Quantcast

F'ing aluminum bolts...

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Why are the used on bikes so much? I just stripped one of the two lower crown bolts on my super-t. I cut a slot to use a flat screw driver, but it's in there too tight to work. Maybe I should just leave it like that for the Infineon race this weekend and get it out after (hopefully the current height is okay).

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
ahhhh those are not aluminum. the only place i have seen alloy bolts on a bike are in some of the bigger sussy pivots and that is safe due to their size.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I stripped that allen head, not the crown. Well, whatever it is, it's soft. The odi screws must be aluminum. It's not hard to strip them.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I stripped that allen head, not the crown. Well, whatever it is, it's soft. The odi screws must be aluminum. It's not hard to strip them.
Put some grease on the threads, those are not aluminum they are just tiny and strip easily. If you grease each bolt before you put it on the clamp it will clamp better and not strip as easily...my $.02

noskcaj

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
Northford, CT
nope, they're steel. Get a good allen pack and make sure it is in all the way before trying to turn the screw. If you want to check if a bolt is aluminum or steel, use a magnet. Like mentioned before, the only aluminum bolts I have ever seen were for suspension pivots, sometimes derailler stops screws and some forks have aluminum shafts/nuts to secure the lowers.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Put some grease on the threads, those are not aluminum they are just tiny and strip easily. If you grease each bolt before you put it on the clamp it will clamp better and not strip as easily...my $.02
Cool, thanks! I use 2 Park 3-way wrenches. How could I get that bolt out? I put a notch, but it's too tight for a flat screw driver.

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
I have had some success pounding in a Torx bit when the allen head is stripped. In desperation once, I used a Dremmel to cut the bolt through the gap. Getting the stub out after was tough. Also, watch out for a projectile bolt head when you get through.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I hammered a torx bit into it, then a bigger allen. Neither worked. I tried the impact drill with a wide flat head. After several tries, I finally got it. I need to get some stainless steel bolts...

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Cool, thanks! I use 2 Park 3-way wrenches. How could I get that bolt out? I put a notch, but it's too tight for a flat screw driver.
For those lower crown bolts (or any 2-bolt pinch design), you need to loosen or tighten the bolts alternately and evenly. If you loosen just one of the bolts, the stress transfers over to the other bolt causing it to bind and possibly strip the head. So loosen each bolt a bit at a time. If you torque the non-stripped bolt down, it should make getting the stripped one out a bit easier.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Don't use stainless bolts, they gall and are not as strong as high grade alloy steel bolts. Get a socket head cap screw, they're hardened and coated with black oxide that is pretty resistant to corrosion, your local hardware store should have a small selection, if not try an autoparts store or order from www.mcmaster.com

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Don't use stainless bolts, they gall and are not as strong as high grade alloy steel bolts.
although as a general statement it is true, in this application SS will do just fine (with some anti seize). You do not need anything strong there. In fact to strip the bolts means they were probably getting overtorqued anyway. All of my bolts are Ti on my fork and they do fine.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Agreed, you'll likely strip the aluminum crown before you strip or break a stainless bolt. Still, I hate it when people say they're replacing some bolt with a stainless bolt because stainless is better, it's usually not true, a stainless bolt is much weaker than a high grade carbon steel bolt. Even in this case I'd use an alloy steel cap screw as it will be more resistant to rounding the head in the future, unless you ride your bike in salt water I don't think stainless fasteners are really necessary, they just look nice.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Why are the used on bikes so much? I just stripped one of the two lower crown bolts on my super-t. I cut a slot to use a flat screw driver, but it's in there too tight to work. Maybe I should just leave it like that for the Infineon race this weekend and get it out after (hopefully the current height is okay).
Torque wrench FTW

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
And by the wya teh spiral screw extractor will probably not work without drilling the head deeper. At whic point you will most likely just be able to remove the entire top of the bolt and roll the thread section out with a small pic. Works wonders

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
The head is what locks up on the bolt, not the threads (if grease was used). Sometimes drilling the head off the bolt works the best, then use C-ring pliers (because they are thin) grab the bolt through the gap of the crown and start loosening.