Quantcast

First XC on Socom

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Well, I took the new rig out for its first XC ride today. It did so well I couldnt believe it. The ETA on the 66 really helps. I made almost the entire climb. There were a few switchbacks and steep sections I just got off and walked. The climb is 6.5 miles up and a little over 3000ft vertical. It took me about an hour and a half. Most the climb is granny. Im so glad we got a front derailer to work. It took about 20 minutes to get down. Here are a few pics.

Almost to the top.

Closer

Looking back.

The lake was really low. There was a little snow in the shaded areas.

My lift up.

Closer and getting ready to go down the mountain.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Awesome pics. 11/2 hours of climbing for 20min of pleasure huh? Talk about earning your turns...

Sounds like you made the right choice for your rig...purty.....

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Awesome pics. 11/2 hours of climbing for 20min of pleasure huh? Talk about earning your turns...

Sounds like you made the right choice for your rig...purty.....

Usually we get more DH for such a long climb, but the DH is SUPER fast on this ride. Montana is all about steep ups for awesome DH. Gotta earn it around here. Not many shuttles and not much lift access around here.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The bike rides so well its amazing. Does almost everything better than my old FLY. I need to get use to the low BB.

The trail is in Kalispell.

jd9483

Chimp
Oct 5, 2007
awesome pictures! I climbed Granite Peak a year ago, and that looks a lot like the hike to the plateau. Ever been the Granite Peak? I wonder if its possible to ride...

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
that's pretty much what i want my sx trail to look like once i finish everything up. very nice bike, and very cool to hear that a dh race bike can be used for all mountain stuff successfully.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
awesome pictures! I climbed Granite Peak a year ago, and that looks a lot like the hike to the plateau. Ever been the Granite Peak? I wonder if its possible to ride...
You can see Granite Peak from up there if I remember right. Ive never hiked it but Ive heard its a good hike. I dont think you could ride it though.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Im still working on the weight. In heavy form its 41 with DH wheels and 2.7/2.5 DH tires. With I9 wheels and lighter 2.35 DH tires it should be around 38. The light wheels havent shown up yet.

frame-08 small Intense Socom 150mm rear spacing
fork-07 66 RC2 ETA
shock-Roco WC with ti spring
grips-North Shore lockons-silver rings
bars-Easton EA 70 high rise 25.4mm
stem-Thompson DH 50mm 0 rise
brakes-Hayes Stroker trail 8"
wheels-white Azonic Outlaws
tires-Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5/2.7 3C
tubes-XC tubes
cranks-FSA Gravity Lite 22/36
guide-black Evil DRS---Gamut bash on its way
seatpost-black Thompson elite
seat-WTB ti-Rocket V
seat clamp-Salsa QR
headset-Cane Creek Double Xc
chain-Sram PC 991
cassette-XT 11/34
derailers and shifters-Sram X9

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
I would love to keep DRS but I'm always outpedaling my 36t ring - are there any ramped 38 or 40t rings? I'm thinking of switching to SRS for a 40t ring, are there any ramped 40t rings or will I have to go for 44?