Quantcast

Flat Pedals for a clipless geek

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Ok. I've been riding clipless pedals all my life from xc to dh (12 years now) and last year I've build up a dj bike with flats. It made me realise I can be much more agressive If I know I'm not clipped in so now I'm looking for flat pedals any my main concern is good grip because the ones on my dirtbike are average. A thin and wide platform is nice, weight is not a big concern as they will anyway be lighter than my clipless pedals. Price up to 100$ (I'm not going to spend more untill I feel 100% confident about the switch).

My options so far are:
Superstar CNC Nano flats (basicaly the same as Kona and Diety)
http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=127
Superstar CNC Nano thru
http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=194
HT An02SS

What other options I have and which one of the 3? I have little knowledge about flats. Only thing I know is I'll be rocking the 5.10s

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Look into straitline. I have em and love em.

In a flat pedal, the new "things to look for" are low profile, pin length, removable pins?, and serviceable bearings.

edit: and i know you dont want to spend more than $100, but i can guarantee you will be confident with your switch on these guys. otherwise, on your list go with the ones that are like decoys/konas. very trusted, well proven and reliable

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Look into straitline. I have em and love em.

In a flat pedal, the new "things to look for" are low profile, pin length, removable pins?, and serviceable bearings.

They don't fit the <100$ part. I've read what too look for but I'm still not sure.

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
If you've got 5.10's then you are set on just about anything for grip, I've had to take pins out of certain pedals so I could reposition my foot better.
I think thin is the way to go. I've got a set of wellgo b065's that are pretty darn thin, around $40, nice pins, sealed bearings. Not very bling but I guess thats up to you...
I would like to try the canfields but I can't justify spending that much on pedals.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I have some nukeproofs on the way to try. They have adjustable pins, cartridge bearings and retail for about $99usd I am told. 415g a pair with chromo axle.
Aren't they the same as the superstar or are they they ht instead of vp?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
You can Wellgo Mags with ti spindle for under $100. They are super light and great for the price.

24v

Chimp
Mar 10, 2010
Kona Wah Wah are a great pedal as well. I know quite a few people running them who have only good thinmgs to say. Another good one is the Azonic 420's.

downhillteam

Chimp
Jan 27, 2010

these are good pedals, the advantage is that you can put regular screws to put the screws for example, 1cm, for better grip.
The weight 470gr, prize 72€

Bigdroptoflat

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Maryland
I am a big fan of XPEDO flat pedals, wellgo's high-end brand. I've went through about 5 different pairs of pedals before I ended up going with these and I haven't had any issues yet plus they grip very well. Especially with 5.10's

Plus they're magnesium so it looks pretty rad when you slam them on a rock during a DH run and they spark!!!

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I am a big fan of XPEDO flat pedals, wellgo's high-end brand. I've went through about 5 different pairs of pedals before I ended up going with these and I haven't had any issues yet plus they grip very well. Especially with 5.10's

Plus they're magnesium so it looks pretty rad when you slam them on a rock during a DH run and they spark!!!

I ran that same set of pedals on my sunday and completely destroyed one of them. A few key impacts with rocks (always happens on teh sunday) led to my non drive side pedal to disintegrate. It's missing about half the magnesium on one side of the spindle now.

TrailzHozer

Monkey
Jan 29, 2010

those have to be the worst flat pedals ever. If you ride any kind of rocky terrain, you'll be lucky if they last you one ride. Heck, even if you don't ride rocky terrain, the minuscule bearing (yes - one bearing) usually don't last.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
those have to be the worst flat pedals ever. If you ride any kind of rocky terrain, you'll be lucky if they last you one ride. Heck, even if you don't ride rocky terrain, the minuscule bearing (yes - one bearing) usually don't last.
Yeah, I'm sure as hell I won't go mag pedals. I'm hopping on a new frame with an inch lower bb and still rock 170mm cracks. Also the nat cup and champs are on a track that 50% is pure rocks so they'd disintegrate after 1 run.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I had the Tioga MX's for years, I think I picked them up for 70 bucks. They have lasted me 4 years and counting

I agree - this is a good, classic pedal. Some of the new lower-profile pedals sure do look interesting though. I wish e13 would release their pedal :)

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I had the Tioga MX's for years, I think I picked them up for 70 bucks. They have lasted me 4 years and counting
This is one of my favorite pedal. Been running these since their introduction and even if I keep trying different flat pedals, I keep coming back to these. Most of my bikes have Tioga MX's bolted on the cranks. :thumb:

I also agree with TH - Those XPedo are garbage. I've killed a few pairs in a very short period of time. Xpedo did replace the broken pairs, but the bearing simply were not lasting more than a few rides :(

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Of the choices posted, I'd go with the thru-pin ones. less likely to have a pin ripped out.
Seconded. Set screws are inadequate for pedal pins. How do you get it out when you shear one off? I used to ride atomlab, now trying wah-wahs.

