Saab with a bike rack. :)

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
NineFingers said:
How far is ski-bowl from McChord AFB?
Depending on your driving habits... Ive made the trip from Olympia to hood in just about 3 hours. Its 1:45 to portland(on the east side via i-205) and Government Camp is another hour or so if you mind the speedlimit. There lots of traps up there, but for the most part you can drive at least 60 except for a few small towns.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I hope a lot of you guys/gals decided to hit up the hood races. The courses are always much more challenging then most of the wim courses. Gnarly rock sections, high speed jeep track, tight wood sections all in one course. It's also lifted, and you can run the lifts all day even after the race.

Peter is now doing his own series (seperate from randy dreillings oregon state series) like he did back in the day when the washington riders used to always come down. Electronic timing thats always very accurate, and things happen in a pretty timely manner, at least more timely than the few wim races I've been to.

Also, about those tenative dates. I have a feeling, and from the little bit I gathered from talking to peter this last season, that the tenative dates will probably depend on how well the turn out is at the first three events. So if you want to make his series fly, then get as many people as possible to those events and peter will most likely try and keep as many events going on his schedule as possible.

I probably won't be able to race there next year, but if I hear that a bunch of you are going to hit up a race, I'll definetely come up and do some filming.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
DH Diva said:
I probably won't be able to race there next year, but if I hear that a bunch of you are going to hit up a race, I'll definetely come up and do some filming.
That would be cool! Im planning on the hood series for sure.....

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
X-post from that other wim thread... wanted to say the same thing in this one....

My biggest problem with the new WIM schedule is race#2 conflicts with hood, and #2 and #3 are separated by only 1 weekend. For myself and maybe others it will be impossible for 2 races so close in time that far away. Gas will be sky high next summer, you have hotels, food, race fees, ect..... I cannot afford this monitarly, and with family time. Its just a bad idea to do this back to back like that. Im going to e-mail eric and let him know this, and i encourage anyone else who has problems with this schedule to do the same. I doubt it will change anything, but who knows....

I might make spokane #1, but if i dont hope to see all my racing friends at Hood, Whistler,the BC races? (ill probably only do the BC race at Mt Washington....), and maybe the Idaho National this year....

EDIT: just realized WIM2 and Hood conflict.... That means i may make only the first WIM. (aprin 23-24)

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Driving distance:

Olympia to kellogg : Total Est. Time: 6 hours, 6 minutes Total Est. Distance: 389.19 miles

Seattle to Kellogg : Total Est. Time: 5 hours, 21 minutes Total Est. Distance: 347.99 miles

Oly to Spokane : Total Est. Time: 5 hours, 3 minutes Total Est. Distance: 320.24 miles

Seattle to spokane : Total Est. Time: 4 hours, 18 minutes Total Est. Distance: 279.04 miles

Olympia to Hood (Govy) : Total Est. Time: 2 hours, 55 minutes Total Est. Distance: 162.27 miles

Seattle to Hood : Total Est. Time: 3 hours, 54 minutes Total Est. Distance: 221.63 miles

These are standard searches from Mapquest. Im sure the figure following speed limits in these times, so if your a lead foot you can shave a little off.....

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
oly said:
oh, for the DH guys.... 3 DH races? Guess the rumors of them not using spokane wernt true.

Oregon or bust.
BC Cups!!! They are pretty cool! We are planning on hitting as many as possible next season, especially now after seeing that WIM is having only 3 DH races including the final....

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
DH Diva said:
I hope a lot of you guys/gals decided to hit up the hood races. The courses are always much more challenging then most of the wim courses. Gnarly rock sections, high speed jeep track, tight wood sections all in one course. It's also lifted, and you can run the lifts all day even after the race.

Peter is now doing his own series (seperate from randy dreillings oregon state series) like he did back in the day when the washington riders used to always come down. Electronic timing thats always very accurate, and things happen in a pretty timely manner, at least more timely than the few wim races I've been to.

Also, about those tenative dates. I have a feeling, and from the little bit I gathered from talking to peter this last season, that the tenative dates will probably depend on how well the turn out is at the first three events. So if you want to make his series fly, then get as many people as possible to those events and peter will most likely try and keep as many events going on his schedule as possible.

The problem we had with doing the Oregon races was that practice is on Friday. If they changed it to Saturday practice and race Sunday...you would see more of Ethan and I for sure! We don't want to only get a couple practice runs in and then have to race the same day....

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
MUTOLI said:
The problem we had with doing the Oregon races was that practice is on Friday. If they changed it to Saturday practice and race Sunday...you would see more of Ethan and I for sure! We don't want to only get a couple practice runs in and then have to race the same day....

True, that is a drawback. Maybe with some e-mails they could be pursuaded to change that. When we raced the final Peter there had a questionaire and that was one of the q's. Maybe sat/sunday could bring more seattle riders down.