Quantcast

finish line speed clean stuffed my brakes!?

sundayrider

Chimp
Feb 13, 2008
Australia
Ive just cleaned my discs (Saint) with Finish Line Speed Clean which says is suitable for cleaning discs and I now have practically no brakes!

Im wondering whether anyone else has used Speed Clean on their brakes (especially Shimano Saint)? Im thinking it might have permeated and stuffed the pads or maybe it hasnt fully evaporated...?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Ive just cleaned my discs (Saint) with Finish Line Speed Clean which says is suitable for cleaning discs and I now have practically no brakes!

Im wondering whether anyone else has used Speed Clean on their brakes (especially Shimano Saint)? Im thinking it might have permeated and stuffed the pads or maybe it hasnt fully evaporated...?
well does the bottle say "suitable for brake pads?"

use rubbing alcohol or dawn soap on the rotors, if that dont work then buy new pads

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I've only used Speed Clean and Clean Streak (White Lightning's version of "speed degreaser") on rotors, which is just fine. Never sprayed it on pads, but... why would you spray anything on your pads in the first place?

That said, I try to use only rubbing alcohol and/or charcoal-filtered vodka for disc brakes whenever possible.

Last edited:

sundayrider

Chimp
Feb 13, 2008
Australia
yeah I guess Im lazy (and stupid) as I cleaned the discs while still on the bike and the speed clean must have ruined the pads. Didnt think it would but i guess i know now:poster_oops:

MikeStanfill

Chimp
Mar 24, 2008
Alaska
Yeah, I accidentally soaked my Avid pads in the stuff. Now, the breaks are good up until a certain pressure, after which the power vanishes with a horrible squealing.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
you can spray clean streak all over your pads if you want without issue, ive done it.

i wouldnt do it for fun but it wont kill them

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I went through the same stuff, from changing fork oil. I tried bleeding my brakes, and then nothing. I put new pads on, and they worked great.

NOTE: I heard putting a torch to them for a short period of time get the crap off!

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Or don't do it again and pony up the measly $20 for new pads.
The torch method is just stupid:plthumbsdown: