Quantcast

First Time Visit

dpt852

Chimp
Aug 21, 2007
Hi, although i am avid biker i am a complete newbie when it comes to downhill or freeride mountain biking. I am planning on going to Diablo with my friend on 8/27, since I have a bike that is nowhere close to being capable of the riding that will take place I am planning on renting a bike at the park, and i was wondering if you guys could help answer a couple questions for me.

1-What type of bikes do they rent, which one should i get?

2- When should I get to the park inorder to rent the bike (do they run out of rentals?)

3-How long do you have the bike for and what is included in rental.

4- what are some good trails to check out if I am fairly new?

I appreciate any and all feedback, and i hope that i see you all there.



dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
i don't feel like finding the thread on this. and i'm bored so here goes

they rent sundays and yakuza's rent the sunday
2- When should I get to the park inorder to rent the bike (do they run out of rentals?)
they normally don't run out but just incase call ahead.
you have the bike for that day. helmet, chest protector, shingaurds, elbow pads are included
tripledrop-skip over lower dominion-upper breakout, lower breakout, damboo/alpine

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ

I appreciate any and all feedback, and i hope that i see you all there.


you know a lot of these questions can be answered by spending 20 minutes on diablos website!

they rent sunday teams and 7 point 3s get the sunday

they do run out of rentals on a nice day, so call in advanced and reserve a rental.

you get the bike till closing, included with the rental is a full faced helmet, elbow pads, knee/shin gaurds, and a chest protector. i recommend you bring glasses or goggles because they really help.

take otb aka the easiest way down

i hate these stupid posts when people can just look at diablos site for the answers. :banghead: :banghead:

dpt852

Chimp
Aug 21, 2007
i did check the website, for like 3 hours and i couldnt find much info on the bikes that they rent, im not stupid. If you really dont like the post then have someone delete it

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
dpt852.... also, have an open mind and remember not everone is a dick at diablo like they are on the forums. If your looking for more info PM me, or member diablo_freeride.

Flat tyres

Monkey
May 30, 2007
Print the trail map and bring it with you, they dont always have them.

I would avoid certain trails until you are comfortable on the others......

Avoid the double diamonds - Deciet, ripper, utah, slayer, bmw.......they can be not fun if your not ready.

Talk to the riders there, 90% are cool people and might show you around.

Ride within your limitations, with that said, have fun.

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
Another thing, to add... try and ride with somone your skill level. It's good you are going with your friend. The mountain can be very overwealming, and its good to have a 'guide' this is why I say somone with similar skills.

dtp852 - you will be fine renting either bike... but honestly for the minor diffrence in price, I would just go for the IH Sunday. That bike should be a bit more forgiving, and overall you will receive a better experience. Plus, if you wind up liking it, and getting the DH/FR bug I believe Diablo sells the rental sundays at the end of the season for an awesome price.

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
Trails are extremely well marked... you can def. cover the whole mtn in 3 days and have a blast! Just ask anyone you see there if they mind if you guys rip a run with them, everone is really cool about that.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
diablo isnt as deadly as everybody makes it sound, it can be but i believe that EVERY drop has a sign before it giving time to stop. just have fun and dont ride above ur skill levell

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
Trails are extremely well marked... you can def. cover the whole mtn in 3 days and have a blast! Just ask anyone you see there if they mind if you guys rip a run with them, everone is really cool about that.
I second the trails are well marked, you can't get lost on the mountain, not that big. Although, a couple times during the week this season, i've had guys ask me where BMW starts. So it can be tricky.

davidt

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Just go, ride, and have fun, if you see something you're not Comfy with don't do it.....

besides there are tons cool people, not including myself, that you can ride with....

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
yea like everyone said, theres alot of locals that would show you around and answer questions. you really cant get lost at diablo, and if you do follow the trail downhill lol.

tree hugger

Monkey
Jul 18, 2007
just a tip, when you get off the lift and go right as everyone suggests, Dirt Merchant and Triple Drop share the same entrance. (Triple Drop runs along the red pipes). Take a minute to walk in there and check out the entrance. There's a 1' drop into Triple Drop, and a big rock face roller into Dirt Merchant that you may want to evaluate before you charge into it. You may want to start with OTB to the far left of Dirt Merchant as a warm up run. That's basically XC all the way.

There is usually ample warning and space to stop and check out the difficult sections on all the trails.