Quantcast

First Post - Question about Used Bike

neutrino

Chimp
Jul 12, 2005
Hi everyone. I've been reading the forums for a couple of years off and on. I have finally decided to purchase a bike, and I was wondering if this was a good choice/Deal?

A friend of mine is trying to sell his XCountry bike. It seems to be a pretty decent hardtail. Please keep in mind that the bike fits me, but I'm a big (6'4"), but smooth rider at 275lbs (and dropping).

The bike is:

'03 or '04 Spot Brand MTB (steel frame hardtail)
SID SL Fork
Chris King Headset
Full Shimano XTR groupo
I can't remember specifically what wheels were on the bike.

It looks as if he has taken very good care of the bike with just so normal nicks and scratches. I will primarily be doing some techincal trails and some riding around campus - no huge drops or anything.

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

PICS ON PAGE 3

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I dunno about the frame, But if you get it, I would ditch the fork right away. Sids are pretty flexy and I am guessing from how big you are, It wouldn't stand a chance.

Oh yea, How much is he selling it for?

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
I'm pretty sure you could find something with a better fork for $900...

That frame retails for 950 on the site...though I know nothing about the company, I think you can find something a bit more burly.

neutrino

Chimp
Jul 12, 2005
I'm just not so sure. I just would like to make a wise decision with my money. I'm not looking for an Urban Hucker or anything like that - I must be able to pedal this thing in the woods - and this seemed like a prety viable option even if I had to swap out a few parts. Besides - I can't touch a "burly" Full Suspension bke under, what, $2000?

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
Haro makes a decent bike and you can pick up an X series for easily under 2K. Given, they're not huckers, they're great 'all-mountain' bikes if you want a full suspension.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Spero said:
Haro makes a decent bike and you can pick up an X series for easily under 2K. Given, they're not huckers, they're great 'all-mountain' bikes if you want a full suspension.
Dude... just stop talking. You obviously don't know anything about the Spot frame, so stop telling him to get something else.

That being said, I'm with chicodude -- that sounds like an awesome bike, but the fork will need to be swapped for something more along the lines of a Rock Shox Pike or Manitou Minute. A SID probably won't support a 275 lb rider.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
I'm not trying to sell the guy on other stuff. He's getting ready to shell out 9 bills and if he hasn't looked around enough, it might be a good idea to do so.

I'm 220 and broke a minute two on a 3 foot drop after very little use. The Pike is a good choice though...or if you don't care about weight, take the plunge and get a marz.

neutrino

Chimp
Jul 12, 2005
okay, other than the fork - does it seem like a pretty decent deal? I could just ebay the fork and get something a little more sturdy. But like I said - I'm not going to be doing crazy drops on this bike - just rocks, roots, technical type terrain.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
neutrino said:
okay, other than the fork - does it seem like a pretty decent deal?
Yes, especially if you are buying it from a friend. It's always better to buy from someone you know than to take a risk and buy online from Joe Schmoe.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
dexterq20 said:
Yes, especially if you are buying it from a friend. It's always better to buy from someone you know than to take a risk and buy online from Joe Schmoe.

Yep. Sounds legit to me. Not a bad deal for XTR stuff either. Pikes are nice, even though you would need a new front hub. A older fox talas would be nice, and you wouldn't have to get a new hub

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Spero said:
I'm not trying to sell the guy on other stuff. He's getting ready to shell out 9 bills and if he hasn't looked around enough, it might be a good idea to do so.

I'm 220 and broke a minute two on a 3 foot drop after very little use. The Pike is a good choice though...or if you don't care about weight, take the plunge and get a marz.
its cause minutes arent meant for drops, geez!!!

neutrino

Chimp
Jul 12, 2005
a little more history on the bike:

Apparently this was a Spot Brand Team bike. Most spot brand bikes are single speeds, this is unique in the fact that it is not. It has the team paint job (flat black with red flames). The wheelset is fairly beefy cane creek. It seems to be very cool. He's going to let me try it out for a few days while he goes to Colorado. I just feel more at ease knowing I'm purchasing from a bike mechanic.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
johnbryanpeters said:
You can, but why screw around with it, esp. since the fork's not suitable?

