Quantcast

First ride since surgery

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Hey everyone,

Today I went on my first cx ride since I had shoulder surgery in the beginning of September. I almost threw up 2-3 times. It was a good ride. ~8 miles round trip with some really good/steep/slippery/long climbs.

I am SO happy to be back on a bike again! I was supposed to be racing in a local series this whole time. Looks like I have to shoot for next year. Just happy to be back.

Here is a cellphone picture of my ride in my cube at work (Surly Cross-Check):

north20

Chimp
Nov 5, 2007
East Cascades - PNW
Indeed, major congrats :clapping:

I'm coming back from a very extended time off the bike due to a broken back and complications from Lyme disease. And every ride is a damn good one now :)

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks guys!

Man, north20. Thats hardcore. Glad to hear you made it back from that serious of stuff. I have broken my ankle, shoulder (before this last time), had very life/limb threatening staph infection, among a bunch of smaller injuries since I started riding. It is SO nice to be able to come back after those things. =]

Thanks MMcG. I love the bike! I bought it used a few years ago. The original owner only rode it a handful of times because it was too big for him. I lucked out big time.

I_N_I

Chimp
Sep 25, 2007
I'm 5 weeks out from shoulder surgery/screws, I've been riding too(lightly since week 3), but it's taking a while to regain flexibility and strength, and I still have some pain everyday, but it's just soo good to ride. Doctor says I'm ok, as long as I don't fall. Did a 12 mile trail ride last Sunday, but I'm paying for it. Good to hear you're back out there.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Nice. Just be careful.

I am still doing physical therapy 2 days a week. But my last session is the 20th. My pt says the same thing, as long as I don't fall on it I should be ok.

I ended up with 3 permanent sutures and 3 anchors drilled into the bones. They also had to completely re-attach the laybrum. Good times.

Also just fished my 2nd cx ride. WAY less brutal this time around. Cut 3 minutes off of yesterdays ride time. =]

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
yarrr, congrats. I'll be doin the same after my wrist gets the knife here in a couple days. still have the swd i hope?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Woohoo - bet it feels great to be back in the saddle. I know it thrilled me just to be able to sit on my bike after my knee surgery!

Have fun!