Quantcast

Flat Screen TV Help!

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
here is another slightly off-topic question...

with the new over-the-air digital HD stations becoming more popular, do you need a special HD antenna or can they be picked up by a conventional antenna like SS's above? Continuing from my question earlier, my folks live in the boondocks and cable literally doesn't come out to their place. So this X-mas my sister and I are hookin em up with a new HDTV (they watch a ton of movies) and I know from a friend who still lives in the area that you can get a few local over-the-air-HD stations in their area (ABC, NBC, and FOX) so now I am wondering if I need to buy a new antenna too...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
here is another slightly off-topic question...

with the new over-the-air digital HD stations becoming more popular, do you need a special HD antenna or can they be picked up by a conventional antenna like SS's above? Continuing from my question earlier, my folks live in the boondocks and cable literally doesn't come out to their place. So this X-mas my sister and I are hookin em up with a new HDTV (they watch a ton of movies) and I know from a friend who still lives in the area that you can get a few local over-the-air-HD stations in their area (ABC, NBC, and FOX) so now I am wondering if I need to buy a new antenna too...
the antenna like SS posted will work if you have a direct line to the broadcast antenna.
if you dont have a straight shot to the antenna then you are SOL. if trees, mountains, tall buildings or anything else is in the way, you wont pick anything up. even if your friend that lives near them can get a signal, it doesnt necessarily mean your parents can.

edit: try this website to see if a tower is near them
http://antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

As long as the HDTV tuner is built-in the set.
every new tv must have a ATSC digital tuner in it

Last edited: