Quantcast

Finished my 7point build for now

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
After a few delays I finally finished putting together my 7point. I was one of the lucky few to get in on the insane Supergo deal and purchased a large 7point7 a few months back. I got the bike shortly there after, much to my surprise, since I figured they would cancel all of the sales at the price I had paid. For some reason, FedEx thought it was a good idea to leave the giant bike box propped against front door of my house along a fairly busy road. I was more than a little surprised that they left it without a signature given the value of the merchandise, but whatever, I finally got it.

Upon opening the box, I found that I was missing the SDG seat and seatpost which I meant contacting Supergo. I didn't expect much from them and after a few calls to check on the status, I received another saddle and post directly from IH. :thumb: I then got a little busy with some other projects and changing jobs and the poor bike sat in my dining room for some time. I finally got some free time and I stripped the bike down to just the frame, shock, fork (and axle), headset, stem, derailleurs, boomerang, seatpost clamp, and bottom bracket and it tipped the scales at 19.4 pounds.

After a long wait for a rear hub (and actually ordering a different hub) and a few weeks of waiting for the front brake, I got the thing re-built this past week. I didn't go nuts changing things around but I replaced the Hayes Mags with BFL levers with some Magura Louise FRs with 210 front and 180mm rear rotors. The X.9 triggers were swapped out for some X.0 twisters. SDG goods were replaced with WTB and Thomson. Wheels are a light build of Hugi 20mm front laced with Supercomps to a Stan's ZTR Freeride rim and the rear is the same except using a WTB 12x150 hub. I originally wanted a Hugi rear but it just wasn't happening. I'll probably build another set up soon with Hadley hubs and may go nuts and try some CX Ray spokes for the sake of testing. I finished it off with :eek: foam grips, I like them, end of story. Final weight with a 2.5 Blue Groove (folding) and a 2.35 Nevegal (folding) sealed up tubeless was 37 pounds.

Saturday was the first shake down ride to see if I screwed anything up and to get a feel for the way it rides. In a word, the ride was amazing. I met up with a couple of XC guys I ride with at Shindagin park and they were expecting me on my Titus and I was curious if I would be able to hang with them with a bike that weighs 13 pounds more than my normal XC rig. We covered 12 miles of mostly XC trails early in the morning before the humidity set in and I couldn't believe how well the bike pedalled. I didn't take a great deal of time to dial in the 5th or the Breakout+ before the ride figuring that I would tweak some things during the ride but the only time I touched either one was to add 1 turn of rebound dampening to the 5th at about the 8 mile mark. I'm sure I'll make some more adjustments but following the setup guidelines posted on the IH site for the 5th was a good choice.

The two things that surprised me the most besides the pedalling characteristics was how well the bike handled twisty singletrack, even at the 7" setting up front, and how well I was climbing even with the added weight and taller front end. I pulled most of the climbs, was hanging with everyone on the twisties and when we hit Emergency Room, I was airing it out over all of the jump lines. I also got a chance to hit a couple of the stunts in the park and the bike was very stable and confidence inspiring.

Basically, at the end of the day, I don't think I could ask for a more versatile bike. I think the 7point and I will be together for quite a while. It handles the local trails exceptionally well so far and I don't anticipate any problems when I finally get to take it out for some shuttled or lift assisted riding. There will be a few changes to the build as I go like a different saddle, a slightly longer stem, actually wrapping the chainstay, and a few bits for the sake of weight loss.

If I have any nits to pick, I'm not entirely crazy about the cable routing but I may change that before too long. Rear shift cable clearance at the bottom bracket may end up being an issue and the cable stop on the back of the seat tube is perfectly vertical when it would have been nice if it were slightly angled toward the drive side because of the angle of the pull on the Saint front der. The paint looks good but doesn't appear to be the most durable but time will tell. The supplied seat post clamp is about as strong as Utah beer and will be replaced with a Salsa and I need to get the 90 degree fittings for the Maguras.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Pretty sweet...looks like a neo-RFX/Bullit-type ride... All of the pleasure, none of the guilt.

MD

Shepherdwong

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
Sharp looking bicycle! Did you get the valve work from Progressive? Just wondering on people's opinion of that.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Shepherdwong said:
Sharp looking bicycle! Did you get the valve work from Progressive? Just wondering on people's opinion of that.
Thanks.

I haven't sent it in yet although I should have when the bike was justing sitting around waiting for parts. I'm planning on a ti spring so I'll probably get it re-valved when I make the switch.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
I was wondering when some more reviews of 7Points would come out. I've been riding one for months and still think it is the best pedaling 7" bike I've ever ridden (considerably better than those VPP bikes that get rave reviews). I also like the geometry a lot, which I am very picky about, and the supension and braking are very good too.

I all honesty I'm surprised more people on these boards aren't buiying the frame kit option on the 7Point. The msrp for the frame, shock, post, headset and axle is only $1399 and go-ride.com sells them for a bit less.

I'm in the process of building up one of the frame kits for myself (for some reason IH wants the demo back I've had for months :rolleyes: ). When I get it done I'll post pics, weight, geometry...etc.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
I'm thinking of selling my bullit frame I bought in april to get a 7point frame.

One of my friend's just ordered one and I'm waiting to see what he thinks.

Looking at the go-ride site, the price is pretty tempting.

Includes FSA Orbit 1.5 Headset, Thomson Elite seat post, and rear axle.

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
I would like it, but I just can't get over how ugly those bent tubes make it, maybe I'm old fashioned, but god damn! Why couldn't they have just made it look like the Sunday?

descender

Chimp
May 6, 2003
San Francisco
PooMan said:
I would like it, but I just can't get over how ugly those bent tubes make it, maybe I'm old fashioned, but god damn! Why couldn't they have just made it look like the Sunday?
I agree. I know the reason why they did this was low standover, but it just looks off to me.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
descender said:
I agree. I know the reason why they did this was low standover, but it just looks off to me.
I agree as well. Straight tubes would make it look way better and would be cheaper to make as well.

But if he had made them straight people would probably complain of standover.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
tnx for all that info sounds like you had a lot of fun.

i have a question about the tires, how well are the sidewalls holding up and how resistent are they to folding?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Cave Dweller said:
I agree as well. Straight tubes would make it look way better and would be cheaper to make as well.

But if he had made them straight people would probably complain of standover.
The bent tube adds $0.60 to the cost of the frame. Seriously.

Dave

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
vitox said:
tnx for all that info sounds like you had a lot of fun.

i have a question about the tires, how well are the sidewalls holding up and how resistent are they to folding?
The tires have been holding up rather well. I had the same setup on my Imperial for a while and I have no complaints. I need to get some real downhill runs on them before I can comment further though.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
ska todd said:
I was thinking of having it done enchilada style for next year.

-ska todd
The 7-point "Verde." mmmmm. pedals well, yet deliciously tangy...

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
dw said:
The bent tube adds $0.60 to the cost of the frame. Seriously.

Dave
Well then why didn't you save this poor guy 60 cents? He would have been able to afford that can of cola he wanted so badly... Look at what you've done... Maybe you should think things through more before you act. You've got a lot to learn Dave, a lot to learn...