Quantcast

Firing someone?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I don't want to do it to poor asshat, but poor asshat has pushed the limits of the crappy podunk sandwich shop too far. How do I come off as nice but not a pushover sap?

I lack managerial experience. Enlighten me, oh hardened veterans of the people management world.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
Just stop putting him on the schedule - and make sure there aren't any payroll glitches that keep paying him.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
I lack managerial experience. Enlighten me, oh hardened veterans of the people management world.
Your first step in gaining "managerial experience" would be learning how to fire someone. Tell him you have to let him go and state the facts why. And make sure you are exactly right on with the facts so He can't come back with a wrongful termniation claim. In Washington State, it is "right to hire and fire" meaning you can let anybody go at anytime for any reason, and you don't have to tell them what you are cxanning them for. Which is why sometimes it is better to not tell them why they are fired. At least that is the way in Wa State.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I don't want to do it to poor asshat, but poor asshat has pushed the limits of the crappy podunk sandwich shop too far. How do I come off as nice but not a pushover sap?

Sit him down and explain exactly what he has done/is doing wrong. Dont get emotional. Dont make it personal. Dont even give him the chance to make up excuses and promises that he will not keep. If he has continually done the same things, he will do it agian no matter what he says. It would be a HUGE bonus if you have documentation of past issues (you owe it to him to give him one chance to correct behavior). Not only to cover your ass, but you can use these written warnings as 'notes' to give specifics of the problems.

When YOU are done talking, tell him again that the decision has been made, no discussion! end the meeting.

When I took over the snowboard shop, first thing i had to do was fire a good friend. He was just 'too cool'. The process sucks, but be short, concise, to the point and then end it.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Your first step in gaining "managerial experience" would be learning how to fire someone. Tell him you have to let him go and state the facts why. And make sure you are exactly right on with the facts so He can't come back with a wrongful termniation claim. In Washington State, it is "right to hire and fire" meaning you can let anybody go at anytime for any reason, and you don't have to tell them what you are cxanning them for. Which is why sometimes it is better to not tell them why they are fired. At least that is the way in Wa State.
Very good info, especially if there is ANY possibility that he could claim descrimination.

Do you know if Utah is a 'right to hire' state?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Utah is right to hire, which sucks in some ways, but makes getting rid of him easier.

He's only been working a week, and we're pretty lenient with nearly EVERYTHING. However, it seems some people have a complete lack of common sense and think it's okay to behave like high school freshmen when they're 23.

The girl who was hired about the same time he was may also be up on the chopping block...maybe we should bring in some consultants to help us in this difficult process?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
The girl who was hired about the same time he was may also be up on the chopping block...maybe we should bring in some consultants to help us in this difficult process?
Nah just spend the consultant money on booze. :clue: :cheers:
Trust me you will feel much better than any consultant could make you feel.
(unless she's swedish and exceptionaly cute)
:brows:

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
One of the guys that worked for me sent me this smart-ass e-mail a few months ago - I went down to give him a talking to, and he took a swing at me! That made things much easier from a legal standpoint. "Okay, you're fired. Get out."

I suggest you use the route that I got fired by when I was 15 (from a golf course)-

Boss - "Hey, Joe - check out the new work schedule."

Me - "I don't see my name on here."

Boss - "That's right."

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Utah is right to hire, which sucks in some ways, but makes getting rid of him easier.

He's only been working a week, and we're pretty lenient with nearly EVERYTHING. However, it seems some people have a complete lack of common sense and think it's okay to behave like high school freshmen when they're 23.

Maybe it's time to look at why incompetents are getting hired, you shouldn't need a consultant for that.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Maybe it's time to look at why incompetents are getting hired, you shouldn't need a consultant for that.
Sadly, beyond my control. We've hired 4 people since I've been there (a year)...looks like only one has worked out.

Then again, you really can't be choosy in the food service industry.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Since the person has only been there a short time, IMHO it is easier. Simple as "things are just not working out. This raod is futile, lets not waste each other time by going any further."

In the future, let new hires that you guys have a 2 week (or a month of what ever makes sense) 'trial' period. Then when (not if) you get more f'ups, just tell them the trial is up, and they do not get to pass go.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Dude. You should be excited and reveling in this. YOU GET TO FIRE SOMEONE!!!!!! I would be practicing in the mirror, getting my facial expressions down and everything.

