Quantcast

Finding a used bike is not nearly as easy as a used car!

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I just want a 2011 or 12 Stumpjumper Evo in a size medium, preferably in Germany.

This will be the first used bike that I buy, if I can find it soon enough, otherwise I'm picking up a Canyon 29er hardtail.

Are you often able to find the bike that you want when you buy used or do you just settle for something close enough for a decent price?

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Why is that? Everything that I've read about the Stumpy Evo's has been great. Same can be said for the Canyon 29ers, and I'm interested in both, but for different reasons. I think I'll get a bit more use out of the Canyon as a commuter and because the trails close to my flat are smooth, but the Stumpy could be more fun.

Most of the used bikes here are size large. I always ride a medium, but was also thinking that I could get the large, put a 50mm stem on, and get a more aggressive riding position for the descents, without being too cramped for the flats and uphills. The top tube plus stem length would be within 5mm of the normal length stem on the medium SJ evo and a 50mm stem on a large SJ evo. Any reasons why that's a terrible idea?

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
i live in the states, and between those 2 i'd opt for the canyon.
Seriously? I'm not a Specialized fan but the Stumpy Evo is a really, really nice bike.

OP - I am not sure what the used bike market is like in your area but the best deal where I am would be on a new bike. LBS sells them at a pretty descent discount. They are in pretty high demand and the discount on a used bike wouldn't be enough to justify it IMO. I'd bite the bullet and get a shiny new bike.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Most of the used bikes here are size large. I always ride a medium, but was also thinking that I could get the large, put a 50mm stem on, and get a more aggressive riding position for the descents, without being too cramped for the flats and uphills. The top tube plus stem length would be within 5mm of the normal length stem on the medium SJ evo and a 50mm stem on a large SJ evo. Any reasons why that's a terrible idea?
The most important thing about any bike is the fit. You'll have way more control and fun on a bike that is the right size.

Descending on a bike that is too large puts the rear wheel too far behind the rider (no matter how short the stem is), reduces the amount of control and can result in more crashes. On a bike with the right fit you can flick the bike around, rail corners and drop steeps with more confidence.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
It all depends where you live. It seems that areas that have a lot of riders have lots of bikes for sale at the end of the season. I can't speak for Germany.

In Vancouver, you can shop amongst a huge variety of super high-end bikes at the end of every season. Troll nsmb.com buy and sell, or the vancouver area on pinkbike.

You can be fairly certain that the bikes will be in good shape. Shipping will cost you though...

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
I have a 2012 Evo and love it to death. Probably the best all around bike Ihave ever owned.

You are probably going to have a hard if not impossible time finding a 2012 anywhere used. I bought a frame set in early January and was told then that there was only a handful of frames left in the country. 2 weeks later they where all gone. They did another run of them in the early summer and they were snatched up just as quickly. The 2011 may be easier to find, but probably not by much.