Quantcast

First ride on the Travis SC 150

p3rider182

Chimp
Nov 15, 2004
So, I recently picked up a 2006 Manitou Travis Single Crown 150mm TPC+ fork, knowing TPC+ history in what many people consider the worlds best downhill race fork ever, the Dorado, i knew it was going to be good, but just how good?

(The 06' Manitou Travis SC 150 TPC+)

So, I took it out the night before, for a little urban, just to make sure my bike was set up right, and get a feel for hte big day the next day. It felt a little slow, and sticky, i was already giving up hope on the fork, maybe it wouldnt stand up like its DH brother, the dorado. So, i got my new XT Rapid Rise drive-train all dialed in, and got used to my new Ti spring in the rear. I came home, and got ready for the next day.

So, i woke up the next day, early, got my stuff together, and headed to meet my riding buddies. I threw my bike in the back of my friends truck, and got to say hello to my old Dorado. We left and drove a couple of hours to Galbryth, Bellingham WA. I got my bike out, and rode it aorudn just ot try it out. The bike felt nice and tight. We embarked on hour 1 and a half hour ride to the top of the trail, 30 degrees, icy everywhere, snow, and cold brisk air, with a beautiful blue sky. Perfect riding conditions for this time of year.

Going up the trail, having also a 2005 Sherman Flick under my belt, I missed not having a travel adjsut to make the suspenion a little harder to compress, and i also missed my HT with no pedal bob. But i toughed through it, and it still climbed well, and we walked alot of the way, cause everyone else had full on DH bikes.

We got to the top, and i knew it was time to put this new fork to the test. Put my brain bucket on, zipped up the ol' goretex, and headed down. From the first drop, first burms, and first stunts, the fork took everyhting effertlessly. And it was also very solid. No flex, just like it's older brothers, the Shermans. It soaked everything up, and took the terain jsut like my Dorado did, except with less flex, made my front end lighter, and i could do turn downs. Half way down the mountain, it felt like i had the fork for years, i knew exactly how it was going to react to everything. I fell a bit on some of the stunts and ladders, but thats not the forks fault, it was jsut the Icy conditions.

Wehn i got to the bottom of the trail, I very much enjoyed my ride. The Ti spring worked great, smooth, predictable, and did i mention it worked great? The rapid rise was a bit of a dispointment, i liked it going into stunts, cause you cant skip a gear, you pull the lever and it jumps to an easier gear, you cant misfire. Starting off going down was sweet to, its alot easier, beacuse you can downshift, and use the brakes. But while braking, and swithcing into an easier gear, you just can't. But the greatest part of all, was the fork, Worked just like the dorado, except lighter, stiffer, and you can tweak your stunts out more.

I give the Travis Single Crown 150 a 5/5, im no offical, but i have tried some of the greatest bikes out there, and ive gone through alot of products. Ive never felt such a nice fork before, the open bath system works out really well. 5/5 for looks, because the bling factor is important as we all know. 5/5 for predictability, feels jsut liked the dorado, but better. 5/5 for value, for the price manitou is throwing there forks out this year, you cant beat them. 4/5 for huck-ability, I will always feel safer throwing down a big drop on a nice double crown. 5/5 over all, you cant beat this fork.

I am excited for manitou this year, after last years bad rep. with the stances, and the fall of the dorado, due to the 04 SPV dorado, manitou is going to be going strong this year. There prices are a steal also, cheaper then equivilent forks on the market, unless you go DNM. I also own there jump fork for this year, the Gold Label 2 80mm of travel. Ive never felt a more solid urban fork, and it feels great.

Expect great things from manitou in 06', i can't wait to try out in Intrinisic fork, but i heard it the best available.

(The Ti Spring from Renton Coil Springs)

(The rig, in all its glory, and finaly dirty)

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
sweet rig! what's holding the brake line from the hydroformed area above the b.b.? Is it ziptied to the rear der. cable?

How ya diggin the whole bike?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
I call BS that you threw a turndown on that bike.
maybe im blind but i cant find where he said that, if so im calling bs as well...eitherway, that is one of the best bike setups out there...i think i would campagne the 36 vanilla on there though...but I am a fox whore...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
manhattanprjkt83 said:
maybe im blind but i cant find where he said that, if so im calling bs as well...eitherway, that is one of the best bike setups out there...i think i would campagne the 36 vanilla on there though...but I am a fox whore...
p3rider182 said:
lighter, and i could do turn downs.
there.

J

JRB

Why is there a thread about a fork in the lounge???

*kidding - it looks nice.

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
so did it feel anything like an 04 150mm breakout with tpc+, or did the diff colors make it soak up small bumps better?:p . if youve ever ridden one, let me know since i was thinking about getting a new fork... and if the new travises are basically the same thing, i might as well not get one

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
mxer338 said:
so did it feel anything like an 04 150mm breakout with tpc+, or did the diff colors make it soak up small bumps better?:p . if youve ever ridden one, let me know since i was thinking about getting a new fork... and if the new travises are basically the same thing, i might as well not get one
The 150 is pretty much a '03 Breakout with a little more beef. The other travis' should feel a little different with the intrinsic. I'm still debating between the 150 and the 180 for my Splinter.

KnightChild

Chimp
Sep 17, 2006
Noo Zealund
The 150 is pretty much a '03 Breakout with a little more beef. The other travis' should feel a little different with the intrinsic. I'm still debating between the 150 and the 180 for my Splinter.
Nope. Travis' have a completely different bushing design and use MORE semi-bath fluid than shermans (55ml as opposed to 16ml).
Also, the TPC+ is cartridge based with an IFP seperating the oil from the air (just like the Dorado). This makes it less likely to cavitate and will be a better feeling fork for long rough track/trail.
The shimstack is tuned differently too and the rebound adjuster now uses a needle-valve and has a much wider rebound range than the Shermans.
NOTE: The black-anodized stanchions suck bollocks - I upgraded to the 07 gold anodizing (same as shermans) due to noticeable and heavy wear on the stanchions within 1 month of purchase. The stiction is noticeably less too.

jeff da grom

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Long Island
or every day since it's inception, it's been in their favorites ....

they've been waiting for someone to reply, someone like you.

but you never did. they had to, w/out ur help. you bastard