Quantcast

flat land rocks!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I did a moderate ride this weekend of 60 miles. My club sponsors a ride call the Katy FLAT land. I honestly don’t think there was on climb on the whole thing. 30, 60, and 100 mile routes. i did it on my mtb and was going to do the 100 but i got the start time of my own ride wrong so i bailed at the 60 miles cutoff because of the heat, air near a 100 and the road temp way over that. luckily there was a 10 to 15 mph wind.
i kept my hr under 80% (should have been below 70 but oh well)
i avg 17.1 for 3:16 (or so on the computer) with a total ride time of 3:26
My buddy who was on his Ht and used this as one of his last training rides before Leadville did it in less than 3 hours.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
well i do like my road bike and i ride it a lot BUT since i'm less than 45 days from whistler i really have to dial in the fit on the mtb and get used to being in the saddle for long periods of time.
the road bike go's oh so fast though!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Knuckleslammer said:
I don't road bike as I don't like them. Kudos for the long asss ride on the MTB. I ride mine street all the time.

Knuckle
i started about 15/20 minutes behind the field. we have about 2500 rides show up for this ride and i passed about half of them. i love roadie dropping on my mtb. :blah:

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
I couldn't ride a road bike around here. Too many has beens driving that can't drive. I'd be sure to get killed. I don't know if I'm being an idiot here, but isn't it better for you if your riding a 35lb mtb with 2.5 tires on it rather than a road bike which is probably easier to ride on the street? I know you can ride a lot further on the road bike, that's a given. I usually only have 2 hours to ride after work anyhow so the mtb is fine on the road by me.

Knuckle

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Knuckleslammer said:
I couldn't ride a road bike around here. Too many has beens driving that can't drive. I'd be sure to get killed. I don't know if I'm being an idiot here, but isn't it better for you if your riding a 35lb mtb with 2.5 tires on it rather than a road bike which is probably easier to ride on the street? I know you can ride a lot further on the road bike, that's a given. I usually only have 2 hours to ride after work anyhow so the mtb is fine on the road by me.

Knuckle
Depends on the goal but I do see your point and don’t necessarily disagree.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I disagree with everything you have to say all the time - it helps me pass the time...

Knuckleslammer said:

Knuckle

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Well, let me go out on a limb here and add fuel to the fire.
These are the primary reasons I refuse to ride a road bike
1. They look stupid
2. You have to dress up like a clown in order to be comfortable.
3. See #2
4. I'm not shaving my legs, nuts yes, legs no.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Yes, I agree - seeing a guy ride down the street in cammo pants while riding a 40LB bike with 5" of travel and 2.5" tires makes much more sense and looks way less clown like... :oink:

Knuckleslammer said:
Well, let me go out on a limb here and add fuel to the fire.
These are the primary reasons I refuse to ride a road bike
1. They look stupid
2. You have to dress up like a clown in order to be comfortable.
3. See #2
4. I'm not shaving my legs, nuts yes, legs no.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
roadie clothes don't look any sillier than most dh jerseys, the only difference is that they're tight. if anything, wearing dh race garb with brands and sponser names all over it is more clown like because they're baggy :p. but i don't like tight clothes either. i don't have the kind of figure that anyone wants to see in lycra, anyway.
i'm not sure i agree with you though that pedaling a 40 lb squishy bike is "better" for you. it probably gets your heartrate to about the same level, but it's harder on your knees and probably doesn't tone leg muscle in the same way. it sure as hell is tiring though and it's definitely a workout. it does look a helluva lot cooler though. and you can play around on dh bikes as you pedal along...