Quantcast

fish in foil (dinner last night)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
tried something a bit new last night...took some whole sea bass, sliced onion and garlic (didn't have a fennel bulb), laid the fish over it. then salted and peppered the fish in and out, stuffed the cavity w/ basil and parsley and scattered some fennel seeds in too. squeeze some lemons over, and lay lemon slices. splash w/ oil.

wrap up tight, and throw on the grill (med-high heat) for ~20 min or so.

served it up w/ some homemade pecan pesto, and a side salad of tomatoes, avocado, blue cheese, and cucumbers. a bottle of cloudy bay chardonnay matched nicely.

:dancing:

Attachments

radbradus

Chimp
Jul 10, 2004
hey guys we do a similar thing w/ trout up here in tn. it is also tasty to make your own little foil bake dish and melt some butter in it - season to taste and grill away. let's see fishin or ridin , decisons , decisions.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the pecan pesto was a nice addition...a friend of mine suggested swapping the traditional walnuts or pine nuts w/ pecans and it's a solid idea.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
narlus said:
tried something a bit new last night...took some whole sea bass, sliced onion and garlic (didn't have a fennel bulb), laid the fish over it. then salted and peppered the fish in and out, stuffed the cavity w/ basil and parsley and scattered some fennel seeds in too. squeeze some lemons over, and lay lemon slices. splash w/ oil.

wrap up tight, and throw on the grill (med-high heat) for ~20 min or so.

served it up w/ some homemade pecan pesto, and a side salad of tomatoes, avocado, blue cheese, and cucumbers. a bottle of cloudy bay chardonnay matched nicely.

:dancing:
That looks way good!!!! We need to get back to more posts like this here.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
radbradus said:
hey guys we do a similar thing w/ trout up here in tn. it is also tasty to make your own little foil bake dish and melt some butter in it - season to taste and grill away. let's see fishin or ridin , decisons , decisions.
Ya I've had rainbow trout cooked like that already...GOOOOOOOOOOOD

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
jollyrodger said:
Good choice on the wine, if I might say so.
had cloudy bay for the 1st time in '95 when i was in NZ. a friend's dad wanted me to get a bottle for him, so i grabbed one myself too. i'm not a big chardonnay fan, but it's a fave of me (along w/ cakebread). back in the us, you can find CB sav blanc all over the place, but the chardonnay is rarer and definitely pricier. it's actually a better deal over in ireland, even w/ the VAT.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
On the grill in foil is the only way to prepare fresh fish.

Next time, try salmon with butter, garlic, breadcrumbs, salt, and jerk sauce. Try to find a somewhat authentic jerk sauce, not something from Kraft or Heinz if possible. One of my favorite meals.

B_A_MTBIKER

Monkey
May 4, 2004
Where the wild things are
narlus said:
on a fish big enough, the cheek meat is an often-overlooked tasty morsel. i highly recommend scavenging them from less savvy diners.
The cheek meat is highly overlooked but if you have a large enough fish and enough of them it is worth searching for and enjoying.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I've tried to foil and it works very well. But alas, I am a beer man and have almost no clue what what all that fancy wine talk means.