Another consideration is how thick the pins are. Thin pins (ala holzfeller, flatboy, etc) grip like a mofo, except they will tear little holes in the bottoms of your shoes more quickly and cease to function. As a fellow clipless geek, I can assume that you will be very particular about your foot placement, and the pins will hit the same spots in your shoe every time. For this reason, I would also consider running different pedals of different bikes

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Seconded. Set screws are inadequate for pedal pins. How do you get it out when you shear one off? I used to ride atomlab, now trying wah-wahs.

Another consideration is how thick the pins are. Thin pins (ala holzfeller, flatboy, etc) grip like a mofo, except they will tear little holes in the bottoms of your shoes more quickly and cease to function. As a fellow clipless geek, I can assume that you will be very particular about your foot placement, and the pins will hit the same spots in your shoe every time. For this reason, I would also consider running different pedals of different bikes
Well most of my friends run dartmoor pedals (or crappy bmx ones that have great grip but really small platform). So I'll probably soon try out this:

As for spec mags - I still don't trush mag for pedals that much. Maybe I'm prejudiced but I've had my share of stupid ideas and now I try to be more conservative about gear.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Kona Wah Wah are a great pedal as well. I know quite a few people running them who have only good thinmgs to say. Another good one is the Azonic 420's.
2nd the Wah Wah, I have 2 sets, one 2 yrs old, and they are going strong.

Get 5.10 Impacts too, they are key. I went from clips to flats a few years ago, started with 5.10s and Tranny Stepdown Pedals (Garbage, STAY AWAY). After 10 minutes I knew I'd never ride clips again.

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Wah wahs or another option Shimano DX for starting out.

When ya ready to commit, then Straitlines or my fav the Burgtec, there's a reason ya see a lot of the pro's who love flats wearing em, and here a tone of local top riders are running em to.

Not the lowest profile but through pins they're are strong yet to test my bearing life, but they've been around a long time and they're proven.

Oh there is a v.2 ver out with a lower profile but same basis as the original, love em.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
any flat peddles for a guy on a budget?
try these :

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=665

Personally , I've tried all kind of fancy pedals, Twenty6, Straitline, Spec.Mag pro ( kind liked those one actually ) Shimano DX and I find that they are all a big failure when you consider the price...The 26 being the worst for DH, Straitline are solid, I guess but still couldnt do more than one season on them.

Sure, some of them will give you better traction or they'll be lighter than others but NONE of them lasted me more than a full season.

Anything over a 100$ isnt worth the cash as far as Im concern...I still have a set of original V12 on my hardtail and those Wellgos are just as good and for less than 30 $

They arent the lowest profile out there but they're not bad, not too heavy, plenty of grips...and cheap.Ive had a set on my trail bike for over 6 months now,pretty good so far.I doubt the would last me more than a year on my DH but I can buy 4-5 pairs for the same price than a set of Straitlines...

sethius

Chimp
Jan 19, 2009
Well most of my friends run dartmoor pedals (or crappy bmx ones that have great grip but really small platform). So I'll probably soon try out this:
+1, I'm running Dartmoor fevers and using flat base basketball shoes and getting more than enough grip: I think 5 10's may be too much as I do like to move my foot around abit. Previous to that I had dark cycles arachnid, primo tenderizers, azonic a frames, wellgo v12 copies, da bomb something's etc

The fever has been the best preforming.

Ive got the 2009 model, 372g, they've been beefed up abit for 2010 and still only 380g.

If I had to buy pedals from CRC it would be the nc-17 pedals: arguably the grippest pedal I've come across.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
WHOA!!! $240 for a set of rock eaters?? Is Burgtec insane? That price is comical. Nothing could justify spending that kind of cash on pedals. Pardon my rant homies, but that there is redunkulous!

LambMan

Chimp
Jul 13, 2009
ATL
WHOA!!! $240 for a set of rock eaters?? Is Burgtec insane? That price is comical. Nothing could justify spending that kind of cash on pedals. Pardon my rant homies, but that there is redunkulous!
Trust-fund pedals

For that much I want gypsy tears sprinkled over the pedals for good luck

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
budddy of mine runs twenty6's and the pins are scary. They are these gnarly little taper pins, basically spikes. Slip a pedal with those and its almost guaranteed hospital visit.

I've really liked my Wellgo Mag's. I got them for liek $60 going on second season but i've tore some pins out so they'll need replacing.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I agree 100%. I really like the new penthouse flats but the price is mad. I think its cheaper from crc but still Im not going to pay for pedals the same I pay for a good set of cracks, 2 chainguides or a good hub.