Quantcast

First Ride Troubles

kona-rider

Monkey
Sep 17, 2006
Chapel Hill, NC/Charleston, SC
So I just got my first road bike and went on my first ride a couple days ago, a measly 25 miles. After a while the outside of the arch on my right foot started to hurt and once I got back it felt almost bruised. Same thing on the left but much less. Is this a cleat position problem, shoe problem, or pansie foot problem? I rode clipless on my mountain bike for a little while but never had this problem, so I have come to you, the RM masses, for an answer.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Can you bend the soles of your shoes, even a little? If so, wrong shoe for road. What about the insoles... just small piece of material or does it mold to your foot well?

I'm certain it's a combination of everything.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
It could also be that you are lacing the shoes up too tight and its putting too much pressure on the arch of your foot. Like LO said, the insoles could be a problem as well

kona-rider

Monkey
Sep 17, 2006
In terms of where it was sore...along the outside side of my foot, but kind of centered near the arch area if that makes any sense.

As for the shoes I think they are plenty stiff but could probably use some better insoles. It's also quite possible that I over tighten them though. Here they are.

So maybe not as tight and some insoles. Any advice or tips for cleat position. I'm still trying to get them adjusted a little bit better.

nmr8

Monkey
Apr 6, 2007
yeah, keep em loose until they break in. sounds like maybe too much pressure on an unsupported arch. rule of thumb is to line up the pedal spindle with the ball of your foot. hopefully your cleats have a little float to them. also be sure you actually have the right size shoe.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I'll go the opposite direction on the shoe tightness. If the shoe is too loose it cause you to tense your foot up to compensate for the extra movement which can lead to arch pain.

Did you just slap your cleats on? If you did then get to a shop and have them take a look at the positioning. I few millimeters here or there can make a huge difference on road cleats.

EDIT: I agree with loco, 25 miles ain't to sneeze at for a first road ride.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
One other thing to consider is whether or not the cleat is level on the shoe. IE..when you are clipped in the shoe may be sloping slightly to the outside of the pedal. This would cause more pressure to be applied to the outside of the foot. You can shim your cleats to help solve this problem. I would also recommend going on cyclingnews.com and browsing the readers letters to their fitness experts, they answer questions like this on a regular basis and you may find some good information

kona-rider

Monkey
Sep 17, 2006
Thanks for all the help and suggestions! When I first got the shoes the shop installed the cleats for me, but they just threw them on (not my preferred lbs, shoes were onsale. I know store loyalty etc but my preferred lbs that sponsors our collegiate team doesn't carry much gear. Deals mainly with repairs) . When I got home I rode around a little and they felt too far forward so I moved them back a little and tried to get the angle the same, but I think I might need to slightly readjust them. Hopefully it will stop raining tomorrow or Tuesday so I can get back out and see if things start feeling better. If not it's off to my preferred lbs to see if they can help out. Other than this, loving road biking so far!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
As far as angle, I set mine so my heels will just graze the chainstays on the back part of the pedal stroke. That gives me maximum use of float and allows my foot to find a comfy spot.

edit -- again like everything bike related, everyone has their preference.

kona-rider

Monkey
Sep 17, 2006
i adjusted my cleats a little and went for another ride yesterday, around 15 miles, and payed more attention to my feet. I definitely feel like my foot is kind of twisting down to the outside so I guess I'm going to try to move the cleats to the outside of the shoes to get more of my foot over the pedal but also try to get some shims to correct the lateral tilt. LBS my best bet or is there a homemade variation that works just as well?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
i adjusted my cleats a little and went for another ride yesterday, around 15 miles, and payed more attention to my feet. I definitely feel like my foot is kind of twisting down to the outside so I guess I'm going to try to move the cleats to the outside of the shoes to get more of my foot over the pedal but also try to get some shims to correct the lateral tilt. LBS my best bet or is there a homemade variation that works just as well?
Truth be told, I've shimmed my Look cleats with washers before. I know you can get shims made specifically for this purpose, so I would ask the LBS

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
If you haven't used clipless in a while, it is going to feel like your feet are sliding all over the place with the float. I would try not to concentrate on pedaling and just do a few rides before you start randomly changing things.