Quantcast

First work day of the season at Marrington Plantation

BD-DV07

Monkey
Nov 1, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
Hey Charleston locals and others who for some reason make the drive to Marrington to do some ridding.

anyways, Next Sunday, the 19th, anyone who wants to come out, meet at the main parking lot at Marrington Plantations at 10:00am. I would usually say met by the BMX area, but they've been doing a lot of construction work in those housing areas, so we most than likely will have to drive down the back road to get there anyways.. anyhoo.

Lets met at 10:00am, wait for stragglers only for a little bit, then head back to the BMX area, I figure do some trail cleaning, then see what we might want to plan for this year, pump track? bigger jumps? rhythm section? who knows. session there for a bit, then head over to the pit and do some brain storming for jumps, step ups, doubles, gaps, etc.

This year is going to be the year for Marrington, as long as we can get a solid crew for ridding and building, we all will have a good time!

here is a link for directions and stuff http://www.sctrails.net/TRAILS/ALLTRAILS/Multi-use/MarringtonPlant.html

anyways, who in?

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
I swear man you have an uncanny ability to schedule these on weekends I am out of town. I will be in Charlotte for business until Sunday evening. Honestly I couldn't anyway, I am sporting some bruised ribs from 26W a few weeks ago. Seriously take it easy after hurting ribs, if you don't you end up taking kewl meds and having to take it easy at work.... wait on the other hand keep riding hard and says screw the pain lol.

I will hook up with you guys later in the season. Has anything been said to done about having a skills area. I know that he doesn't want anything raised to high but if we went with an area that was no more than 1 - 2 foot off the ground with wider ladders/skinnies according to height I wonder if it would be an option. Seriously the teetor if a heck of a lot more dangerous that even a 3' high ladder drop.

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
26th sounds good. Maybe we can get a better turn out. Everybody start planning to make it out!! I may be able to get out there this weekend and scope some stuff out, and see how much overgrowth there is. See you guys on the 26th!!!

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
Don't reschedule anything due to me. Doc has me on light duty due to the ribs until the 2nd week in Nov. I will just come out on another weekend guys. I seriously don't want to screw my ribs up more than I did. Just playing with my kids after it happened caused another 2 weeks recoup time.

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
It's not you dude. Dave and myself would really like to get all the FR/DH/DJ guys around here out there at one time. It would be great to see all the gang and add some new freinds. Heal up man!!!

Jun 22, 2007
I am going to try to make it but I have to work all weekend most likely. I hope we can get some fun stuff going out there let me know if you guys can get together during the week to build.

BD-DV07

Monkey
Nov 1, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
Hey everyone!! just wanted to send out a thanks for those who came out to help clean up. the BMX area was in bad shape after the summer growth, but all the jumps are cleaned up and reshaped for the Charleston FR season. I have some pictures, but haven't had a change to post them, I should have time tomorrow morning once I get back from work. I think we're looking at doing some work at the pit, so if all works out for the next day we plan out, we can get semi-dry conditions. I should be speaking to the Land Manager this week, and will pich the idea of a DS-track over by the pit, lets hope we get permisison to build and maybe we can have some races in the spring.. wishful thinking.

BD-DV07

Monkey
Nov 1, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
Alright all you Charleston peps! I made a few phone calls, and got some awesome News!!! We just got permission to build a Duel Slalom Track at Marrington! I'll be out there next week with the Land Manager to walk through the area where we will be building. Though for those of you who know the Marrington Area, it will be just to the left of the Pit. There will be more to come.. but spread the word! This will be a big project for us, but one with a lot of benefits in the end I think. Can we say Race series? ( It would have to be Underground style until they would let us hold official races)

More to come guys..

BD-DV07

Monkey
Nov 1, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
Sorry it took so long, here are some pictures for the first work day a few weeks again.
heres, Brody going for the 360.

One over the table

Heres Medrock hitting the double.

Here something that was in the road on our way home.. Crikey!

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
Dave, have you talked to Don this week? We need lots of dirt dude!! Can you give me an idea of where you want to do the slalom course? Also talk with Don and see what the deal is with wooden structures, maybe the Navy has relaxed a little on that subject. Hopefully we can hook up for a ride soon. Later!!!

BD-DV07

Monkey
Nov 1, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
Dave, have you talked to Don this week? We need lots of dirt dude!! Can you give me an idea of where you want to do the slalom course? Also talk with Don and see what the deal is with wooden structures, maybe the Navy has relaxed a little on that subject. Hopefully we can hook up for a ride soon. Later!!!
Hey man, I have not talked to don this week, If you need dirt, I can mention it too him when I call him about some stuff, but he has survay flags at the spots we're still waiting on dirt from the spring, so if we need him to drop more off we have to mark the location off with those little yellow flags because I call and ask. As for wooden structures, that is a NO still, in a military perspective, for the Navy to justify saying yes to wooden structures, Don would probably have to write up a safety policy that goes with how all stunts are built, they would have to be extremely well built, and have to probably be inspected each year. When it comes to Safety, the military is very up tight and doesn't usually get less strict about it, if anything they get more strict. I'll ask him though.

As for the slalom course, Don and I haven't done a walk through yet, but hopefully will tomorrow or Friday. And if you want to know where its going to be, its going to be over by the Pit ( If we build) Now have I got the 100% go ahead yet, NO! So everyone needs to wait for that. That's a big big project, so I'll have to plan it out well. I'll give it its own Thread because I know a lot of people will be interested in that from a good distance. And no building till after the project has been started, this will be one of those things that you have to know whats going on where so we dont have to fix bad work later. I'll make it a joint effort in laying out the course between the regulars. I know we may have to have trail work day with Don to use that trail brush lawnmower thing to cut out the track, then maybe other heavy machinery. Again, we'll get there when we get there.

I think that's about it, I'll post again if I get the word that the Land Manager will be able to drop off some dirt this week, other wises just be patient. Just remember, if you request dirt, and I make the call, and I cant make it out to do some work, make sure someone gets out there to move some dirt around into something that looks somewhat like a jump as soon as we can.

Last edited:

BD-DV07

Monkey
Nov 1, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
oh by the way, I might be free to do some digging this Saturday Morning, anyone up for it? I'm thinking in working on some lines at the Pit.