Quantcast

Fixed Gear Manual

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
okay, someone explain why toe-clips are good for fixies. I'm really interested because the experience that I've had with them on other types of bikes left a lot to be desired. Is it just a fashion thing that goes with fixies or is there a legit benefit.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
okay, someone explain why toe-clips are good for fixies. I'm really interested because the experience that I've had with them on other types of bikes left a lot to be desired. Is it just a fashion thing that goes with fixies or is there a legit benefit.

Power down - SPD's are designed to pedal, not backpedal, and the imminent risk of ejection is omnipresent. Flats - same deal - how do you effectively back pedal (No I dont need some hipster A$$hat telling , me proper technique - I will be arrogant enough to claim to have been a 'real' messenger in the 80's riding a fix.)

Although not DESIGNED to backpedal, straps let you really ride without concern of ejection and allow you to really stroke the pedals; I use doubles and you cant pull out unless you reach down and loosen by hand!! (OOH!) - In addition - fixes are historically messanger bikes (tho not exclusively) and being able to use the same shoes is butter.

No hips-on-the-stem-leg-locked skids - Neutral position hip out skids (if you MUST skid) are the propa way (no need for a padded top tube, or to use the bars as a leg brace.)

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
fashionista rants aside, i do appreciate the minimalist elegance of fixies. kinda look like fun as well... heaps of titanium:

on the one hand, i had to laugh at that blog...near my city dwelling there's a velodrome, and the emo guys park their fixies and watch the track guys race, and smoke cigarettes while chatting w/ inevitably pudgy and pasty emofemales...my singlespeed is completely matte black, clean lines, and i can see them checking it out as i ride by but they lose interest when they see that i can coast on my single speed. :banana:

on the other hand, pictures like the one above are pure hawtness, minimalist style.

so whatever. as long as no one on either side takes themselves too seriously, it's all good.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
hah one of my co-workers goes on and on about track bikes, he loves them...and several others at the shop race fixies.

then theres me.