Quantcast

First ride on the new bike!

Flakey Jake

Monkey
Nov 4, 2003
Chico
well actually its been about 3 rides on the new bike, but yesterday was my first "good" ride on the new bike. Thanks to Sputter for finding this bike for me btw.

Anyways, just getting the bike took a while. I just got a '03 Specialized Enduro from a shop up in Seattle. You can't mail order a specialized so I have to have my boss's buddy go into the shop and pay for it. That takes a week to happen. Then they send me the wrong sized frame! They send me a medium and im 6' 1" and no way can I ride a medium. SO I send it back, and then they finally get me the correct size bike two weeks later. But I saved about a grand so it was well worth it.

So I'm upgrading from a GT I-Drive. Don't get me wrong, the GT is a fine ride. It's solid, handles well and can take a serious beating. My only issue with it is that its a bit heavy.

So my first ride on my bike I'm following DerekBob up the hill (he's a freakin mountain goat btw) and I immediately notice how much easier it is to pedal up the hill. I also notice the BB is way lower than the i-drive cuz im clackin my pedals over all kinds of rocks. It was a good ride nonetheless.

Then my shock pump shows up and I set the pressure on the shock according to how fox recommends and it turns out to be super super stiff. So my second ride is kinda frusterating. I'm bouncing around all over the place, clipping out and tri-poddin over sections I normally clean and just rattling myself in general. So yesterday I set my shock to the universally recommended setting of %90 percent of my bodyweight (only about 10 pounds less than before) and man did it ride smooth. It took about 3 rides to get dialed in, but I'm used to the new ride and I'm lookin forward to lots of pedaling this summer!!!!

Sorry if this post seems useless but I'm just stoked on the new bike! :p

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
useless post? PFFF this is probably on par with almost a usefull post.. hahah

welcome to RM!

Good to see some threads about riding!

Also on the enduro you can flip that link for the shock and it will change you head angle and BB height (just to let you know) so if it's in the slack angle position your BB will be lower.. that maybe also part of the reason if feels low... so if it is flip it and there you go..

Awsome to hear your likin the new ride! Of course we'd all love pics of the ride!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Yah i just got an Enduro myself and i used to have an i-drive myself. My i-drive never performed well with a stock RockShox SID, but when i put a Cane Creek on it, it was night and day.
Yah i can't remember but the number on the manual goofs you all up, i think the correct number can be pulled off the internet. Wish i can remember where i finally pulled the correct chart from, but when i was choosing p.s.i. the manual was way off!
And yes the BB heighth is unnervingly low it's about the only real negative i've found with the bike so far. Have fun with your bike and welcome to the monkey. :cool:

SpuTTer916

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
The OV
Glad you like the bike! That is a sweet deal :) I used to have the same problem with pedal clearance on my 2000 Enduro.. I never got used to it. Just be carefull :) I'll have to get up there soon to check it out.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Skookum said:
<snip> RockShox SID, but when i put a Cane Creek on it, it was night and day.
Yeah - I went from a Fox to the Cane Creek on my old Trek Y22 and it was like having a new bike.

And now the CC is on my NRS. Although it needs work. And CC is gonna do the rebuild for gratis. Good company, that.

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Skookum said:
<snip>
And yes the BB heighth is unnervingly low it's about the only real negative i've found with the bike so far.
Yeah - I got to test ride an Epic on the Monarch Crest trail and I was *abusing* the BB on the little bit of climbing..... thought it was me. :)

-S.S.-

derekbob

Monkey
Sep 4, 2003
Chico
Chico is gonna have one more mountain goat pretty soon, cause the enduro probly weighs 5 lbs less than the i-drive. Im surprised there arent any more Chico monkeys, its a big cycling town (for this country anyway). Any monkeys go to Chico State?