Quantcast

Finger break recovery time?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Broke my right index finger yesterday...in a splint, what's the typical healing time?

*paging Dr. Toshi*

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Based on my personal experiences:
Time to ability to use finger normally: 4-6 weeks
Time to finger feeling 100% again: never

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i broke my left index and middle finger on July4th. it still aches and i cant ride a full day still.
stay off of it for as long as you can at first. i rode and raced on it for the next three weeks and im sure that didnt help at all.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Spiral fractured my left pinky finger/cracked knuckle last October. In Cast for 5 weeks. Splint after for 3 with rehab. Got on a road bike the day the cast was off. Feels good now and I hardly notice it when riding. My left thumb on the other hand has been plagued with skiers thumb for 3 years now, hurts to shift sometimes......

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Damn...about what I thought. I caught a football wrong. It's good I have a physical therapist housemate.

Back to the road bike with me. :(

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I sprained my thumb badly once on an endo and it was good year before it started feeling close to normal again. Best of luck for a fast recovery, Blue.

(did you at least catch the ball?)

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Truth be said, Recovery time on a broekn finger will all depend on the break itself. I have broken a coupe fingers, one took quite some time, I was stubborn, just taped it up, and finished a wrestling match. That one was pretty bad, still plagues me a bit today twelve years later. The others have been small hairline fractures, splints for a couple weeks and live was all better. Hope your finger heals up soon.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I broke my pinky knuckle (boxers fracture) and the base of my ring finger(near my wrist). The ring finger healed in two weeks. I didn't want to risk messing up my pinky so I had surgery, and it took nearly three months before it was totally healed.

tylerpier137

Monkey
Mar 29, 2007
ventura
I broke my left ring finger riding when I was 13-14 and I was riding within a month or so. I never got it reset so it healed with a slight curve, it freaks some people out.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I broke my left pinkie finger on South Mountain in Phoenix in March of this year. Shattered the middle bone in at least 4 places and was put in this traction device for 8-weeks. Sucked. Physical therapy the whole time. I still can't straighten it fully (probably never will), and can curl it under about 90% , but it aches when bending. It affected my riding (hurt, lessened grip strength) up until about a month ago.