Quantcast

Fix my Elixirs

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Hi,

I'm riding some 2011 Elixir CRs (the X9s by the new terminology), and I just had quite possibly the worst bleeding experience I've ever had with any brake. I followed Avid's advice exactly, pulling on the syringe to remove air bubbles, etc, but I still can't get very good feel out of them. Sure, they engage, but only after pulling the lever halfway through its travel. This is certainly not my first time bleeding brakes, and I have a lot of experience bleeding Avid Juicys with no issues.

I tried re-bleeding 2 more times and ended up pulling additional air out of the system each time even though no more bubbles could be extracted on the bleed prior. The feel has not improved and its driving me nuts. Another thing I should mention is that when pulling on the plunger of the syringe, there is a slight crinkling noise from just behind where the lever blade mounts to the lever assembly, like a piece of stiff rubber being pulled and pushed back and forth and deforming. This occurs with both brakes.

I know that Avid has redesigned the master cylinder and the location of the bleed port on the new levers to increase bleed effectiveness. Are there any insider secrets that you guys have short of "just buy Shimano"? I tried the search function and couldn't find anything other than what Avid already suggests, thanks for the help.

toowacky

Monkey
Feb 20, 2010
Pac NW
SRAM has a new vid up (19.03.2011). Might be worth a watch if you haven't checked it or are using the old print version instructions.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
its essentially the same as what i had seen before, just a little more detailed about certain things like flicking the lever, which i did anyways. it may be that the brakes are just extra finicky to bleed, i'm hoping i can snag some shimanos for cheap one of these days.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I told you the solution when you bought those stupid things, they're called formulas.

Try pulling the the brake off the bike and mounting it to a bar, mount the bar in a repair stand and try bleeding it with the line strait up and down with the caliper hanging down. I've found that can help getting stubborn air bubbles

Eye of One

Chimp
Apr 2, 2011
Surrey B.C. CANADA
It is possible that you could have a small leak allowing air to enter back into the system but not really show fluid externally, is it with both brakes or just the one.

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
having 4 pairs of Elixirs myself they can be a pain to bleed, for me the issue arises when removing the bleed syringe from the lever body, no mater how I do it to much fluid leaks out and an air bubble forms. after a lot of trial and error I came up with a solution that take care of the air bubble behind the bleed screw.

what I did first bleed the brakes as in the video, then with the pads still out pump the lever to bring the pistons in just a touch, then bleed just the lever to get as much fluid in as possible. No close up the system.

The trick now is to use a box end wrench to push the pistons back into their bores while simultaneously cracking open the lever bleed port, this eliminates most of if not all of the air behind the bleed screw and then the pistons bottom out quickly tighten the bleed port.

hope this helps you