Quantcast

Five Ten 2011 ( SPY SHOTS )

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
They've done the impossible. Made them even uglier.

HAHAHA was thinking about the same thing, espacially the Carver model:rofl:

BUT, would be interested to hear reviews on the Minnaar shoe and how it stacks up against the Vans Warner and Shimano DX shoes.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
If I had to choose, I'd go Spitfire. My chainlove Rennies are still going to be around for a while...

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
So are they doing the standard Impact 2 as well? In any case, I might be tempted by a Karver now that they don't look so nu-metal. I'm still not a massive fan of the style but the lace cover could be handy for the UK winter.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Comment not so funny because you have to explain to new school kids that SPD designates Shimano patented pedals and that Minnarr runs the Crank Brothers pedal system.:(
I said clipless, not SPD'S!!!! I know very well about the Crank Brother thing not being SPDs, I was using SPDs when I raced DH in 1998!! The big red 646 pedals that were like a ton each

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Comment not so funny because you have to explain to new school kids that SPD designates Shimano patented pedals and that Minnarr runs the Crank Brothers pedal system.:(
I'm not talking about the punters on here, but 5.10 themselves have called it the "Minnaar SPD", I know the term SPD has become ubiquitous with any clipless pedal/shoe, but fuu*ck, surely the fellas at 5.10 would not want to be giving away free advertising! I'm also pretty sure Vans have done the same thing with the Warner.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'm not talking about the punters on here, but 5.10 themselves have called it the "Minnaar SPD", I know the term SPD has become ubiquitous with any clipless pedal/shoe, but fuu*ck, surely the fellas at 5.10 would not want to be giving away free advertising! I'm also pretty sure Vans have done the same thing with the Warner.
Keep in mind that somewhere in all that naming mess is a stoked to be pumped marketing rep and it makes it an easier pill to swallow.:weee:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Sh!tting all over new designs is really getting old... it really really is getting very tiresome.

Liking the blue Karvers a lot.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
crank bro cleats (and just about every other mtb cleat) are compatible with the "SPD standard" shoe inserts, hence the shoes being called "spd"

when shimano coined "spd" it referred to many things... standards covering shoe design, cleat design and pedal design. some companies lisense the cleat/pedal designs, some are a tiny bit differnt and called emergency compatible, some are totally different, but the SPD shoe interface (ie the distance between the sliders, threading, hole diameter) is open-source, and most companies buy the metal slider from shimano to put into their shoes.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Vans rocks every color under the sun yet no hate. Oh, what am I saying? They're fruity and belong on Hot Tub Time Machine, but at the same time, at least we have options. Why chocolate brown is not one, I can't wrap my mind around.

I love brown chocolate brown skate shoes and for some reason, it's the only color banned in 2010?

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
the freeriders are a good looking shoe in a different color. Give me tan with gum soles (ala etnies sal barbier or the original airwalk Jason Lee's)
Hellz to the yeah with the Sal shoes. I had some way back that were low tops, white suede, black laces, black outer sole, #23 on the back. Those were some of my favorite skate shoes. Hung on to them for 5 years.

If i rode more Dh and flat pedals, I'd try finding some old skool Airwalk Proto's. I loved those shoes back in the day.