Quantcast

Finally riding again... (joaquin miller)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So, since moving to the bay area, I've barely been on my bike. But now, I've been managing to at least get a short ride in at Joaquin Miller on the weekends, and I've got to say, I'm a happier man for it.

Pales in comparison to the scope of the riding I did in years past, but it's really a kick-ass little park once you learn your way around. The route I've been enjoying has just been to start at Bishop's walk, climb to Sinawik, to Palos Colorados (the bike-permitted section...damned nice ride among the redwoods by the creek) to Sunset, up to the top on Sequoia Bayview (such a nice, steady, easy climb...) and taking Cinderella down back to Palos Colorados and down to the car again. Not too long of a ride, but it gets the job done.

I was giggling my ass off on Cinderella today...I just haven't had so much fun riding in a long time.

Been down to Skeggs a few times and up to Tama Rancho, as well. Good stuff, but JM is the only thing I've got time to do most weekends.

Can't wait to get back out to the mountains and hit up D-Ville and the rest of the stuff out there, either...

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Is chapparal the one with all the waterbars? I've only ridden *up* that... (first time at the park, big mistake...)

MD

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Anyone up for some after work/early evening rides in the east bay? I work in downtown oakland and would like to get some regular rides happening during the week, maybe tuesday or wednesday nights. I need about a week to let a sprained ankle heal up but otherwise I'm down for whatever. I can usually be ready to roll around 6, 6:30.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
MIKED RIDES A BIKE!!!!!

YES!!!!!!!!

Get in shape beyotch. Come ride up here this summer.
Bah, talk to me once your 5.10-booted hack feet have learned to ride a bike or something. 'Cuz I hear you don't know what you're doing.

That's the rumor around the DH forum, anyhow.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I miss that park, lotsa good times there. When I worked at shops in Berkeley we'd have 5pm rides there every Sunday.

My route usually went:

Up Old Tunnel
Down Skyline
Up West Ridge at Redwood park's Skyline gate
Drop down through Robert's Park
Cross Skyline to JM Park
Drop down Big Trees
Back up
Drop down every other trail in JM
Back up again and again
Drop through to Sinawik/Palos
Down to the roads and back through Montclair, stopping for coffee and/or food.

Alternate lung buster climb: from Montclair go up Shepard's Canyon to Skyline. :death:

Look for along the way: very small bmx track hidden near the electrical tower off the bike path above Montclair. Nice place to get bruised before you hit the trails.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Probably going to do a ride on Sunday morning if anyone cares to...