For the nine cees, neutrino can probably find a better suited ride...
Well, that may be the case, but not buying a bike simply because it has XTR is kind of dumb, IMO.

Of course, with an XT equipped used hardtail, he'd probably only have to shell out about $500. And it'd probably have a suitable fork. :p

neutrino

Chimp
Jul 12, 2005
just technical trails, roots, rocks, etc. No huge drop off or anything like that. I live in North Kentucky - so there isn't anything too crazy around here - just technical riding. I just want to be able to ride the trails quickly/efficently and ride around campus in an urban setting just messing around.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
neutrino opinions are like butt holes, everybody's got one.

It's great to get opinions on here but no matter what your question you will get always get opinions for both sides.

RM has very knowledgable people on here but make sure you realise who's comments to take and who's not to.

in the end comes down to your decision and not these guys.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
neutrino said:
just technical trails, roots, rocks, etc. No huge drop off or anything like that. I live in North Kentucky - so there isn't anything too crazy around here - just technical riding. I just want to be able to ride the trails quickly/efficently and ride around campus in an urban setting just messing around.
I'm not overly familiar with the SID fork however I have a hardtail with a Judy TT on it and as long as I pick a good enough line the fork is fine and I'm a heavier rider.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
captainpolution said:
its cause minutes arent meant for drops, geez!!!
Any higher end fork should be able to take such a small drop wihout snapping stanchions. It wasn't anything an XCer wouldn't have done.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Spero said:
Any higher end fork should be able to take such a small drop wihout snapping stanchions. It wasn't anything an XCer wouldn't have done.
Just out of curiousity, what does you breaking a Manitou trailbike fork have to do with someone asking about a Rockshox race fork?

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
Echo said:
Just out of curiousity, what does you breaking a Manitou trailbike fork have to do with someone asking about a Rockshox race fork?
Someone suggested he upgrade to a minute or pike. I tossed my experience out there because the dude mentioned he's on a campus and might to a bit of urban.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Spero said:
Someone suggested he upgrade to a minute or pike. I tossed my experience out there because the dude mentioned he's on a campus and might to a bit of urban.
Actually it seemed like he was going to be riding to and from class.... I didn't get urban out of that but it could just be me.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
johnbryanpeters said:
Let's try a pertinent question:

neutrino, what kind of riding do you enjoy and aspire to? The answer to that should have a big effect on your decision.
He already answered this question.... :think:

"I'm not looking for an Urban Hucker or anything like that - I must be able to pedal this thing in the woods"

"I'm not going to be doing crazy drops on this bike - just rocks, roots, technical type terrain"

I don't know the frame mfgr, but $900 seems a bit steep to spend on a used hardtail.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Chris King Headset
Full Shimano XTR groupo

Nice stuff doesn't come cheap. But if it does break you can replace it with lower end stuff.......

neutrino

Chimp
Jul 12, 2005
wouldn't that be accurate?

$1000 frame
$1500 Full XTR Groupo
$500+ for extras (seat tube, seat, wheels, etc)

I could be completely wrong though. Again - this would be my first real mountain bike.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
SkaredShtles said:
I guess you *could* spend $3000 on a hardtail.......... :eek:

It wouldn't be all that hard.

Ti frame
Fox fork
Crossmax or another rim with king hubs
XTR
Carbon fiber evrything else

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
It did not cost 3 grand. I don't think anyone would pay that much unless they bought it retail custom made from and LBS who did not respect them at all.

neutrino

Chimp
Jul 12, 2005
Just a quick update: I have the bike at the moment to try it out. I wanted to post some pics to see what some of you all thought about it. Please ignore the cheap flat pedals.

neutrino

Chimp
Jul 12, 2005
I will be swaping out the fork when I purchase the bike for something a little more beefy. Just thought I would mention that.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
If you like how it rides I say do it. It is not often that you can pick up a fully built custom steel hard tail like that for the paltry sum of 900 dollars. Looks perty.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
neutrino said:
I'm just not so sure. I just would like to make a wise decision with my money. I'm not looking for an Urban Hucker or anything like that - I must be able to pedal this thing in the woods - and this seemed like a prety viable option even if I had to swap out a few parts. Besides - I can't touch a "burly" Full Suspension bke under, what, $2000?
Check out Kona's line. They've got some great bikes for under the 2K target.