Quantcast

Flatland geometry for the skatepark ???

Jul 2, 2008
NJ
Similar to the "save my son from the big box..." thread, I need a little help with bike selection for my two sons. I'm thinking of something they can use for flatland, and also take to the local skatepark. They have BMX race bikes, and 16" bikes cobbled into low-geared trail bikes, so the new rides will be specifically for flat and park.

I'm an old school freestyler from back in the day when one bike did it all. I remember riding steep head angles on ramps and still find my '84 Redline perfectly suited to ramp duty (although I'm now a little rough around the edges...). However, in today's world, would someting like a KHE militant (click for ink) be too flatland-specific to have fun in a skate park? I'm a firm believer that flatland is a serious all-around bike-skill builder, so I'm kinda partial.

I realize that the KHE bike is a little extreme, but the geometry and frame size are a perfect fit for my sons! Given the fact they have bikes for other types of riding, it looks like it would fill the right niche.

Alternatives to the KHE are also welcome!!! I'd like to go with a complete bike, including gyro and front brake (u-brake type fork). 165mm cranks an added bonus, but I can always change them out myself...

Tom P.

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Similar to the "save my son from the big box..." thread, I need a little help with bike selection for my two sons. I'm thinking of something they can use for flatland, and also take to the local skatepark. They have BMX race bikes, and 16" bikes cobbled into low-geared trail bikes, so the new rides will be specifically for flat and park.

I'm an old school freestyler from back in the day when one bike did it all. I remember riding steep head angles on ramps and still find my '84 Redline perfectly suited to ramp duty (although I'm now a little rough around the edges...). However, in today's world, would someting like a KHE militant (click for ink) be too flatland-specific to have fun in a skate park? I'm a firm believer that flatland is a serious all-around bike-skill builder, so I'm kinda partial.

I realize that the KHE bike is a little extreme, but the geometry and frame size are a perfect fit for my sons! Given the fact they have bikes for other types of riding, it looks like it would fill the right niche.

Alternatives to the KHE are also welcome!!! I'd like to go with a complete bike, including gyro and front brake (u-brake type fork). 165mm cranks an added bonus, but I can always change them out myself...

Tom P.
You are right to go with a complete bike with 4 pegs, gyro, and front brake. There are other completes that fit this description besides specifically "flatland" bikes. A flatland complete will also have freecoaster (rear hub that allows bike to roll backwards without pedals spinning backwards). New school flatland bikes also tend to have no-rake or straight shooter fork with the axle directly below the fork leg instead of in front of it. They also tend to have super short reach stems.

From www.flatlandfuel.com :

KHE Stylus:

DK Signal:

The geometry of a flatland bike is fine for a little kid to ride at a skatepark; the head angle will be super quick because of the no-rake fork, (a regular fork would be better) but fiders adapt pretty quick (i think pro vert rider simon tabron used to ride a straight-shooter fork). The freecoaster could cause some more problems than a simple freewheel, but check it occasionally and make sure it's engaging well and the axle isn't bent. Plenty of park and street riders run freecoasters too (although usually the street version of a freecoaster, not the light-weight 3/8" axle flatland version).

You could also get an all-around freestyle complete (skipping the freecoaster and no-rake fork).

the Haro F series bikes still come with 4 pegs, front brake, and gyro. this is more along the line of what you probably think of as an "all-around" freestyle bike.
Here is the F 18". But at 30.75lbs it is heavier than it should be for a small kids bike.

Redline has some completes with gyros that are set up small.
2009 RIVAL

FRAME GEOMETRY
Head Angle: 72.5° - most bikes are 74 or 74.5, but 72.5 is okay. that's what tons of old school bmx bikes were, like gt performers and haro sports.
Seat Angle: 70°
Top Tube: 18.2" --->18.2 is short, good for small dudes.
Chainstays: 14.5" ---> a little long, they should have done 13.75" but it'll be alright.
BB Height: 11"

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/freestyle/bikes/Rival.html

SUBROSA LETUM 18":