Quantcast

Flat Spots

Nemesis2

Chimp
Apr 4, 2003
Sackville NS Canada
Hey, the other night be and my friend were out in his front yard using the trials stunts we built. My friend thought he could hop OVER our bar thing gap about 3 feet of road on to the curb. He Gaped it allright but his back rim didnt, he smashed it on the corner of the curb and put a BIG ASS flt spot in it. Now what im wondering is is it possable to get rid of a flat spot.:help:

Feb 3, 2003
what kind of rim was it? when i flatspoted my d521, i got it relaced after i killed my hub, it helped a little, but not much.

Mecannoman

Chimp
Mar 16, 2003
hovering
It is possible - to a degree. First, the wheel would have to be de-built. With all the spokes removed, a tool (basically a press around a curve) would 'pull' the rim back into some semblance of round. Unfortunately, after this is done, a small crease usually appears in the rim. This tool is used for extreme cases, albeit not a perfect solution.

Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by Nemesis2
Oh well... may as well just get a new rim.
what rim have you flatspotted? and what are you thinking about getting next. lol
i did the same thing with my ditch witch, i hit it on a curb. but i just got a new wheel. cause my hub was ****. (d521 with deore disc hub) and then went to xt

Rev.Chuck

Monkey
Apr 11, 2003
Raleigh, NC
I flat spotted a road wheel once. I detensioned it, removed the spokes in the flattened area. Then, using a piece of oak in a big vice and a large rubber mallet, I massaged it back into round. I relaced the area and retensioned it. Rode it for three more years.
This is a lot of work but it was a vintage, out of production rim, on an older bike.

Rustmouse

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
Olympia, WA
How flat are we talking?

you can usually retension a wheel to get a pretty decent flat spot out, but in the end, if it's bad enough, you may as well replace it.

Aluminum doesn't take rebending well without heat treatment. It tends to get work-hardened and brittle at that point.