Quantcast

First Full-suspension

tyger102

Chimp
Jul 14, 2009
Baltimore
Hi, I am 13 about 110 lbs. and 5'2" and growing. I am looking for my first full-suspension bike to do some beginner freeriding and downhill, but be able to keep the bike as I am growing and advancing in skill level. I would like the bike to be under $1,000 but a little over is not out of the option, I'd just have to wait a little more before I would have enough money. Anyone have any ideas on what would be best for me?

thanks- Tyler

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
First bike: used Stinky. Use it everywhere. Beat the snot out of it until you get better and or it breaks, then use how it feels to decide what you are looking for in a bike. Don't get caught up in the gear chase at this point. Having the latest and greatest will not make your ride any more fun. Relistically, SRAM x7 is great, cheap stuff. The Marzocchi 66 from 06/07 is a fantastic fork. For a first bike, get "good enough" stuff. Worry about bling later.

Other decent choices: Spec Big Hit, SC Bullit, Norco Shore. You will generally find more Stinkys around though. (Not that Big Hits are all that uncommon.)

/thread

greenhood

Turbo Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
SEATTLE-MINNEAPOLIS
First bike: used Stinky. Use it everywhere. Beat the snot out of it until you get better and or it breaks, then use how it feels to decide what you are looking for in a bike. Don't get caught up in the gear chase at this point. Having the latest and greatest will not make your ride any more fun. Relistically, SRAM x7 is great, cheap stuff. The Marzocchi 66 from 06/07 is a fantastic fork. For a first bike, get "good enough" stuff. Worry about bling later.

Other decent choices: Spec Big Hit, SC Bullit, Norco Shore. You will generally find more Stinkys around though. (Not that Big Hits are all that uncommon.)

/thread
What he said.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Nice advice! My first "freeride" bike was an old stinky five (bet you've never seen one of those). My brother still uses it, almost 10 yrs later. Other than being a heavy, pedal bobbing machine it's a great bike.

The one word I would use to describe the stinky, "indestructable" which is a good quality for a first freeride bike. At the same time it's a very capable bike that will allow you to grow as a rider.

The 4-bar on the stinky is very active and fun to ride. It's not as plush as some other designs but it is predictable and likes jumping.

My advice to you, "go west young man, and get a stinky"

Edit: Just found these frames in classified for crazy low prices! Take a look

http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/cat-2/ad-9571/
http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/cat-2/ad-9567/

The bullet would also a great first freeride bike especially at that price for a new (essentially) frame! :eek:

Last edited:

tyger102

Chimp
Jul 14, 2009
Baltimore
Thanks for the input. I have looked at stinkys before and thats the general direction I was heading in. I might get my friends Stinky jr for practically free, but I will definitely look into that, Thanks