You can be all serious and cryptic... "Sorry, you are just not working out." When he says "But why?" Just wave your hand around and say, "you know... it's just everything... you should go now".

Or you can get specific and angry... "You slept with my GF, you're BOTH fired mother ****er!

You can act non-chalant and too important... "huh, oh yeah you're fired. Go home. (3 seconds later) "Huh, what? Oh you're still here? Go home loser! We have important sandwiches to make".

So many ways to fire somone... Enjoy it. Not only do you get rid of a half ass employee, but you can taunt him while you do it!!! :banana:

Since the person has only been there a short time, IMHO it is easier. Simple as "things are just not working out. This raod is futile, lets not waste each other time by going any further."
Ummm... are you firing somoene or breaking up with them?

Aug 31, 2006
^ agreed.

The best is when you get to fire a boss :D

Man, that was awesome... found out he was doing something illegal, told him to stop, week later he still hadn't, I walked into his office and told him to leave his resignation on his boss' desk by 5pm.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Whatever you do, makes sure its done in an infuriated tone whilst slamming a half-made sandwich into the wall in front of customers.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru

you should get a profit from ths whole thing.

first, anounce to all the sandwich-artists things are slacking off, and heads will be cut. word it in a way that makes it look like its something out of your control.

just wait for the guys first mistake (shouldnt be long), and call him to talk in private (make sure others notice this). tell him, "i have to let you go. its a decision taken beyond my control. come next week for your check".

that´ll have the joint running like a clock for a few weeks.
make sure you word stuff like its out of your control. that way people will be assured you wouldnt be of any help if they slack off. (even if they had been good in the past).

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
^ agreed.

The best is when you get to fire a boss :D

Man, that was awesome... found out he was doing something illegal, told him to stop, week later he still hadn't, I walked into his office and told him to leave his resignation on his boss' desk by 5pm.
Now that is efing awsome!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Tell him you have gotten a Government contract and you will be making a new top secret sandwich and that he doesn't have the security clearance to continue working there.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
If you want to feel like a good guy, give him "another strike and you're gone" warning, then fire him on the next mistake, even something minor.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
double points if the subject´s name is "Ahmad".
Oh dude, it's worse, far worse.

His name is Jason. However, he demands that he be called "J-Rev".

Ownerpants called me today after dropping by el deli this morning (we're not open weekends). Apparently he talked some sh!t to the little Indonesian lady who works there. Definently getting the axe Monday, and apparently I can be as vicious as I feel like.

Any more suggestions on what to say? This excites my evil half... :banana:

Bjern Fita

Chimp
Mar 6, 2005
Åsgårdstrand, Norway
This guy isn't coming in to work everyday because it's awesome fun, he's coming in because he needs a paycheck just like everyone else does. Unfortunately for him he's a drop-kick that doesn't reach the standards that entitle him to a pay-check from you (or through you as the case seems to be).

All this means the boy has to go, but it in no way gives you the right to be a knob while doing it. Straight -up, just the facts and professionally is the way it has to go down. You may not get the rush of the heavy-handed arse kicker but think of it as practise for when you move on to higher responsibility positions where every single little thing you do and say can be scrutinised and brought back to cane you. (not saying that your current role doesn't entail it's own important responsibilities, it obviously does).

And remember, even though you'll already know this is you've watched The Office, there's no way to come out as the nice guy so don't even try. Professional.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head

"""Sorry man, its just not working out, i am going to have to go with someone else....""""" And rememebr to have your Vest on that day, And remember to do this before he has 90 days in so avoid Unemployment and descrimination claims

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
"hey j-rev, i've got good news! you're fired! and i just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to geico."

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
You should freak out and yell at him infront of customers and then say "get out, you're fired". He won't have the balls to do anything but leave if there are customers there.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
You should freak out and yell at him infront of customers and then say "get out, you're fired". He won't have the balls to do anything but leave if there are customers there.
Or he'll try to hook up with one now that he has nothing to do for the rest of the day...

I have to keep him away from customers because he tends to hit on anything under the age of 30 with possesion of a vagina.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Or he'll try to hook up with one now that he has nothing to do for the rest of the day...

I have to keep him away from customers because he tends to hit on anything under the age of 30 with possesion of a vagina.
shout loudly that he is breaking the health code by working as a sandwich artist with syphilis and because of that you have to let him go.