Votes: 65 75.6%
  • New to them, former clipless rider

Votes: 21 24.4%

• Total voters

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Use flats if it's extremely wet and rooty or if I'm just just riding. If it's extremely rocky, or Dry and dusty, I'll go with clips.
I'll switch from clips to flats or vice versa depending on what the conditions of the terrain are.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I can't even successfully ride XC with clips. I've always ridden flats and always will on everything but my road bike. I don't think they slow you down that much at all ever (even XC) if you have proper technique.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Started on flats, dabbled for a season on clips found my self clipping out for jump/drop sections since I didnt like how the bike behaved in the air hence back to flats for the last few years.

If i rode anything resembling xc id run clips though

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
I've always used flat pedals, tried the CB Mallets for Xc/enduro/all mountain for a few months,
but never felt 100% comfortable.
So flats for everything now....

But the main reason I ride flats is because I wanna be like Sam Hill, Rennie, Brendog, Kovarik.....but just faster :)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I've ridden clips since hte day I got an MTB in 1993. Ritchey Logics. Rode them every day and raced DH every time until 2 and half years ago I did the whole drive to bring back 5.10's and got a couple free pairs as thanks. I've slowly over the last 2 years gone to flats on anything with turns and tech combined. If it's just a blitz with little tech, you'll see me in clips though. I race BMX in clips, ride XC in clips for sure.

But I race almost exclusively in 5.10's now. If I get bored of a trail I ride alot for XC, I throw on the flats and it's a whole new trail.

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
You can't have proper technique for road or xc without them. End of story.
well said. master the upstroke and your XC riding will improve 10 fold.

I use flats for DH, and clipless for XC simply because that is how I learned. I plan to try clipless for DH this season.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Rode Clipless for trails and XC for years. Went to Flats when I started Freeriding and racing DH. I like to be able to moove around on my pedals. I am old now and dont care much for peddeling anymore. Flats till Im done riding

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i run one of each, depending on the "hard" corner on the track.

depending on the track, i take both to races.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
Started on flats, switched to clips (with exception of dirt jumping), now back to flats because I got sick of breaking shoes and pedals. Love em, and won't go back, at least for DH and riding of that sort.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
You can't have proper technique for road or xc without them. End of story.
If you're racing XC, but I don't think many of us here are doing that. With a soft shoe, you can get enough upstroke with a flat pedal to stay with a fast pack of friends, and that's all I'm looking for.

Also, both times I raced CX, I used flats and both times I did well, 3rd and 2nd respectively. Granted I had an advantage on the dismount sections (especially with trail running shoes), but there was enough pedalling to even it out.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Flats for dh - must have been my 'early years' of BMX from '79-83 that kept me there. Then again if that was totally the case, I'd still be riding 180 mm Ashtabula 1 piece cranks too...

I ride clipless for xc, though, and may give it a try on the big bike this year.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
For XC, clips.
For techie-gnar DH, flats with 5-10's
For sea-otter style smooth DH race, clips

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I ride both. Course depending.
Mostly flats (Easton Flatboys & 5.10s) however.
I tend to be lazy with my pedals. If I switch to clips for a particular course, I will keep them on until I make the switch to flats for another course. Then run those until otherwise. Kinda year-on/year-off thing going...
Each time I make the switch I think its amazing. Each is good.

wildcard

Chimp
Jul 9, 2007
I used to run clipless.... waaaayyy back in the day. From 94' - 98'. Started riding again this year and I'm using flats. The flats I use are super sticky and haven't had any real problems yet. My feet left the pedals a few times on my first few big hits, but I learned not to let that happen real quick ;)

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I've been running 5.10s and Flats for the past few races and at Diablo and SnowShoe. I did lose a pedal through a rocky section at the MD state Championships and cut my legs up bad. I'm starting to consider switching to Mallets for races.

muddyfox

Monkey
Feb 13, 2002
North Vancouver, B.C.
I learnt to ride a mtn. bike on clips, but I'm comfortable riding either way. I keep both in my trunk and usually the deciding factor is either how much uphill riding is involved or how many skinnies.

engineerjoe

Chimp
Jun 20, 2007
colorado springs
I use clips for everything but DJ. With practice, flats can be just as fast and controllable as clips but I'm too lazy.
With clips I fatigue slower, and I go faster. Really it comes down to personal prefference.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Well I am OG (here anyway) and I run one or the other depending on conditions and my mood. I rode flats for years on bmx bikes, then switched exclusively to clipless for years, then about 7 years ago starting going back and forth. I prefer flats for DH, jumping, urban silliness and other technical stuff but clipless for anything with climbing or lots of pedaling in general.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Started with flats for XC and BMX in 1985, rode power grips from 1991 to actual toe clips in 1993... back to regular flats in 95, clipless for 1 year in 97 and then back to flats again, mainly because I had stopped seriously racing and just done trail riding. Finally tried a pair of clips for light dh and xc this year, but compared to my low profile flats, it felt like I was standing on stilts in the corners, so I've gone back to nothing but flats. I have yet to try 5.10s though, although 3 broken toes later from wearing skate shoes and I'm considering it.