Quantcast

Fish tank post 2, to UG or not to UG?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
OK, so I went out and bought a 40 gallon long tank....and then some parts from another guy. Included two undergravel filters (one very long one??)

I have an aquaclear 60/40, which I was going to use, so should I even bother with the undergravel filter?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I use power heads wityh my UG filter...helps keep the cleaning down to a minimum...I have a 55 gal plexi....D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i don't even know how they work...but it turns out the filter i have is a whisper 60, which I think is similar to their new power filter (triad or something). Regardless, should do a hell of a job as a filter, but I have a lot of air pumps and the undergravel setup....I just wonder if I should bother or just use the HOB powerfilter.

40 gallon long, freshwater, probably going with some random tropical fish.

Oct 30, 2001
Fremont
UG can work great but if you go with africans they will dig up the gravel. You need to determine what type of tank you want. Community fish, teritorial ones, perhaps a plant tank. Is this a first time tank for you? Check out the local stores and check out the magazine rack. The bigger the tank the more stable the water conditions will stay. Plan from the start and be patient.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Dont even bother with the UG Filter!!! Undergravel filters are bad!!! Never use one!!! I know they are cheap, and the hang on skimmer/overflow are a bit more expensive, but worth every penny if you desire a great looking tank. All you need is the hang on over Flow type with a Bio-Balls Filter/Sump. Use a few powerheads to generate flow so foods and wastes will not settle in the gravel. You may also want to get a water vacuum so Once a month you can vaccum the gravel when you perform a water change. UG Filters will trap all kinds of food particles, Fish Waste and such that will only produce Nitrites, Ammonias and Phosphates and cause a huge algae bloom and cause your fish premature death!! Trust me. Anyone whom has been in the Aquatic hobby for a while will tell you the same thing! I have had all kinds of tanks FW and SW...Check my current tank. http://www.pattersonofficenet.com/pattersonsreef

urbanhuckbot

Monkey
May 28, 2004
use the aqua clear and the ug, i love them, some hate them, but i like the way they pull everything to the bottom for easy syphoning.
use power heads or an air pump, it doesnt matter, none of this matters .

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
for most freshwater fish, UG is fine provided you don't overfeed. They actually encourage a stronger bacterial community to break down waste, ultimately leading to a more stable tank.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
bpatterson6 said:
I have had all kinds of tanks FW and SW...Check my current tank. [/url]
Dang.......I wish I could take the time and $$$ to have a nice reef tank. I have a 65gal that would make a nice salt tank. Right now it's just a community FW tank. I run an UG with two power heads as well as some bio filter something on the back.

ghettorigged

lawn dart extraordinare
Apr 8, 2002
Killadelphia
If you want live plants, don't go with the UG. :)

44gal setup: I have a Fluval canister filter that does a great job. I have angels & tetras (gasp, yes, with angels) and a lone algae eater. All but the algae eater are over 1.5 years old and BIG.

Good luck and enjoy! :)

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
When I was in High School I had a fresh with an UG. It did fine. Honestly though, I think my SW set up is less manitenance than my FW was. You might want to sit down and think about what you want first. This hobby tends to have a domino effect. But then again what hobby doesn't.

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
jacksonpt said:
for most freshwater fish, UG is fine provided you don't overfeed. They actually encourage a stronger bacterial community to break down waste, ultimately leading to a more stable tank.

I used to have a couple of tanks. The UG did seem more stable, but was a bit more of a hassle to clean. I treated my powerfiltered tank with something called Biozyme. It was freeze dried bacteria. It established a good culture and kept it looking great.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
HedgeHog said:
The UG did seem more stable, but was a bit more of a hassle to clean.
What did you keep in them??? Once a tank is stable, you shouldn't have to clean it (unless you have algae problems). I've kept several aggressive, sloppy fish (all before I got into saltwater), all with UG filters and never cleaned them. Most of my fish have been happy enough to spawn. That was several years ago.