Quantcast

First time race at Fontana

DHSGS661

Chimp
Dec 19, 2004
mission viejo
hey I'm thinking of riding my first race at the southridge winter series. I have a IH sgs pro freeride and I'm going to race beginner class. Do you guys have any tips or suggestions that might help? Thanxs.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
not really...I think you picked the right place to start. The fee's are reasonable and the course doesn't have anything to hard. Also the southridge team is very organized and treats riders with respect. The only thing I would suggest: Only race beginner if you're a true beginner to riding. If you have been on you bike for a while and you know how to use it. I think you will find better competition in the sport group...D

DHSGS661

Chimp
Dec 19, 2004
mission viejo
BMXman said:
not really...I think you picked the right place to start. The fee's are reasonable and the course doesn't have anything to hard. Also the southridge team is very organized and treats riders with respect. The only thing I would suggest: Only race beginner if you're a true beginner to riding. If you have been on you bike for a while and you know how to use it. I think you will find better competition in the sport group...D
yeah i've been riding for two years so maybe i should start in sport. Whats the course like and whats are the big challenges... i was thinking of heading out there and riding around just to see what its like.

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
DHSGS661 said:
yeah i've been riding for two years so maybe i should start in sport. Whats the course like and whats are the big challenges... i was thinking of heading out there and riding around just to see what its like.
I raced Fontana for the first time last month. It was a good time, the people are friendly and the conditions were excellent. I will be coming back for the next race. The course build was ok. There were some good rock lines and turn sections…. The disappointments were that they have no built jumps. You can find some jump lines through the rocks, but it would cool if they would a throw a few artificial ones in here and there.

The biggest challenge by far is endurance. It is kind of sad because this is supposed to be a downhill race, but if you save your energy on the top and are the strongest peddaler on the wall and you will have an easy win.

The winning tip: start pedaling your downhill bike uphill, rest a few days before the race and dominate the competition :D

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
The hardest part of Fontana is putting up with the fact you can get more practice runs in by pushing than using the shuttle... It's kinda sad.

I think if you're lucky you can catch the shuttle once every hour and a half on practice day.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Jan 15/16
Jan 29/30
Feb 12/13
Feb 26/27
Mar 12/13

Fontana isn't that challenging of a course, you'll do fine. Just make sure you take the little things with you like tubes, pump, der. cable. The little stuff that you need to race. Riding up rather than waiting for the shuttle is almost always faster and also provides a decent warm up.

Have fun

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
amateur said:
Jan 15/16
Jan 29/30
Feb 12/13
Feb 26/27
Mar 12/13

Fontana isn't that challenging of a course, you'll do fine. Just make sure you take the little things with you like tubes, pump, der. cable. The little stuff that you need to race. Riding up rather than waiting for the shuttle is almost always faster and also provides a decent warm up.

Have fun
but don't waste yourself away riding up a whole bunch, stop after you know the course or you'll be too tired to race!

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
darkstar said:
is this course available to the public when there are not races scheduled? is there a fee for use?

thanks
It's Fontucky, baby! No use fee, just ride. You will have to push up the hill because the gate is only unlocked on race days.

And like a couple other people have said, fitness is key. The looonnnnngg pedal section down Crack Alley is a beaatch. I've known a lot of people who have done really well on long-travel freeride type bikes; the lighter weight the better for this course.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
My one tip would be to buy the SRC membership which is $10 off each race so its only $25 to race, you also get a #plate, Tshirt, and some odi grips, its foresure worth it.

weman788

Chimp
May 15, 2004
SJCx3, So Cal
How old are you? What age group or catagory are you going to race in? 15 - 18 Sport is going to be pretty tough this year knowing that Am - Cup aint no more. I think that is what I'm racing in cause my first year racing I kinda sand bagged a little bit. I think you will regret it if you start in Beginner. I know I did!

DHSGS661

Chimp
Dec 19, 2004
mission viejo
weman788 said:
How old are you? What age group or catagory are you going to race in? 15 - 18 Sport is going to be pretty tough this year knowing that Am - Cup aint no more. I think that is what I'm racing in cause my first year racing I kinda sand bagged a little bit. I think you will regret it if you start in Beginner. I know I did!
yeah im think im gunna be racing 15-18 sport. So i guess we'll be racing each other. Are u going to race january 15/16. I'm going to start with the january 31/febraury 1 race. Any one else racing the 15-18 Sport class?

CoMo

Chimp
Nov 13, 2004
SoCal
Anybody interested in riding out there next week. I rode out there a few times this week, everything is in fairly good condition. Few ruts from the rain, not too bad though. Soooo looking forward to the races moving up to expert kinda nervous/anxious.

bfranke

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
San Diego
downhillzeypher said:
I'd be down for it this weekend if you want.
I think it would be a little wet this weekend, plus I'm heading to San Diego for New Years. Next weekend, 1/8/05, would work if anyone is up for it.

weman788

Chimp
May 15, 2004
SJCx3, So Cal
you can buy the membership any time during any races or practice. My brother just farted like 5 times in a row too. MMMmMM, I can taste it :rolleyes: Is anyone up for Fontana the weekend after the dirt Jam contest?

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Fonzie18 said:
My name is Fonzie, I ride a Sledgehammer with shox and pegs, I take it off sweet jumps, I'm 15 and I'm fast. :rolleyes:

Don't worry about your competition mang, just race to have fun..Cam ann I'm starting to sound like an old man.
Don't listen to Alf. Race to win. :rolleyes:

I'm going to race beginner, podium, then resume my spot as bicycle fixer for the 6pack

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
I'm hoping to come down for the 29/30. I've never raced before and there does not seem to be much info on the site. I'd be driving down on friday night, practice saturday and race sunday correct? Is the race still held if its rainy? Any cheap places to stay in the area?

Chris

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
yeah that's right....you have the days correct. There are a lot of hotels/motels near by...they have never cancelled a race due to weather for the 4 years I have been going there...D

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Sorry to say but fontana isnt the most safe place (across the street there are a lot of low riders, people with bandanas, and overall gangsters) we camped during one of the summer races and we heard gun shots and an ambulence. I would check out ontario arond the airport or something. But you might be able to find a nicer place in a different part of fontana.

Stab Primo

Chimp
Oct 17, 2004
Capistrano Beach in the OC
merrrrjig said:
Sorry to say but fontana isnt the most safe place (across the street there are a lot of low riders, people with bandanas, and overall gangsters) we camped during one of the summer races and we heard gun shots and an ambulence.
Hahaha, si, just like San Juan.

Hungry_Hank

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
urban sprawl (orange county)
merrrrjig said:
Sorry to say but fontana isnt the most safe place (across the street there are a lot of low riders, people with bandanas, and overall gangsters) we camped during one of the summer races and we heard gun shots and an ambulence. I would check out ontario arond the airport or something. But you might be able to find a nicer place in a different part of fontana.

sounds like santa ana!!

weman788

Chimp
May 15, 2004
SJCx3, So Cal
Hey alf, scince your pro, I looked for pictures of you on google, and the first picture that came up was " Alfonso Garcia, wanted for malesting and raping a 5 year old child. Armed robery, and first degree murder." Hell yeah I'm scared of mexicans, maybe not the sweet Alfonso I know though ;)

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
weman788 said:
Hey, konabiker. How old are you? Whats yo name? I wanna know my competitors :devil:
14, but im assuming i'll have to race in 15 because of the cut off date. I'm coming off of a compressed spine :dead: so im expecting to get owned.

on another note the weather isn't looking to good. would south ridge call the race if it was to rain? I dont wanna come all the way down from SB and have the race called off...