Quantcast

First Mountain Bike--Advice

niles

Chimp
Jul 13, 2002
Michigan
Hey Everyone. I've decided to get a mountain bike and thought this would be the best place to get some advice.

I went to a few bike shops in the area and found a couple of bikes in my price range ($350 and under). Since i'm new i just want the best low-end bike possible. The two i saw were the Gary Fisher Wahoo ($340) and the Trek 4300 ($340). The trek has an aluminum frame, and the GFisher has a better suspension (i think-rock shox 80mm travel) but is ovrsized butted cromoly steel - both are hardtails. I plan to ride some relatively basic dirt trails at parks and maybe a little street riding (around campus). Does steel or aluminum make a big dif. at this level?

Any info you guys have would be great! I'm having a tough time making a decision and i want to hit the paths before summer is over, but i don't want to regret my decision- $350 is a ton of food and beer up at school. Thanks in advance!

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Gary Fisher is owned (and made) by Trek, and both are quality. I personally would go for the Fisher, even though it may be a bit heavier due it being chromo. But IMO, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the weight difference.

Go with the Fisher.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
Originally posted by macko
Gary Fisher is owned (and made) by Trek, and both are quality. I personally would go for the Fisher, even though it may be a bit heavier due it being chromo. But IMO, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the weight difference.

Go with the Fisher.
What Macko said.

niles

Chimp
Jul 13, 2002
Michigan
Thanks for your thoughts guys. 2 votes for the Gary Fisher -- despite being chromoly steel. Prob. alot of the components are the same, or compereable anyway.(?)

On a low end bike like, ohh, lets say the Gary Fisher Wahoo, are there any components that should be upgraded right away? I've read here that the bike is super durable (of course heavy too), so i'm hoping to be able to do some mods if i have/want too.

Thanks again to everyone, this site is great, very helpful and informative. RIDE ON!

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
I don't believe in replacing parts right away, especially on an entry level bike. I say, ride it the way it comes from your lbs, as you break parts, replace them. Just remember, this is an entry level purchase, in a year or two you will probably be looking for a new higher level bike.

I don't know anything about upgrading. But the one thing I can recommend is get rid of the toe strap pedals.

Those toe strap pedals are DEATH TRAPS! The stupid toe strap things take too much time and attention away from the trail. I can't tell you how many times I tried to hug a tree, or plant my face, because I was trying to flip the pedal over and get my feet into the straps and not looking at the trail.

Get some good platform pedals instead (unless you just want to jump right into clipless). I had Sun Ringle Zu Zu platforms. They worked great. I think I paid $28 for them.

ACF

Chimp
Jul 12, 2002
Great advice. I have been advised by many to skip 'clip pedals' all together. Go platform or clipless only. :)