Quantcast

Fixie Decision Made.

Deshi

Chimp
Aug 31, 2007
Tempe, AZ
Like the title says, I have made up my mind on which Fixie I am going to run. I decided to build my own. As stated in my other thread, I bought a Fuji Special Road Racer from a friend of mine and stripped it tonight. I stripped off all the braze ons and am about to strip the paint. I know she is a bit rusty and the Special Road Racer was not a top machine in its day but im happy with the frame. After a respray and some nice new parts, I think it will be a great Fixie. What do you think?

Attachments

Deshi

Chimp
Aug 31, 2007
Tempe, AZ
Awesome.

But you're not going to have it professionally painted?
Actually no I am not going to have it professionally painted. I am going to try my hand at the rattle can. It am going with a really simple solid color. Either Satin black or a really dark grey. I would look into a professional paint job but this is a budget build.

Ingleside

Chimp
May 15, 2007
San Francisco
be sure to get your real axle nuts super tight. there is nothing worse than having your rear wheel slip and slide froward due to the forward facing dropouts on your frame.

Deshi

Chimp
Aug 31, 2007
Tempe, AZ
Well, I hate to say it but I think I have to stop the Fuji build. The investment just doesnt make since to me considering age of the frame. I dont see it being worth the money for a base line frame. For roughly $160 more, I can buy a new Pake lugged frame and fork. Thats just what I see though. So, does anyone want a Fuji S-10S frame and fork from 1971?

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
you can build the frame and if it breaks or you don't like it, use the parts for a new setup. i rock a 86 Romic frame and love it. i have never had a wheel move in the drops but i also have been riding SS and fixed for yrs so i have tightened down a few wheels in my time. any wheels/parts you use will be transferable to another build.

i think it will look sweet once you are done. the pake frames are ok too. heavy but not bad for the price. IRO is having a sale too. Check them out if you really want to go new, great prices.

fixies are super trendy right now. i already see them being turned over in numbers and i bet you could find something sweet on CL. its an accessory for many people that have never really been into cycling to begin with so you will see plenty of great deals out there in the future. post pics when you get the build complete, good luck!

Deshi

Chimp
Aug 31, 2007
Tempe, AZ
you can build the frame and if it breaks or you don't like it, use the parts for a new setup. i rock a 86 Romic frame and love it. i have never had a wheel move in the drops but i also have been riding SS and fixed for yrs so i have tightened down a few wheels in my time. any wheels/parts you use will be transferable to another build.

i think it will look sweet once you are done. the pake frames are ok too. heavy but not bad for the price. IRO is having a sale too. Check them out if you really want to go new, great prices.

fixies are super trendy right now. i already see them being turned over in numbers and i bet you could find something sweet on CL. its an accessory for many people that have never really been into cycling to begin with so you will see plenty of great deals out there in the future. post pics when you get the build complete, good luck!

I really like IRO frames but the shop I work at sells Pake so the frame and fork are super cheap for me. I pay wholesale at my shop. I would love to do a conversion but like I said, I can go completly brand new for a few bucks more and to top it off, I have a Specialized Langster London on order. Not sure if it will ever come in considering the last time I checked on it they are oversold buy about 100. Iv had the bike on order for about 2 months now and still waiting. We will see. Honestly though, If anyone is interested in the Fuji frame, I will post in the for sale forums for ya.