Quantcast

"Finished" R9

c.o.d51

Monkey
Oct 5, 2005
Well, I finally "finished" my R9 build. I still want new, lighter wheels, an integrated stem and Goodridge brake lines, but I can make do for now:D

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
that thing is hot sauce...

i love the quotes around 'finished' everyone should do that because as i have learned nothing is finished.

i love the bike...looks like a deadly slayer. go ride bro

edit, is that road bike tape on the chainstay? never seen that but i bet it is quiet i have a pile of tape sitting around might try it if you say it works...give me some feedback 'brah'

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Oh god and r9 in orange... My life is complete. I was drooling on one of the "ride this" guys's r9 over the weekend. The detail on them is just crazy. And I love the black 40, I hope black makes a comeback.

c.o.d51

Monkey
Oct 5, 2005

i love the quotes around 'finished' everyone should do that because as i have learned nothing is finished.

edit, is that road bike tape on the chainstay? never seen that but i bet it is quiet i have a pile of tape sitting around might try it if you say it works...give me some feedback 'brah'
Yeah, nothing really is finished, even if I'd like it to be. There's always something more... Oh, and yeah, it is bar wrap. Found the camo wrap and figured it would be different, so I tossed it on. Seems quiet enough.

As for weight, my bathroom scale says anywhere between 40-45lbs :crazy: I think 42lbs is about right though. Could save some weight with new wheels, but for once I'm not going to replace something that still works:lighten:

Last edited:

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
If your running tubes I'd say its about 43-44, if not it'll be down in the 42's. Nice looking bike, the only thing I'm not a fan of is the XTs but I've just had a bad experience with them haha. Any chance your going to Diablo tomorrow so we could do some laps?

c.o.d51

Monkey
Oct 5, 2005
manhattanprjkt83
Avy cult member as of 4-20-06

Whaaat...do my eyes decieve me...no AVY on this R9....shame shame...

I kid of course...sweet rig.
My first rig in a few years without an Avy. But ya never know, anything is possible;) Yes, the Roco is smaller, 9x2.75. I like the geometry from the shorter shock, a lot.

No, I won't be at Diablo this weekend:disgust1: Working and other stuff. I'll be there next weekend though, Sunday I think. Or maybe Monday, haha. And we'll see what happens with the XT's. I'm pretty easy on cranks, and I don't usually hit my pedals too often.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007

I have road tape on my bike - I'd recommend it, its really quiet, light, looks clean, and easy as hell to replace (especially if you work at a shop - "hey, next bar tape job you do that you remove old black bar tape save it, I want it")

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head

Yes it is, works great, easy to put on, been doing that for folks for years now, In fact Mine has teh same tape. Mine is just Dirty.

EDIT, changed the pic, new one is better

Last edited:

freakrock

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Santiago de Chile
i've been thinking about putting a shorter shock on my r9 too, but thought about going 9*3...
I would really apreciate if you could tell me as much as you can about your bike's geo and travel. :monkeydance:

c.o.d51

Monkey
Oct 5, 2005
i've been thinking about putting a shorter shock on my r9 too, but thought about going 9*3...
I would really apreciate if you could tell me as much as you can about your bike's geo and travel. :monkeydance:
I got the 9x2.75 because BTI had it available, haha. The geometry kicks ass. The bike is slacker, and my BB is a hair under 14" with 2.5 Minions and the 40. I love low slack bikes, and the R9's tall BB just wasn't doing it for me. As far as travel goes, I think it's a hair over 8". Maybe 8 and a quarter. I don't miss the extra 2" of travel (R9 has about 10"). However, I do need to revalve my shock because of how progressive the R9 is. I've lost a good deal of small bump sensitivity, but it still kicks ass on big hits. The main nuisance is that the shock feels like it hits wall of sorts about half way to 3/4's of the way through it's travel, and that is with running no compression damping on the Roco. Honestly though, it's not bad, and I can definitely deal with it. I too have been thinking about a 9x3 Avy for the bike, but I'm worried that the seatstay yoke/link may come into contact with the seattube, because it comes fairly close with the 2.75 stroke. We'll see though...