Quantcast

Fixing an insurance repair?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My neighbor knocked down my motorcycle last month while parking her Miata (!), damaging the fairings, a mirror, lever, and some other odds and ends.

She was very nice about it and I got the insurance check.

Since I was planning on selling it this year or early next one, is there anything wrong with installing the parts just before I plan on selling?

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
Nothing wrong with putting them on just before you sell it unless you want to put some miles on them. If the old parts aren't too jacked up you can show your prospective buyers what you replaced and explain why.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
That's true.

My plastics are scratched, not trashed. Could sell them as-is and make a few $$$.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I didn't think the Ruckus has fairings?

Either that or you could just sell the bike as is and pocket the cash. The insurance compensation is technically your compensation to return the vehicle to its previous condition. Nothing says that you have to. I would look to see what you think you could get for the bike with/without fixing it or maybe just the mirror/lever. Otherwise, I would ride it till you are ready to sell it and then replace stuff so everything is perfect when you go to sell it.