Quantcast

First build im doing

cencalballer

Chimp
Feb 22, 2007
doing my first custom build are there any specialty tools that are needed so far it doesnt seem like it.
also are there any little parts that i might need to order?
currently have or being shipped
banshee morphine frame
avid bb7 brakes
levers/cables for brakes
transition revo wheelset
sram cassette
sram chain with those easy no tool links
fox fork
fsa headset
sram x.9 shifters
sram x.9 derailuers
diety bars
raceface diablous stem
howitzer bb
holzfeller crank
stepdown pedals
got a seat and tires are settled
so is there anything missing that i might need or tools that i need

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Nothing seems to be missing from your parts list but what tools do you own already?

I recommend a torque wrench one 25-250 in/lb for small bolts and a bigger one 0-75 ft/lb for the crank bolts.

You still need a chain breaker for the SRAM chain to size it to the bike.

Mike

cencalballer

Chimp
Feb 22, 2007
thats good to know i got the torqu wrench handled. and i ahve pretty much any toool needed to work on a car. thx thats reassuring.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You are still going to have to cut down the chain, although you won't have to worry about pushing out the pin too far.

Before attaching the chain in the biggest chainring and the biggest cog, and pull the chain so that the rear derailleur cage is at a 45 degree angle. Cut the chain there.

crashdwn22

Chimp
Jan 3, 2007
I'm on my first build right now too. Still gettin all the parts. money is the main issue...but it should be done by summer (hopefully).

Good luck gettin it all together!

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
A.) A lockring tool for the installation of the cassette onto the rear hub. Should look like this...

B.) Headset press. Even though I have a few bikes and have done a fair amount of my own builds, I just take the frame and headset down to the LBS and have them do it. You could make your own out of a vice and some lumber, but the chance (and risk) of failure are not worth it. If you find yourself building a lot more bikes or replacing headsets a lot then it might justify the price tag of a good press....but I wouldn't grab one right off the bat. It'll look something like this...

C.) A bottom bracket tool (I can't seem to locate a pic of the one I have for my Howitzer....but while you're at the LBS for the headset press, inquire about that...)

D.) Crank extractor - unless you have the self-extracting holzfeller bolts like I do, you'll need this to do any maintenance on your cranks and BB area. Make sure you get the ISIS compatible one. (should have a bit of a larger plate on the end so that it is able to press against the BB spindle.)

E.) A pedal wrench. It's basically just a thinner 15mm wrench...*shrug* I found out that my regular wrenches were too thick so I had to pick one up...try your own stuff first...

F.) Don't know if by seat you meant just a saddle or if you have a seatpost too...that would kinda suck to remember that one too late!! :shocked:

Have fun with it!! Hope that blathering helps somewhat.

cencalballer

Chimp
Feb 22, 2007
frame comes with seatpost and seat clamp. thx for the info i do plan on doing more so i guess ill pick up some of these. how do you tell oif the bb is isis splined? it is splined but nothing about isis on it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
frame comes with seatpost and seat clamp. thx for the info i do plan on doing more so i guess ill pick up some of these. how do you tell oif the bb is isis splined? it is splined but nothing about isis on it.
Long as it is not shimano, it is isis.

Oct 9, 2006
Your cranks are isis and you will need a special tool to remove them, it is only about 15 dollars and should come with a little insert/button looking thing so that you dont mash your threads when you pull your cranks.

You will also need a BB tool, it will look like a giant open ended crescent wrench with bung of little nubs inside the contact area. Your LBS should have one for about 5 dollars, I know I had a set of saints and they came with the tool.

As for the headset press, you can make your own by going to the hardware store and finding some really large washers and a long bolt and nut. Put one washer on and put the bolt through the top cup and slide into the frame, put lower cup on and then large washer and nut, hand tighten and make sure that everything is lined up. Then snug it down until the cups seat, make sure to use plenty of teflon grease, it may help to do one cup at a time also.

While you are at the hardware store it would pay to get a piece of 1 1/4 inch inside diameter pipe and a pvc fitting to use as a headset race setter.

cencalballer

Chimp
Feb 22, 2007
cool thx again i guess when he frame arrives ill head down to the lbs and grab those tools. if there are any other tips tricks whatever plz let me know.